Little hell in Brazil

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
First of all, I'm sorry about my english. I'm from Brazil and I'am here to share with you guys some informations that happend here in south america (specifically my country).

Here in Brazil there is a state called Amapá, its in north, close to French Guina, with a population close to 860,000 people. The state was without eletrical energy since 11-03-2020, when a storm crashed some generators that supply aproximately 90% of the entire state. Today (11-25-2020), the energy was reestablished.
Since the first day all the houses was without water, but the people was buying water in the stores. Till a moment. All the stores, supermarkets, sold all water and ice cube, the last used to keep food freezed. The population couldnt buy food because the banks was with no energy to get some money. Only some places like hospital was working under electrical generator. I heard some news about looting and violent protests. Tough times for those people, with a pademic going on, and heppens all this shit.
From events like this we can get some good informations about prepping. Like this event here in Brazil, a good water reserves and off grid electrical system would work well.

People simply do not fully understand just how very vulnerable much of the "" Civilised"" world is when it comes to its reliance on electricity.

In much of Europe the Electricty gives us light and heat and aircon in our homes etc, powers elivators, freezers, washing machines, TV's, radios, computers, industry etc BUT it also is involved in pumping water to the cities, pumping gas to homes and businesses, pumping sewage away from the city to the treatment plants, running irrigation pumps and pumps used to prevent flooding, powering much of our railways, air and maritime traffic control, incubators and other medical equipment etc. Many places are only ONE INCIDENT away from instantly going back to Victorian times.

Welcome aboard. Great example WS (I use abbreviations for everyone's name, WS = wintersoldier).

Here is the key difference: the people. In Amapa, I'm guessing people are relatively poor and hence relatively tough. If you turn off the cell phone of most Americans, they faint or go crazy. 3 weeks. Yes, it was an added hardship to their already hard lives in Amapa. But it was just an increment. Probably about the same 'increment' as turning off traffic lights in most of the USA. Not the power grid, not the water, not refrigeration, just traffic lights.

That is the level of difference. Most Americans are extremely spoiled and soft. And prepared for nothing.

Welcome aboard. Great example WS (I use abbreviations for everyone's name, WS = wintersoldier).

Here is the key difference: the people. In Amapa, I'm guessing people are relatively poor and hence relatively tough. If you turn off the cell phone of most Americans, they faint or go crazy. 3 weeks. Yes, it was an added hardship to their already hard lives in Amapa. But it was just an increment. Probably about the same 'increment' as turning off traffic lights in most of the USA. Not the power grid, not the water, not refrigeration, just traffic lights.

That is the level of difference. Most Americans are extremely spoiled and soft. And prepared for nothing.
Thanks for having me here. Yes, its a poor state. And about the soft people, they're everywhere.

Warm Welcome from the Arizona folks. USA Please tell us a bit more about yourself and your country. It is always nice to have the perspective of those actually living the events.
actually I dont live in Amapa, im from south. In Brazil, south and southeast are the most richest places. São Paulo, the most rich and largest city is in southeast. In july, a hurricane devastated my city and left us with no electrical energy during 6 days. Using the resources from my BOB and some preparation that we already have, the situation was under control.

actually I dont live in Amapa, im from south. In Brazil, south and southeast are the most richest places. São Paulo, the most rich and largest city is in southeast. In july, a hurricane devastated my city and left us with no electrical energy during 6 days. Using the resources from my BOB and some preparation that we already have, the situation was under control.

Outstanding that your preps were able to carry you and yours along during the outages. Good test to see what was needed and what you had on hand.

Talking about soft...
Last year one of my friends and her children stayed 3 nights in a hotel (Finnish prices so about €100 a night) because their water went off and they couldn't flush the flush the toilet or shower. They live rural like me but have no out house or preps. Even though she gets her water pumped from her well she decided to phone the local government for help. Bad idea as they contacted social services and reported her for child neglect over having a house with no water.

Last edited:
So what is it like right now on the ground there? I’m really thankful to have food to eat here but am very aware how fragile our system is and how quickly everything could change. I guess I’m asking for firsthand information to learn what I could expect if things go south here.

Latest posts

Back