Leon Red Bone (Hawk)

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Today Leon did not even wait for us to get in pool. I took off his harness and he went to the steps and went in.

He is definitely a water dog. I'm worried that this winter he may try and walk on Pool cover, fall in and drown. I won't be jumping into icy water for anyone other than my kids.

Many years ago I had an English Setter that just LOVED the water. She would even retrieve ducks, very enthusiastically too.
I kept a plastic wading pool in the backyard for her to splash around in.

20210801_151626.jpg

I was finally taking a nice bath and when I finish I find out that Leon got away from son and husband and wreaked havoc wi the chickens, they ran into the woods etc. Found one dead in the coop. I think she broke her neck trying to get away. I guarantee I could have moved faster than my husband did.

Is there any way to get Leon to play nicely with the hens?

I was finally taking a nice bath and when I finish I find out that Leon got away from son and husband and wreaked havoc wi the chickens, they ran into the woods etc. Found one dead in the coop. I think she broke her neck trying to get away. I guarantee I could have moved faster than my husband did.

With 3 labs and a boxer, I have to recommend an Ecollar.

Took the boxer through the Disney trainer designed course(Koehler Method) whispering and throwing a chain wouldn’t break her from chasing squirrels. Even the teachers of the course, said the course might not work for her.

Work and judicious use of the Ecollar did. She can be collar smart (needs the weight) but she is just a well trained as my pro trained retrievers. Even those trainers have complemented me on that. They didn’t think she would take to rattlesnake aversion training.

The boxer was a rescue from animal control. To this day, will growl viciously at any large black or Hispanic Man. But 99% of the time she will lick you to death.

Shock collar. I had to zap my dog just one time and he's never looked at a chicken since, even when they try taking his bone away. Leon may need a couple "corrections" though.

Never thought I would do it, but I just ordered an e-collar. Leon was going to the pool, saw a chicken and he was off. Ran straight to the run, a rooster jumped and got his spur stuck in fence and was hanging upside down.

No one was injured. I ran and tied up Leon then ran to the roo who hates me, but this time he let me get him off fence. I have had enough.

I got an inexpensive one in case I don't use it . They had a really cool GPS model that you could put up a virtual fence, but it was $800.

Latest posts

Back