LIST OF FALLOUT SHELTERS

Doomsday Prepper Forums - The Number One Prepper Site

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

Reaction score
About any emergency shelter is going to have LE, Military, Fire/Rescue or local emergency management people supposedly in charge, you won't be carrying guns into a shelter..
This! I'm looking for self sufficiency.

Maverick

Top Poster
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Washington State - between 2 mountains and a river
...and how do you protect the supplies you do bring into the shelters if a few people are unprepared? and that's even provided one could get to the shelter amongst the chaos, a two week supply is a lot of weight to carry on foot. Also keep in mind, if someone dies in the shelter one would need a way to seal the body, two weeks maybe more? is a long time to be in a room with a bloated corpse so be sure to include body bags in the preps, how does one even know it's safe to exit the shelter without a geiger counter or at a minimum a field survey meter?

These things all have to be taken into consideration. PeriscopeFilm has many Civil Defense shelter videos on youtube.

Gazrok

A True Doomsday Prepper
Reaction score
If you really have an hour, your best bet is to simply drive away from any potential target (assuming you won't get stuck in traffic). Modern nukes are way less megatons, and are airburst, meaning less radiated particles. Being far away from a target (and thus detonation) is really your best bet vs. sheltering among irradiated debris.

Just get the hell out of there. If I'm at work, I'm pretty much a sitting duck. My best bet is to get my wife, and try and get to a secure building, while stretching the supplies of my get home bag. If at home, on the other hand, I'm pretty much out of the way of potential attacks, and even wind patterns, so we'd see little to no radiation presumably. Of course, nothing is certain unless it happens.

Of course, if in a major city, knowing safer buildings wouldn't hurt. So this is where I could see the value of such a thing, assuming the price was right. Yes, you could spend time and effort finding out for yourself, but that's where the cost-benefit analysis comes into play.

Last edited:

Gazrok

A True Doomsday Prepper
Reaction score
By the way, my best recommendation for a fallout shelter if in a city? Movie theaters. Thick walls (typically concrete), heavy metal exit doors, sealed for light, so....and no windows. Also, easily accessible, and the entry doors are typically pretty deep into the building. Added bonus, typically stocked with sealed foodstuffs, running water, possibly even backup generators.

Added bonus, looting survivors will concentrate more on food and drug stores, vs. retail stores typically near theaters. Yet, at least some of these supplies may be in close proximity to a theater.

Note: I'm in FL, so basements aren't an option. Otherwise, basements are great, the deeper the better.

Remember, while the radiation may last around 2 weeks, it reduces exponentially. It's also a good idea to be aware of decontamination procedures, to eat only sealed food and drink only sealed water, etc. For example, if you were outside when any radiation was present, time to get nude, decontaminate (preferably just discard) that clothing, and take a shower (no conditioner!!! (it binds the particles to you))....soap and water (and don't scrub too hard).

Last edited:

Gazrok

A True Doomsday Prepper
Reaction score
Yep, the beauty of a theater, is that it is basically a room within a room. The same principles that help insulate the sound, help put more material between you and fallout, and this extends to the floor and ceiling as well. And while acoustic material may not be the ideal fallout absorber, it's still more material between you and harm. Couple it with the thicker walls, and no windows, and efforts to SEAL the space, and it's a pretty decent shelter in a pinch. (and those reclining theaters have a great option for sleeping!)

Helen Back

God Like
Reaction score
This is a cool video on the topic. Kind of. If you're claustrophobic like me, you may find yourself yelling at the monitor (like me) "pull me out!" The first couple of minutes is tough to watch, but from there, pretty interesting. Ladies and Gentlemen, for your viewing pleasure

grayghost668

A True Doomsday Prepper
Reaction score
This is a cool video on the topic. Kind of. If you're claustrophobic like me, you may find yourself yelling at the monitor (like me) "pull me out!" The first couple of minutes is tough to watch, but from there, pretty interesting. Ladies and Gentlemen, for your viewing pleasure

NO WAY IN HELL,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Helen Back

God Like
Reaction score
NO WAY IN HELL,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
Right?!?!? Tell the truth, did you yell something out? I watched it from bed on the big screen and was squirming and yelling. My wife came in from the other room to see what was happening. "you have to turn sideways in the middle..." pshhh At 6' 210 with a 34" waist, I wouldn't have made it to the room with the pipe.

pixelphotographer

Reaction score
contact your local EMA Emergency Management Agency. Ask for the director. Each County has one. Ask them where the local shelters are and they have a map and locations. Just saved yall some money. Its not secret information many of them are schools or hospitals. The EMA has list of bomb shelters as well as regular shelters. I was an assistant EMA director for some time and still work with them thru ham radio and ARES. We know where they are because we have to do inspections on them each year.

Latest posts