Lesson Learned on Storing Grains

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gazrok

A True Doomsday Prepper
Reaction score
Well, ran into an issue lately, as I keep some items stored in bins in the garage.

As some know, I live on a ranch. With 10 horses, their grain, hay, and 3 bunnies, as well as chickens, we will occasionally have some rats. (even with 6 damn cats out there to help police this).

Learned that plastic bins and buckets are NOT great for storing things like rice, dry pasta, cereal, etc. as this stuff is like gold to such rodents. For this reason, I'm switching to some galvanized steel trash cans or metal food grade barrels instead. I'll still have them in buckets, inside the trash cans or barrels (just to parcel use), but at least this will keep from attracting them, and keep them from getting into it.

We already made the switch to these over a year ago for animal food out there (horse grain, rabbit food, chicken feed, cat food, etc.). Can't believe I didn't consider it for the garage storage. Luckily, not too much was damaged, but just kicking myself, so posting this to help any others.

Be sure to always check your supplies!!! Don't take them for granted!

Latest posts

Back