Leon Red Bone (Hawk)

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Leon is growing. Geez he is so strong.

20210227_144130.jpg

He has his eyebrows raised...sign of intelligence and eyes focused intently...he will learn fast but keep you on demand for attention. Lots of fun in store robin...Gary
Gary, he has me ready to drop every night. He is super strong and it takes all my strength to hold his leash and show hi I'm boss. He is from a family of champions so I guess he gets his intelligence from a long line.

Nothing like a new charge of energy in the family to keep things interesting. Get him to not pull on the leash and walk beside you by not walking or going anywhere till he calms down, if he pulls, stop and make him wait, calm down and maybe even sit. If on a leash, he must have another, restraining character. When he is off the leash, he can run and jump and burn energy. He will need a friend of equal strength to fight around and do puppy things with. Nothing is easy with intelligent dogs, they are always demanding to learn something new and burn energy, but it is always worth the work. Have fun and be ready to just let go of the leash so he does not hurt your hand/wrist by pulling or even jank you to the ground and hurt you worse. Gary

Nothing like a new charge of energy in the family to keep things interesting. Get him to not pull on the leash and walk beside you by not walking or going anywhere till he calms down, if he pulls, stop and make him wait, calm down and maybe even sit. If on a leash, he must have another, restraining character. When he is off the leash, he can run and jump and burn energy. He will need a friend of equal strength to fight around and do puppy things with. Nothing is easy with intelligent dogs, they are always demanding to learn something new and burn energy, but it is always worth the work. Have fun and be ready to just let go of the leash so he does not hurt your hand/wrist by pulling or even jank you to the ground and hurt you worse. Gary
Had I not trained Clara at the start I would have major problems right now since she out weighs me by triple at least now at 7 months. Have to admit @robinjopo I have had one dog that kept me on my toes before and not all furniture survived. Had I not have to work outside the home, it may have survived. . .

Zoey could be the dog from hell. Then she could be so sweet. Today she is taking a permanent nap and my daughter and I stood in the vet's office and cried like babies. My Special son said that his eyes are watering. I told him it was tears, but he said it was allergies. Men.....
IMG_20210310_101511_847.jpg

Sadly, dog food makers only use minimum standards they set by them selves. They don't give a damn about dogs, only their profits. The best you can do is to make your own dog food. Like guns, good ones are not cheap. Cheap ones are not good. Between species there is no greater love than a man and a dog. As a youth I bought the cheapest dog food, figuring it had to meet standards. Wrong! Ask your vet. Most dog foods will cause cancer, thyroid problems, and premature death. Dog have been around a lot longer than humans. They ate what they killed. They did not harvest corn, wheat, or beets. Read labels. Spend a little more. We love dogs, they depend on us.

Sadly, most vets don't have a clue either on nutrition, and will recommend a particular brand of their junk that they carry. The labels are misleading as well, because you guessed it...self regulation.

Not sure if there is ONE good kibble out there. But there are a few good sources for raw. But you have to be careful there too, as we had one source that put too much organ meat in the mix, and some cats got sick.

We got a good source though, and there is one or two options for emergency. The place we use makes their own, and they're real dog people. We get a deal a we have a dedicated dog food freezer for two dogs, and buy 400 lbs at a time. Usually have a few things planned at once in sequence as it's about 350 miles round trip, and we want to get it home fairly quick in the summer.

After realizing that Leon was nothing like the Retrievers I am used to, I spent 4 hours researching Red Bone Coonhound Hounds. I am having to completely change my methodology of training. He is definitely making my life very busy. The biting and jumping are getting better the last 2 days, but dang. I was dousing my clothes in vinegar just to be able to sit on the couch without being a chew toy.

After realizing that Leon was nothing like the Retrievers I am used to, I spent 4 hours researching Red Bone Coonhound Hounds. I am having to completely change my methodology of training. He is definitely making my life very busy. The biting and jumping are getting better the last 2 days, but dang. I was dousing my clothes in vinegar just to be able to sit on the couch without being a chew toy.
Now you do the research?

can I laugh and love at the same time? 😉

Latest posts

Back