Helpful Info. Knots for those who love playing with rope

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Silent Bob

God Like
Reaction score
There are many great websites and books on knots. I don't proclaim to be an expert, each knot serves a particular need, but at a minimum, I am pretty good with the Bowline, Single Hitch, Half Hitch, Two Half Hitch, Timber Hitch Square, Sheet and Butterfly Bend.

Since some of us are old Boy Scouts...no disrespect made to the ladies in the forum, I still have my manual and even have a copy of merit badge book that deals with knots (mine is black and white pics, sure they have colored ones by now).

Anyway, I thought I'd put some stuff out there for those that need some references on how to do knots.

If you have a particular knot that you'd like to recommend and its uses, please add it to the thread.

Take care all and have a great week.

Attachments

• General_-_KnotTying.pdf
    1.9 MB · Views: 15
  • Six-Boy-Scout-Knots.pdf
    61.6 KB · Views: 9
  • Knots_For_Mountaineering__Camping__Climbing__Utility__Rescue__et...pdf
    1.5 MB · Views: 13
Great post; just yesterday I realized, while putting up my hammock, that I don't know jack about knots. Never was a scout, my loss it seems.

I was a scout, but many, many years ago, so forgot most of it (don't use it, you lose it). Luckily, I was a scout in Alaska, so when we camped out, it was pretty real, hehe... Nothing like smoked salmon while camping though.... (except the aroma of it really attracted bears, so had to fire off a couple of shots to scare them off).

I know a few basic knots we use around the ranch, especially with the horse tie ups, but thanks for the additional info! I'll likely find some good uses for it!

I was a scout, but many, many years ago, so forgot most of it (don't use it, you lose it). Luckily, I was a scout in Alaska, so when we camped out, it was pretty real, hehe... Nothing like smoked salmon while camping though.... (except the aroma of it really attracted bears, so had to fire off a couple of shots to scare them off).

I know a few basic knots we use around the ranch, especially with the horse tie ups, but thanks for the additional info! I'll likely find some good uses for it!

Man I'm sooo glad I don't have to worry about bears while camping, We used to have bears, wolfs and big cats in Scotland but we ate them all.:D

Good info as always, My printers off the now but will print out and laminate asap. If the shtf know that a wee scots family are out there trying to survive with a copy of your knot post:)

Good info as always, My printers off the now but will print out and laminate asap. If the shtf know that a wee scots family are out there trying to survive with a copy of your knot post:)

Well can't let the kin folk in Scotland go without being able tie up that ""Nessie", how the heck are the tourist suppose to see Scotland's famous creature, not the boat picture that recently showed up on the satellite. :p

Man I'm sooo glad I don't have to worry about bears while camping, We used to have bears, wolfs and big cats in Scotland but we ate them all

Not just any bears. I lived in Kodiak. Hehe.... Most of the time though, a shot or two in the air would send them slowly on their way. (they didn't run away like most animals, just slink away)... On two occasions, that didn't work, so we simply left the area, then returned later. If a shot doesn't scare away the Kodiak, best to just not be there anymore (just don't run...walk slowly away, and while facing, looking at him, and of course, at a GOOD distance!)....

Not just any bears. I lived in Kodiak. Hehe.... Most of the time though, a shot or two in the air would send them slowly on their way. (they didn't run away like most animals, just slink away)... On two occasions, that didn't work, so we simply left the area, then returned later. If a shot doesn't scare away the Kodiak, best to just not be there anymore (just don't run...walk slowly away, and while facing, looking at him, and of course, at a GOOD distance!)....
I would s#!t my self if I came face to face with a wild bear, When I was 7 my Dad let me sit on a grizzlys back, It belonged to his friend that was keeping the bear at Edinburgh Zoo, Kids just trust parents don't they! No way would I let my kid do that.

Latest posts

Back