Helpful Info. Lists of herbs and there medicinal uses.

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have lots of the long thin type too, but never harvested.
The narrow leaf plantain is the preferred of the both for stings and sunburn.
I mix about 50% plantain, 20% stinging nettels, 10 % dandelions, 10% thistles and 10 % Sorrel.
All together enough to fill a half gallon glass, cut it all to about a half inch long pieces, put into the jar and cover with a clear vodka, moonshine or such and let stand in an eastern window for 6-8 weeks. The energy from the plants makes a great tincture for coughs, asthma, brochontis and colds.
Filter it all and add honey to taste.
For those who do not want any alcohol, do the same with sour honey instead. (50/50 honey and vinegar) good for the children then also.
Cut a large handfull of plantain, chop it fine, mix it with just enough lard to make a salve and keep it in the fridge. You have a great salve for burns and stings at hand and cold...
The same mixture of leaves as above is also good in a soup with some chicken broth. Just do not let it boil, at or above 80°C/ 175°F, all veggies and plants lose their vitamins and energy!!

The narrow leaf plantain is the preferred of the both for stings and sunburn.
I mix about 50% plantain, 20% stinging nettels, 10 % dandelions, 10% thistles and 10 % Sorrel.
All together enough to fill a half gallon glass, cut it all to about a half inch long pieces, put into the jar and cover with a clear vodka, moonshine or such and let stand in an eastern window for 6-8 weeks. The energy from the plants makes a great tincture for coughs, asthma, brochontis and colds.
Filter it all and add honey to taste.
For those who do not want any alcohol, do the same with sour honey instead. (50/50 honey and vinegar) good for the children then also.
Cut a large handfull of plantain, chop it fine, mix it with just enough lard to make a salve and keep it in the fridge. You have a great salve for burns and stings at hand and cold...
The same mixture of leaves as above is also good in a soup with some chicken broth. Just do not let it boil, at or above 80°C/ 175°F, all veggies and plants lose their vitamins and energy!!
I really want some stinging nettle, but haven't seen any. I know I have some because while pulling weeds, I have been bitten by it. There seems to be quite a few look alikes.

Robin, if you don't find any and want some seeds, send me a pm and I'll ship you some. We don't have any growing here at the new place, which surprised me. I broke down and bought seeds. Made me feel ridiculous, but I didn't know what else to do!
Where did you buy them. I can just order some too.

Best of all, it is often a garden weed that people pay to have eradicated.
The following are comments out of the internet concerning purslane and I just wanted to share it with you all.

I've been eating this plant for years. But it also makes a fabulous farm animal fodder, my chickens and ducks absolutely love it, pigs, goats and sheep. It's an excellent cut-and-come-again plant I pull up all of the side shoots in one hand and cut about an inch and a half from the base so it can regrow. You can dig it up and Transplant it anywhere you'd like. Free food for us and our animals!

We Indians have been eating this plant by adding potatoes
🥔
in it for cooking from ages, this weed grows normally in potatoes field
😋
it is know as Kulpha

The following are comments out of the internet concerning purslane and I just wanted to share it with you all.

I've been eating this plant for years. But it also makes a fabulous farm animal fodder, my chickens and ducks absolutely love it, pigs, goats and sheep. It's an excellent cut-and-come-again plant I pull up all of the side shoots in one hand and cut about an inch and a half from the base so it can regrow. You can dig it up and Transplant it anywhere you'd like. Free food for us and our animals!

We Indians have been eating this plant by adding potatoes
🥔
in it for cooking from ages, this weed grows normally in potatoes field
😋
it is know as Kulpha
I noticed my purslane is doing well this year. Tried transplanting to a separate garden a few years ago, but they all died. So I just wait for them to grow in my bean garden.

I am. I haven't ordered their moringa but their other seeds were good. I still haven't planted the nettle since I'm so behind, but I have planted others.
Last year I got a Moringa plant and 10 seeds. The seedling died and I have tried to sprout 7 or the seeds. None even attempted to sprout. I have never had such negative results.

I ordered Stinging Nettle and Moringa seeds.
We have hoards of nettles and sticky cleavers in the fields around us so we're good there. I ordered Moringa seeds and paid for them, but they never came in...peed off!!
Several videos on cleavers and good info for them helping in urinary tract problems.
Tea, soups and even a relish recipe was in some of the videos.
I even saw one tip of using the cleavers in a tightly packed "nest" used to filter out any hair, bugs or other
un-wanted little things in fresh milk direct from the cow, all the little sticky hairs are the trick.
My next project is collecting the leaves and flowers from Goldenrod and getting them dried as they come into season next month. Half will ge dried for later and the other half will be infused with moonshine to
make some good anti-bacterial/anti-septic cough syrup.

I said I would update everyone on this book when I read it. I haven't finished it all, but I do think it is something you all might want to look at.

The book isn't perfect, but it does have some great ideas that would be worth trying. I also have her book on pets, but I haven't needed it yet so I haven't read it.

Anyway, it's a good reference. It was worth the buy in my opinion.

Latest posts

Back