List of essentials

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ronc0011

Reaction score
I'm curious as to what different people think of as essential gear and supplies.

Just some ideas about gear for example do you plan on having the use of a vehicle like a truck or maybe a car or SUV type vehicle. Or will you be planning on going on foot. Also where do you plan to retreat to at first until better arrangements can be made. Kinds of gear like backpack, sleeping bag, shelter weapons i.e. knives, or guns. Also, any thought about pack guns like small survival 22s etc., I'm thinking car or foot determines a lot about the kind of gear you can reasonably take with you.

For me the guns ill take my ak for self defense my 22 for small game and shotgun for birds and one easy to hide pistol if I ever need to go in to town for supply's. ill take my car due to it gets better mpg and can hold all the bug out gear for my wife, dog and me tents tools to cut a big first aid kit tools to Fix the car if it breaks cloths, rice, beans, pots and pans one ice cheats and we a would head deep in the mountains

For us, each vehicle has a GHB and supplies, Get to the house and load out from there if needed. Would like to bug in if possible. Here is a GHB
Picturekevinpicture010-1.jpg

For us, each vehicle has a GHB and supplies, Get to the house and load out from there if needed. Would like to bug in if possible. Here is a GHB
Picturekevinpicture010-1.jpg

So what area of the country do you live in. Any thoughts on what kind of elements you may have to deal with in a Bug In situation.

I lived as a homeless person for about 7 years in the Willamette national forest just outside of Eugene Oregon and for maybe 2 of those years in Golden Gate Park in San Francisco California. So the short version is; I lived outside out of a large Alice Pack for a really long time. I know a lot about living out of an Alice pack and how much you can carry in one and also just about living outside. Currently I live in Texas close to the Gulf Coast The problem I see with Texas is that it is a pretty populated area. To many predators at close quarters. I think I would like to try to make my way north If it ever comes to that. Oregon is a good area it's mostly empty. Lots of wild game and not full of things that bite and sting and are poisonous. Texas has lots of snakes moccasins and rattle snakes copperheads etc. you name it we got em. Every kind of stinging insect known to man and scorpions and tarantulas we got em.

So these days when I start thinking about a SHTF scenario it makes me think of having to go back to those days living outside which I had hoped were behind me for good. So making sure I have all the right gear means gathering together a lot of stuff I already have. For instance I still have an Alice pack I also have a lot of stuff I didn't have back then like several guns, a nifty Dodge truck I think a lot of what I need to do is organizational making all this stuff quick and easy to load like kits

My set up is as follow, "get home bags" in the car's, a three day" bug out bag". Then in a event that we have to leave the city I have all my camping gear, food, water, tent, etc. for 30 days in totes for quick loading in the truck. I am prepping more for earthquakes than anything.

I lived as a homeless person for about 7 years in the Willamette national forest just outside of Eugene Oregon and for maybe 2 of those years in Golden Gate Park in San Francisco California. So the short version is; I lived outside out of a large Alice Pack for a really long time. I know a lot about living out of an Alice pack and how much you can carry in one and also just about living outside. Currently I live in Texas close to the Gulf Coast The problem I see with Texas is that it is a pretty populated area. To many predators at close quarters. I think I would like to try to make my way north If it ever comes to that. Oregon is a good area it's mostly empty. Lots of wild game and not full of things that bite and sting and are poisonous. Texas has lots of snakes moccasins and rattle snakes copperheads etc. you name it we got em. Every kind of stinging insect known to man and scorpions and tarantulas we got em.

So these days when I start thinking about a SHTF scenario it makes me think of having to go back to those days living outside which I had hoped were behind me for good. So making sure I have all the right gear means gathering together a lot of stuff I already have. For instance I still have an Alice pack I also have a lot of stuff I didn't have back then like several guns, a nifty Dodge truck I think a lot of what I need to do is organizational making all this stuff quick and easy to load like kits
i was homeless for like 6 months in Reno NV. i had 2 thin blankets and slept in the snow. sucked really, but a hell'ova experience.
migrating north is a great idea, as im plannen on forest living anyway, however, if you migrate, you have to have good timing as well. the farther north you go, the colder it gets, exspecially during the winter.
youd want to arrive before winter, as to be able to set up shelter and traps etc without going into hypothermia.
btw, steel toe boots suck bigtime in the snow. and you may also want to get some winter gear for up there.

as far as kits:
i think its on page 2 of this section, but theres a thread: Creating A Bug-Out-Bag that may interest you.
also, as far as my car, i took a bit of Colt 1911's advice and have started "altoid" kits.
so far i have a altoid survival kit:
fishing gear, sewing, a lighter w/an Led light on it, and a cheap swiss army knife.
i still need to make my altoid med kit though lol.

Yeah, when I hit the road I left San Francisco and hitched to Eugene. I arrived in Eugene on the same day as the biggest blizzard in the last hundred years. My first night the temperature went to -5 or something like that with wind chill. I slept under the I-5 overpass on the south end of Eugene. I arrived with an Army blanket and a U.S. G.I. issue Mountain Mummy bag. I slept nice and warm all night. From that day forward I was sold on the army mountain mummy bag.

Once I got my bearings I made my way to The Willamette National Forest. There's a city bus that will take you 40 miles out of town to the entrance of the National Forest. I found a place to camp in old growth forest next to the Blue River. It was incredible. and I was just on the edge of the National Forest. The national forest and the Three Sisters Wilderness Area goes for miles and miles. When I lived in Oregon there was only one area code for the whole state. Quite unlike the Houston area with a population of almost 4 million people. Can't stay here in a SHTF situation.

Yeah, the homeless gig is a real eye opener. I lived out of a large Alice Pack for the next 5 or 7 years. You know I was probably in the best shape of my life. That pack averaged about 80 lbs at any given time, I could throw that pack up on my back and walk at a double time pace for five miles without even getting short of breath. In fact sometimes we'd come into Eugene for a few days or a week and camp in the dead yard (train yard) and every morning started by loading up the pack and hiking the 2 miles to the local diner "Larry & Kathys" for breakfast. Gezz I kind of miss those days.

Yeah, when I hit the road I left San Francisco and hitched to Eugene. I arrived in Eugene on the same day as the biggest blizzard in the last hundred years. My first night the temperature went to -5 or something like that with wind chill. I slept under the I-5 overpass on the south end of Eugene. I arrived with an Army blanket and a U.S. G.I. issue Mountain Mummy bag. I slept nice and warm all night. From that day forward I was sold on the army mountain mummy bag.

Once I got my bearings I made my way to The Willamette National Forest. There's a city bus that will take you 40 miles out of town to the entrance of the National Forest. I found a place to camp in old growth forest next to the Blue River. It was incredible. and I was just on the edge of the National Forest. The national forest and the Three Sisters Wilderness Area goes for miles and miles. When I lived in Oregon there was only one area code for the whole state. Quite unlike the Houston area with a population of almost 4 million people. Can't stay here in a SHTF situation.

Yeah, the homeless gig is a real eye opener. I lived out of a large Alice Pack for the next 5 or 7 years. You know I was probably in the best shape of my life. That pack averaged about 80 lbs at any given time, I could throw that pack up on my back and walk at a double time pace for five miles without even getting short of breath. In fact sometimes we'd come into Eugene for a few days or a week and camp in the dead yard (train yard) and every morning started by loading up the pack and hiking the 2 miles to the local diner "Larry & Kathys" for breakfast. Gezz I kind of miss those days.
I've always wanted to live like that but I got married at 19 and my wife is not in to stuff like that I love being out doors and living free kinda like "in to the wild" but now days people get killed to easy here in SoCal today there was 3 cop killings today alone

Latest posts

Back