knives: country where guns are so easy to buy

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Antidavos

Reaction score
So here in Australia guns aren't for freely available, thinking about home defence and knives for use as a tool, would like some advices

Knives beat an empty hand, but just barely. Baseball bat would be just as effective. Unless you are trained in hand to hand combat, especially wet knife work, then I would go with some form of club, preferably with spikes. JM2C

I found a "double crossbow" on Amazon.

I realize that crossbows have their drawbacks . . . but they are largely silent, unregulated, and can penetrate Kevlar soft body armor with a razorhead.

I would use mechanical broadheads with the below crossbow, and view the crossbow as a means of obtaining the enemy's firearm . . . like the philosophy behind the WWII Liberator single-shot .45ACP pistol.

1666908441440.png

1666908823524.png

Above is the Liberator. It was not much more than a cheap, mass-produced "zip gun" which was intended to be dropped in mass quantities behind enemy lines so that civilians, guerrillas, partisians, and homicidal psychopaths could have a way to kill an enemy soldier and take his (or her) rifle.

I suggest that the crossbow might fill this role.

If you want to get creative, potassium cyanide can be cooked up with the metal shell of a car oil filter, activated charcoal, potassium carbonate, steel wool, and a few other things (I will leave it to you to research the topic if you are interested). Potassium cyanide can be applied to the broadheads, but you will be a goner if you accidentally cut yourself while handling them. I accept no responsibility if you mess up when manufacturing cyanide and/or using it.

Be careful.

Last edited:
Build a safe room with independent ventillation and rig the rest of the house to be purged with N2 or some other cheap gas to displace the oxygen. When they hit the floor, turn on the ventillation blowers and rapidly put some fresh air back in and drag their barely living bodies to that special place you have set up for such situations. You could always raise pufferfish and keep a stockpile of tetrodotoxin blow darts handy... Oh, the possabilities.. lol. If a gun were not a self-defence option for me, I would feel really bad for the intruder. Thankfully, the Constitution has permitted me to be humane about it.

Crazy story but I saw it..

I knew a guy, a bee keeper whose bees were super chill around him, he had a bee hive in his house's wall (among others) they accessed from the outside (I think on purpose because he talked about cleaning it out a few times) and a vial of something in his bedroom. One day I was over there and he told me if anyone were to break in, I would just punch through that drywall right there and throw this at their feet. I didn't get it at the time, but after reading my first chemistry book, the heading of the Ester chapter talked about isoamyl acetate (which tastes like banana) but that it is also an alert chemical bees use to locate what to sting (present from the first sting). I think that old dude had something figured out lol.

Build a safe room with independent ventillation and rig the rest of the house to be purged with N2 or some other cheap gas to displace the oxygen. When they hit the floor, turn on the ventillation blowers and rapidly put some fresh air back in and drag their barely living bodies to that special place you have set up for such situations. You could always raise pufferfish and keep a stockpile of tetrodotoxin blow darts handy... Oh, the possabilities.. lol. If a gun were not a self-defence option for me, I would feel really bad for the intruder. Thankfully, the Constitution has permitted me to be humane about it.
Raising puffer fish would probably not give you any tetrodotoxin, as these fish accumulate it in their tissues from their diet.

If the right micro-organisms aren't present in the proper proportions, then the quantity of tetrodotoxin in the fish will decrease over time.

If the original poster lives in Australia, then venom from any number of snakes would be a good choice.

I suggest the Inland Taipan . . . but just don't screw up when you go to catch one . . . or when you're milking the venom. If you screw up with an Inland Taipan, then you may as well hang up your jockstrap because you'll be done.

Any one know of a cheap bolt source?
I bought cheap aluminum arrows and cut them in half, the lower half had the point and needed fletching and a nock, the upper had the fletching and needed only the point. Two for one. And, I also changed the nocks on the normal arrows from my bow and shot them with my crossbow also. I had a double limb one with a main limb and a second one behind it for strength. It was rated at 220 lbs. and could hit at 100 meters to within a 5 inch circle. Too bad I sold it.

Latest posts

Back