List of storage necessities...

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ajones

Reaction score
what is on you necessity list?
What are you storing and how much per person?
What should you take into consideration when beginning prepping??

Shelf life of foods and how much water it takes to prepare them is what I look at. I cant wait to see some of the other replies though

Personally I think it depends on what your expectations are when SHTF...for me, when SHTF I imagine I'm gonna be SOL when it comes to water since I need electricity to get water (unless I'm going to travel half a mile to a water source)...so for me I store water...I know they say 1/2 gal per person per day MINIMUM but I also know that much of my stored food is dehydrated. I also have 2 cats. So, I figure for us we need a minimum of 3 gallons per day. My last incident was a power-outage for 4 days so I have to have a MINIMUM of 5 days stored...that is where I started...food and water for 5 day. If my power goes out in winter I'll need to have an alternate heat source...I have a woodburner in my house for supplemental heat...so, water, food and wood for 5 days. That was my first priority. Now, when I shop I always buy 3-5 gals of water. (I need bigger storage...I'm running out of room for water jugs.)

One, thing to think about is whether you figure you need to bug out or not...I would prefer not to. Most of what I have saved is HEAVY...I have dehydrated veggies and fruit but other veggies are canned and my water!

Everyone's list is going to be different. Everyone eats differently. Buy what you and your family eat, eat what you store. If you don't know how to cook from scratch, learn. You'll save money and further your options with -basic cheaper ingredients. LDS websites have guidelines for food storage, but do you know what to do with 400 pounds of red wheat berries? Unless you do, buying that would be pointless for you.

I'm not trying to be discouraging at all. A good thing to do would be to sit down and write out a menu of what your family likes to eat for 2-4 weeks, then write down everything you'll need to have on hand to make that food. When you go to the market, pick up extras of those items and you have now started your food storage.

The worst time to try to get your family to eat new foods is during times of great stress, that is when they are going to want what they know and what is comforting to them. You hand them a bowl of wheat berries and you're going to be ducking as they come flying back at you.

If your family eats a lot of convenience foods or pre-packaged foods, then I would start by working in the cooking from scratch. They are liable to look at you like you have 3 heads at first because what you make isn't going to be laden with all the chemicals and 'taste good' additives that the food companies feed the American public. They'll get over it.

I don't know if you cook or not and it seems like so many women now don't cook or if they do, it's sticking something in the microwave until it's heated. If you don't cook, don't worry, it's not hard. If you want to learn, we'll help.

Of course, you could also tell me to go fly a kite.

I started with the LDS website with the "How much should I prep", but I had to alter with my family. I can eat almost anything (along with most of the kids and wives), but even though my husband grew up on almost anything, he has not in his adulthood, so will only like certain items. I do cook from scatch and do my own garden, but there are some items he just doesn't like to eat. There are some items that I grow in the garden that he normally doesn't eat, but can sneak it in with some meals, like cabbage with eggrolls.

I started with the LDS website with the "How much should I prep", but I had to alter with my family. I can eat almost anything (along with most of the kids and wives), but even though my husband grew up on almost anything, he has not in his adulthood, so will only like certain items. I do cook from scatch and do my own garden, but there are some items he just doesn't like to eat. There are some items that I grow in the garden that he normally doesn't eat, but can sneak it in with some meals, like cabbage with eggrolls.
Don't fret Danil, when he gets hungry enough, he will say that whatever you cook taste great. It's suprising what you will eat when you are hungry. My other half is from Honduras and fixes some stuff I never thought I would eat either, but when I get hungry enough, I chomp it down. It's not boudin or boiled crawfish but it fills the stomach. We can what we normally eat but when TSHTF, I think we will be glad for anything. WE will be eating CAJUN FOOD while others will be picking through trash cans.LMAO

If he gets hungry enough, he will eat. . . I have no doubt. That is why I have put up turnips, beets, ect along with greens. Normally, I tend to make what he like, but if it is survival, he will adapt. I make him eat cabbage in eggrolls and make him eat eggplant with eggplant casserole with sausage and broccolii (normally he likes it raw) with cheese sauce (baby steps). I LOVE Cajun foods and the hotter the better!

If he gets hungry enough, he will eat. . . I have no doubt. That is why I have put up turnips, beets, ect along with greens. Normally, I tend to make what he like, but if it is survival, he will adapt. I make him eat cabbage in eggrolls and make him eat eggplant with eggplant casserole with sausage and broccolii (normally he likes it raw) with cheese sauce (baby steps). I LOVE Cajun foods and the hotter the better!
You go lil girl. The eggplant casserole sounds delish. Turnips with smoked sausage is hard to beat. We just figured it out that there are two kinds of food, cajun food and the slop our Yankie friends cook.LMAO

Amen Mastercajun! You got to put some spice in your life. . even if it is only blackpepper and salt. Most northerners don't. My dad's mom was from New York, and honestly couldn't cook (sorry for you up north). Or at least we couldsnt eat it. She would cook an already cooked turkey for 12 hours.

Well I don't actually cook Cajun, but dammit, I can cook! It's amazing how many vegetables can be ground up and mixed in with different meats and hubs is none the wiser. I passed asparagus off as funny looking green beans one night, lol.

i have at least 30 days worth of food and water and other supplies. if shtf i might be able to make it last a bit longer than that.(especially if i eat only breakfast and dinner and use up 1/2 a gllon perperson per day.

I have 1 gallon per person for 30 days. it is only my wife and I so i have around 60 gallons of water. in varios containers. I have 2 of the 7 gallon containers and 2 of the 6 gallon water containers. plus 2 of the 5 gallon containers for water. total of 36 gallons of water in big jugs. i have around 10 of the 24 packs of water totalling an additional 63 gallons of water. i halso have 15 additional 1 gallon water jugs. i also have 1 water bob for up to a 100 gallons of water to get in advance. a few water filter bottles to filter up to 20 gallons each. and a sawyer filter that can filter up to 1 million gallons of water if maintained well, and a katadyn filter that can filter 300 gallons.

I also have random cans of food that will give me food for at least 20 days for two people. I have 5 of the 5 gallon buckets with food for 2 people for 3 days. so that is a total of 35 days of food for 2 people. this includes breafast, lunch, dinner.

we also have over 100 rolls of toilet paper.

5 rolls of kitchen napkins and 10 packs of 100 napkins.

a 10 pack of lighters, a few boxes of matches.

extra clothing that we dont wear any more but have in case of emergency.

coleman cooking stove (small one). with 6 coleman propane fuel bottles. with about 10 extra small emergency stoves that are stoves in a can.

extra batteries, flashlights, radios, cell phone chargers, soap, tooth brushes, tooth paste, fire extinguishers.

and can openers. knives and first aid kits.

3 days 2 person food bucket.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1367804013835.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1367804013835.jpg
    25.4 KB · Views: 7
  • uploadfromtaptalk1367804026282.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1367804026282.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 7

Latest posts

Back