Lassa Fever (Nigeria)

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Clyde

H.M.F.I.C.
Reaction score
I ran across these articles regarding Lassa Fever, also known as Lassa hemorrhagic fever (LHF). THe following is from WHO (World Health Organization). I will as a link as well. The other info I found is from Aljazeera.

Lassa fever is an acute viral haemorrhagic illness caused by Lassa virus, a member of the arenavirus family of viruses.

Humans usually become infected with Lassa virus through exposure to food or household items contaminated with urine or feces of infected Mastomys rats. The disease is endemic in the rodent population in parts of West Africa.

Lassa fever is known to be endemic in Benin, Ghana, Guinea, Liberia, Mali, Sierra Leone, Togo and Nigeria, but probably exists in other West African countries as well.

Person-to-person infections and laboratory transmission can also occur, particularly in health care settings in the absence of adequate infection prevention and control measures.

Diagnosis and prompt treatment are essential. The overall case-fatality rate is 1%. Among patients who are hospitalized with severe clinical presentation of Lassa fever, case-fatality is estimated at around 15%. Early supportive care with rehydration and symptomatic treatment improves survival.

Though first described in the 1950s, the virus causing Lassa fever disease was not identified until 1969. The virus is a single-stranded RNA virus belonging to the virus family Arenaviridae.

About 80% of people who become infected with Lassa virus have no symptoms. 1 in 5 infections result in severe disease, where the virus affects several organs such as the liver, spleen and kidneys (www.who.int, 2020).

https://www.who.int/health-topics/lassa-fever#tab=tab_1
https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2020...-fever-outbreak-jumps-70-200213064859329.html

We have had a bad string of animal infections in the eastern Europe areas. A so-called "tiger mosquito" has been taking over the areas and causing livestock and even dogs to get worms in their heart. Another problem is the water fleas in the Donau. It gets the victim so sick that only strongest antibiotics have an effect and my dog was lucky to get attention soon enough. The Vet had to shave her entire 1/3 body from stomach to tail to get down to the skin, put cream on it, give her shots, put this stupid plastic hula dress on her and get to see her again after 2 weeks. She had scabs covering her back, rump and tail for weeks. GP

Latest posts

Back