Korea? Anyone concerned?

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/02/12/us-korea-north-idUSBRE91B04820130212

KOREA CONDUCTS IS 3RD NUCLEAR TEST TODAY!! (2-12-13)

that little yippy dog is barking again! the UN and USA talk of Sanctions again and verbally "Strongly condem" :rolleyes: the test. It always cracks me up when a complaint is filed with the UN or everyone gets together and says we strongly disapprove of this action, as if their disapproval means squat.

We have shunned them on the playground. We have sent them to bed with no dinner (litterally). what more can we do aside from blowing some stuff up??

The reclusive North said the test was an act of self-defense against "U.S. hostility" and threatened further, stronger steps if necessary.

It said the test had "greater explosive force" than the 2006 and 2009 tests. Its KCNA news agency said it had used a "miniaturized" and lighter nuclear device, indicating that it had again used plutonium which is more suitable for use as a missile warhead.

The magnitude was roughly twice as large as that of 2009, Lassina Zerbo, director of the international data centre division of the Vienna-based Comprehensive Nuclear-Test Ban Treaty Organization, said. The U.S. Geological Survey said that a seismic event measuring 5.1 magnitude had occurred.

Despite its three nuclear tests and long-range rocket tests, North Korea is not believed to be close to manufacturing a nuclear missile capable of hitting the United States.

And this news comes in as the Pope is about to resign. I call BS on the health issue excuse. I can't connect the dots, but something doesnt feel right about any of this.

When he was elected he said he would do it as long as his health held up. Looks like its not.

The worry wort in me just wants to tell me this is a prelude to something big. Perhaps he does not agree with something he knows is going to happen.

1. The Pope is 85yrs old, ill health, and it's just been revealed he has a pacemaker put in.

Ok, back to the subject, North Korea.

Worried?? A little. North Korea have always been a mouthy bully ever since they picked on the weaker South, and with UN action, they copped a bloody nose ( mind you, they got a few good hits in too, compliments of PRC troops).They have been festereing and stewing over this for a long time!!! They remind me a little of that kid that lost a fight, then bulked up doing weights etc, and is now a lot stronger, and scarily, more smarter. They have one of the largest land armies in the world ( I believe they are in the top 5 in army size, but I will check this and clarify this comment), and with their missile capabilities, they can reach not only Japan and the US, but us down under!!

Do I think they will do anything??? Not sure, it will depend on how much longer China can restrain them, Like it or not, China hold the cards in this one - if China get tired of the North's carrying on, and loosen the leash, then, well, don't expect to get anything from property investments in Seoul. And, it depends on what the West will do!! If they take military action and knock out a few strategic military bases/missile sites/leaders, will the North then have the capability to react, or even the will???

I guess time will tell what our leaders will do - maybe like the movie "Team America -World Police - when the UN said about North Korea 'we will write them a letter and tell them we are angry, and if that doesn't work we will write them another letter and tell them we are VERY angry'"

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Korean_People's_Army

Army Size - 1,106,000 - (4th in world) Active personnel
Reserves - 8,200,000 - ( 1st in world).

Budget 5-18 $bn (US)
25% of GDP - no wonder people are resorting to cannibalism to survive!!!

N Korea is insane. I'm not quite sure they will ever be able to develop anything that will reach us that won't be blown out of the sky first. My concern is getting into another war when our military spending will be cut. We just can't afford this. I'm a lot more concerned with the financial ramifications to this incident then the threat of a missile.

It just seems like the way we wage war is so inefficient right now. IMO we should utilize the tech we have instead of the men and women. What if we just went crazy with drone attacks, missiles, and bombs. Clear out all enemy targets in a worthy location like N Korea or Iran. Remind the rest to take us seriously when we speak.

I don't say this lightly and I don't speak with confidence as I am a tad to young to know what it was like during the cold war and my suggestion could lead to another one. It seems like it would be alot cheaper and safer for the troops. Please correct my thoughts!

Musings of a 64 y.o. veteran:

No war can be won without boots on the ground.

That being said, early in the cold war we were afraid of a hot war with either China or the former USSR. That and public opinion was the reason we didn't carpet bomb N. VietNam.

Fast forward to the present. The world doesn't care about us anymore, we are a paper tiger. The USSR doesn't exist anymore and the Chinese are the preeminent power in the world. Their little step-brother has become a pain in the neck, but they won't take direct action. The Chinese hold too much of our debt so they need us producing and would stand by if we took action against N. Korea. We would, in effect, become their surrogate. We've used surrogates a lot over the past 50 years. A couple of tactical nukes should get N. Korea's attention.

Why should we care about world opinion? Because we no longer manufacture much and could become a nation like Iran when the rest of the world slaps economic sanctions on us.

Yes, I am concerned about north Korea. But I'm more concerned about the radical religious-fanatic Muslim terrorists this country is now dealing with.

My local news station just announces that Nortg Korea said they are going to nuke the US.

I believe the time to worry about North Korea is long passed. We can not at this point effectively stop an ICBM without a pre-emptive strike, and even then we can't be sure of success without using nukes ourselves. That thought in itself is more horrendous than allowing ourselves to sustain one nuclear attack.

Once we use one nuclear weapon, the gates of hell will open up and the world will be doomed. I a more concerned with Pakistan and India getting into fisticuffs one day and launching nukes at each other setting a new precedent for nuclear weapons war. That will give the green light for China to shoot and Russia, and Israel, etc.

We threw Poland under the bus with Russia. I have to remind Americans, which falls on deaf ears, very precious true friends stood with this country after Sept. 11th. Poland was on such country who sent ground troops. Their special operations GROM was on the ground the same time our Spec Ops were in the first days of the Operation Iraqi Freedom storming oil rigs and securing Basrah. Our President Obama decided that appeasement was more important than cultivating true lasting friendships and scrapped the missile shield that was set to be built on Polish soil.

This missile shield had the affect of a first layer of defense against rogue ICBMs from Iran, and second to reinforce our commitment to a friend telling them that we stand by them. In the end we decided that appeasing thugs was more important than friendship. Many nations took a risk and stood by America after 9/11, and it saddens me that it was a risk not worth taking since we turned out back on so many. Georgia got steam rolled by Russia. They wished to be a prosperous freedom loving country and part of NATO but Russia started a conventional war to show them the error of their ways and their folly. We had to do emergency flights to fly Georgian infantry back from Iraq to their home country. Not many nations committed combat troops to Iraq, tiny Georgia was one country. God I love them dudes, friendly guys.

Any tech that I know of to stop and ICBM is theoretical with so so success rates, I'm sure some air force guy can tell you better so, there is nothing we can do in terms of North Korean except wait now. If it was up to me I would have let them starve decades ago with no food aide, or oil and let them become civilized. Let China play big brother and supply them if they wish to keep that buffer state, but the rest of the world should no have propped up a dictator state that puts their people in the gulag system not for one generation, but multi-generational sentences.

That is view of North Korea, the time to worry is long past, it is like worrying about a comet strike, there isn't anything we can do but hope it doesn't hit where you live and truck on.

I,ll be your Huckleberry.........no worry with N. Korea , they are small potatoes.....the worry comes from the other side of the world , and thats for sure, dude !

The current effective range of a North Korean nuke attack is the western edge of Alaska. Not currently a threat to us yet. I still think they need to be dealt with.

I believe their lastest missile test made the continental United States a viable target, however the hard part is miniaturizing the warhead to duct tape, glue, staple onto of the missile.

The current effective range of a North Korean nuke attack is the western edge of Alaska. Not currently a threat to us yet. I still think they need to be dealt with.
And just how do you think we should deal with them......... economic sanctions or maybe a firm warning from our commander-in-chief

Latest posts

Back