Little BOB/GHB tricks

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gazrok

A True Doomsday Prepper
Reaction score
So, while assembling your BOB or GHB, did you come across any tips/tricks to share?
Here are some of mine.

Pills - Wrap them in a small square of foil or keep them in the original sealed little pack (otherwise, they turn to powder...DON'T store them in a pill FOB)

Carabiners - These things are just great, easy way to make items attach/detach from your pack. (also great for keeping water bottles staying in those little side pockets for them)

Tent Stakes + Tarp = Easy tent. Put the stakes through the grommets, and good to go.

And some others I'll add.

A way to pack larger items is to roll it as small and tight as possible to cut down on space usage. Also investing in a butt pack can save a lot of stress on your back and shoulders. I use as many things I can attach to my belt as possible to save pack space.

Another trick: using keyrings to attach items/carabiners to zippers (like pen lights, other keychain tools, etc.)

Put any liquids or gels containers in small ziploc bags (so if they spill, they don't make a mess of your pack, ruin other items).

Pill FOBS (keychain pill bottles) make great holders for matches.

Altoids tins or plastic mint containers are great for storing small items in your BOB.

Salt and Pepper packets from fast food restaurants are great for storing with your food in your BOB. (stay away from condiments though, in packets, unless also putting in a small ziploc as mentioned above).

Many belt clip items could instead be attached to your backpack straps.

For hands free light, get a baseball cap with LEDs built in.

Pull up a digital map (Google, etc.) of your bugout route, print it, laminate it. Should end though, not at your final destination, but at an area where you are then familiar enough of surroundings (so anyone else can't follow it to your loved ones directly).

Make a list of possible loot/resupply places on the way to your bugout location. (gas stations, pharmacies, food stores, etc.)

Save info on your smartphone. Documents, maps, how to pdfs, etc. If you have a crank cell charger, even if no phone service, can still use power to access data stored on the phone, like these documents.

I try to make sure I have a good route and know the possible resupply locations along the way. Possibly set up a code for waypoints so your family knows your progress, military alphabet is a good coode

I keep everything in ziplock bags for waterproofing. I use the small sandwich size bags and the gallon zipper storage bags. Besides protection from water, the storage bags help with organization in the BoB.

My biggest tip is be willing to leave your pack to others if it will safe your life. I have my route planned, and along the way I have small 3 day bags packed and buried along my route, in places it will be impossible for me to forget where they are.

We also have our stuff divided amongst four bags of varying sizes, with a few basic essentials duplicated in every bag so if we need to prioritize them for the sake of mobility, we can. Even the weapons/ammo bag has some food and water purification so that no matter which one we end up with, we'll be ok.

Latest posts

Back