Leon Red Bone (Hawk)

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There is no way I can teach dog training in a few words. But I guess I'll try. Dogs are not retarded children. They are aware of things that we are not. A 70 pound dog can intimidate a 300 pound human. They are our friends. They are not things we own.

Hun, I have a bred hunter in my dog family eoo. . . When young she loved to "chew" on my fingers. Even now that she is 8 years old she will still put my fingers in her mouth, just doesnt want to chew on them anymore. Be happy if your couch survives. . . I left for work one day to come home to it being demolished with my first Akita. Second one, that didn't happen but hunny was retired and there was much more discipline with this one.

My Lab chewed my dining room chairs and leather couch. I am with Leon constantly. I've learned that out of sight for 2 minutes means he's peeing or chewing something.
Hun, I have a bred hunter in my dog family eoo. . . When young she loved to "chew" on my fingers. Even now that she is 8 years old she will still put my fingers in her mouth, just doesnt want to chew on them anymore. Be happy if your couch survives. . . I left for work one day to come home to it being demolished with my first Akita. Second one, that didn't happen but hunny was retired and there was much more discipline with this one.

Our lab, English chocolate, came from a breeder in northern Louisiana. We had him flowen to Alaska at 10 weeks old. At that time the wife and I were working rotational jobs, 3 on 3 off. I took 9 weeks off work and stayed home with the mutt. I took him outside every hour on a leash, he never had an accident in the house. After awhile he'd fetch the leash when he wanted to go out.
Before I went back to work I found a boarding kennel that also trained labs. The first 6 years of his life he was trained for hunting (retrieving), field trials and discipline. After that we hired a live-in doggy babysitter so he could stay home (it was also cheaper). He very seldom chewed on anything, especially us. Somehow he did learn to take us by the hand in his mouth and lead us to something he wanted, or away from danger. He had a bad experience with one of our old range cows a couple of years ago, so now if there's any cows around he gets nervous and tries to lead us away.

Our lab, English chocolate, came from a breeder in northern Louisiana. We had him flowen to Alaska at 10 weeks old. At that time the wife and I were working rotational jobs, 3 on 3 off. I took 9 weeks off work and stayed home with the mutt. I took him outside every hour on a leash, he never had an accident in the house. After awhile he'd fetch the leash when he wanted to go out.
Before I went back to work I found a boarding kennel that also trained labs. The first 6 years of his life he was trained for hunting (retrieving), field trials and discipline. After that we hired a live-in doggy babysitter so he could stay home (it was also cheaper). He very seldom chewed on anything, especially us. Somehow he did learn to take us by the hand in his mouth and lead us to something he wanted, or away from danger. He had a bad experience with one of our old range cows a couple of years ago, so now if there's any cows around he gets nervous and tries to lead us away.
Yes, my Retrievers were so different. I had a Golden that found a baby bird and gently carried it to me. We kept the bird and it would fly from me to my daughter. Then my husband came home from a trip and let the cat get to it. All we found was a feather, which I still have. I have never seen a child cry so hard. We still call her dad "Tweety Murderer".

Leon loved sniffing my fresh tilled gardens.

20210330_113335.jpg

This is so sad. I let Leon go free today and he immediately ran and broke INTO the fenced area I had made for him. He is so conditioned to being enslaved he didnt know what to do. I know some humans that are like that. This broke my heart. At least he ran in the pen. When I got him out, he just laid down on the ground .

Leon did the same thing today. He carries the long rope (not attached to anything) in his mouth so he can run faster and makes a run for a garden then just does laps as fast as he can.

Later, he did start walking in the woods, but didn't go far because the rope caught on a log. (That is why I attach the rope) . Plus, it's yellow so it is easily spotted. The exercise has helped lessen his nightly crazies. It will be bad next week because we are expecting rain 4 days in a row. I'll have to find another way to exercise him. He's not much for fetch. Lol. Tug of war is good though.

My son in law noticed that Leon has only one dropped testicle (cryptorchidism). I've looked it up and get mixed answers. Some say wait until one year old. Others say neuter him now because of cancer.

Any thoughts.

Latest posts

Back