• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Doomsday Prepper Forums and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

LIST OF FALLOUT SHELTERS

Prepper & Survivalism Forum

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

Maverick

Top Poster
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Washington State - between 2 mountains and a river
Just not going to pay for these maps, with little research one can get the information quite easily. These are old cold war shelters for the most part, many are non-suitable even for fallout plus no guarantee the public would even have access to these buildings or if they even still exist.

Looks like another case of fear sells :(

Matthew Kleinberg

Reaction score
Actually, it was very difficult to get this information, and I was fortunate to be able to have access to it. It took months to scour through everything to verify what locations still existed that were previously designated as fallout shelters. We pretty much made sure the locations were still in place after doing research, which is why we charge for this service. These buildings/locations were chosen due to their material, the thickness of the materials, and a lot of them have basements. Most houses will not provide adequate protection, even in basements, which is why we recommend these locations. The only thing we were able to determine was that these locations are no longer stocked with food and water of course, which is why we always recommend you store your own food(preferably canned), and have enough of a supply for three weeks minimum. Once you are notified of an attack, your best bet is to get to one of these locations, and follow the instructions on our site. In the case of an emergency, it is rational to say you do what you need to do to get to a safe location, which our locations are. Having some info at hand to know where you could go, is better than no info.

grayghost668

A True Doomsday Prepper
Reaction score
this might be worth the money if you lived in a populated area,where I am there will be no shelters,so this is useless to me

drt4lfe

Reaction score
For a hurricane/tornado situation it may be good info for some, but I would guess there is only a handful of shelters nationwide that could sustain life for very long....if we get hit with major nuke/bio/chemical only a few will survive in the areas that would be hit...last thing I will do is go to some so called shelter with a bunch of unknown people....without proper air filtration a shelter is just a morgue for most part, not to mention sanitation issues and all the sickness people will bring into a large shelter...I'll take my chances on my terms....it would be deadly chaos in any shelter other than the one you built and control...I have seen how the masses act during a major storm/power/water outage and I will be far from it.....

Maverick

Top Poster
Global Moderator
Reaction score
During the Cold War 50s/60s cities had multiple shelters but never designed to hold the population of the cities, nor were they filtered, they were supplied for two weeks with the bare minimum, each shelter held a small number of people. Today, given the modern population and attitudes the shelters will be uncontrollable for example, shelter designed for 50 people will be overwhelmed with 100s of folks trying to get in. Each shelter was setup to allow a cu feet of air per person, when more more people occupy a space than what’s allowed oxygen deprivation sets in. In uncontrolled shelters you may have a select few that may come prepared but the majority of folks that are their were not prepared, good luck on protecting your stash of food and water for two weeks and what about hygiene? Just as important as food and water when a number of folks occupy a small space.

Selling these maps are giving false hope, I’m sure as hell ain’t going to take the word of a internet salesman that these shelters are accessible when the time comes nor being suitable today as they once were for the intended purpose. Have any of these shelters that’s on the map been inspected by the fire marshal or city engineer as being suitable for sheltering, does the maps list the occupancy rated for each shelter? Very little information is given on the website unless one pays. Are there any modern pictures taken from inside these shelters by the folks selling these maps? Or are we to take it at blind faith, any way to validate the information listed on the maps are accurate such as phone numbers, building owners etc...

Maverick

Top Poster
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Even the Pentagon said in 61 fallout shelter won't work, my dad who was part of the National fallout shelter survey said the fallout shelter program was a feel good program to ease the fears of the population and that was and remains the consensus of the Government even Kennedy himself when he started the survey in 61. The fallout shelters are not bunkers, they are civilian buildings selected for the program, generally buildings were selected after the building owners encouragement (being the salesman they are they seen economic benefits) for the sole purpose to advertise his/her merchants (look, I'm a Patriot shop here) Shelters weren't selected because they were the best building, they were selected because of the cooperation of the building owners ;)

From one of my notes out of a interview someone had done regarding Government consensus that was beginning to emerge: the facts of nuclear war not only the radiation but also the strategy of mutually assured destruction were such that a shelter couldn’t do much good. People would have to stay underground for much longer than two weeks to be safe...

Put these fallout shelters in the context of the time period!

Matthew Kleinberg

Reaction score
Most of the people do not know where the old fallout shelters are located, so having a lot of people show up would not be a problem. Some shelter in a good solid building, with your own supply of food, is better than no shelter. You just close the vents, and lay low with your food for three weeks, and you will be good.

drt4lfe

Reaction score
Most of the people do not know where the old fallout shelters are located, so having a lot of people show up would not be a problem. Some shelter in a good solid building, with your own supply of food, is better than no shelter. You just close the vents, and lay low with your food for three weeks, and you will be good.
To play devil's advocate......let's say you show up at a shelter with your family with supplies for 3 weeks and just 10 other people show up at shelter with no supplies ? how will that work out for you ? close the vents ? how do you know 3 weeks will be long enough to lay low ?

Maverick

Top Poster
Global Moderator
Reaction score
All funded shelters had field survey meters back in the day some had geiger counter or both, not the case today. Having less than an hour notice it would be nearly impossible to muster in a two week supply of minimal water and food for a family of two or even a single person. The vents if even still operational today, how to locate them in such low light in an unfamiliar building, not all vents are obvious ;)

Far more variables than just walking in to a fallout shelter, fallout are very very different than a storm shelter.

Reaction score

Matthew Kleinberg

Reaction score
To play devil's advocate......let's say you show up at a shelter with your family with supplies for 3 weeks and just 10 other people show up at shelter with no supplies ? how will that work out for you ? close the vents ? how do you know 3 weeks will be long enough to lay low ?

Usually people that know about the shelter are going to have the supplies with them. China's newest missile still takes an hour to hit any target in the US, and once the warning sounds, we will have time to grab our supplies and get to the shelter. The people who are not ready, will have no idea where to go. Look at what happened when the Hawaii warning went off. Most of the people hid in their bathtubs......

Always have a radiation reader as well, and a ham radio to stay informed on when it is safe to come out. Getting to the shelter is the easy part. When it comes time to get out of the shelter, that is when we will get exposed to the dark sides of humanity. Always have a gun too....

Matthew Kleinberg

Reaction score
http://gothamist.com/2017/03/09/fallout_shelters_nyc.php

https://www.fema.gov/faq-details/Information-about-Fallout-Shelters-Safe-rooms

http://www.waymarking.com/cat/details.aspx?f=1&guid=bd97bb47-051e-46db-966b-2478092263c1&st=2

Unless I had lots of warning, I'm not sure how I would get to one. Interestingly there is one, in a post office basement, about a half hour from me.

Depending on the traffic lol.

That list of shelters is highly inaccurate unfortunately. We have a map of places that were designated as fallout shelters previously, and we have verified they are still in existence. Contact me at [email protected] if interested. Always make sure to have supplies(food and water) enough for three weeks minimum as well.

Matthew Kleinberg

Reaction score
All funded shelters had field survey meters back in the day some had geiger counter or both, not the case today. Having less than an hour notice it would be nearly impossible to muster in a two week supply of minimal water and food for a family of two or even a single person. The vents if even still operational today, how to locate them in such low light in an unfamiliar building, not all vents are obvious ;)

Far more variables than just walking in to a fallout shelter, fallout are very very different than a storm shelter.

The locations on our map of previously designated fallout shelters have been validated by us, by us calling to make sure they are still in existence. They are not stocked with food or a gieger counter so you have to bring your own supplies. Three weeks worth of canned food, along with a gieger counter is easy to carry with you. These locations have not been inspected recently, and the occupancy is unknown, but there are not a lot of people that would be prepared for a nuclear war(look at Hawaii) so the few people that showed up to the locations on our Map, would be okay. The locations on our Map were chosen by the government due to their materials, thickness of protection, and almost all of them have basements. You simply switch on the light, close the vents, and stay tuned in with your ham radio with other people that have prepared......

The hard part will be dealing with humanity once you get out of the shelter.

grayghost668

A True Doomsday Prepper
Reaction score
We actually have a lot of locations in the Little Rock area on our Map
I am 125 miles from Little Rock and Memphis ,,,,there is not a city within 55 miles of me with a population over 10000,,,by the time I drove to one of those locations I would be fried by radiation ,,,nope I will stay put I am far enough away from any target of interest that fallout should be at a minimum

drt4lfe

Reaction score
Usually people that know about the shelter are going to have the supplies with them. China's newest missile still takes an hour to hit any target in the US, and once the warning sounds, we will have time to grab our supplies and get to the shelter. The people who are not ready, will have no idea where to go. Look at what happened when the Hawaii warning went off. Most of the people hid in their bathtubs......

Always have a radiation reader as well, and a ham radio to stay informed on when it is safe to come out. Getting to the shelter is the easy part. When it comes time to get out of the shelter, that is when we will get exposed to the dark sides of humanity. Always have a gun too....
I would hazard a guess if you asked everyone who walked through the door at you local Walmart where a nuclear shelter was you would not get one person who knew.....I would also hazard a guess that none of those same people have any type of supplies for such an event.....How many people have a radiation meter ? 1 in a million ? About any emergency shelter is going to have LE, Military, Fire/Rescue or local emergency management people supposedly in charge, you won't be carrying guns into a shelter....your loaded vehicle that is left unattended will be broken into in short order and everything taken while your in the shelter.....maybe 1 in a million would have a portable ham radio to possibly get updates on what was happening and if it was a nuclear event that info would be highly varied and mostly mis-info......I would never go to any shelter where I had no control of my circumstances....and like what happened in Hawaii, if the next alarm is real ? the same thing will happen....chaos....and I will never expect the government to have any type of plan that will save me...I do the planning for myself to eliminate the screwup's of the government in such a situation....let all the people who care more about the latest IPhone, Purse and football game die together.....