Knife Throwing

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
tried it once...it was far more difficult than I thought and so frustrating that I missed the bulls eye...and the target ;)

You have to have the really well balanced knives to have a shot at throwing them well. Even then, it's a tricky thing to master. Seems the range on the no-spin method though, is really limited....or the penetration force would suffer

The no spin method is good for up to 40 + feet. This video is for beginners. They can work on distance later. And power is not a problem.

Look at about 1min 45sec on the video to see long distance no spin done by Ralph Thorn. I haven't done a video on distance yet but, I hope this answers your doubt...

From the video though, that only looked like about 15 feet or so, and they didn't show how well it stuck after that (the one at 1:45). No doubt, still great skill involved and all, and a knife is going to hurt either way, I just can't see this being preferable to more traditional techniques for range and penetration. At about 4:30 and 6:30, there's another couple of throws, again, about 15 feet or so, and those stuck pretty nice, definitely enough to be lethal.

You though, are certainly the knife expert on this forum, so would have to defer to your knowledge and experience. Just a lot of the zoom ins, of the stuck knives, seemed to stick more because the knife was very sharp, vs. the force of the throw. Much better chance of landing point first though, with this method.

The main problem is the targets that are being used in the videos are not end grain targets which, circus style or tumble style throwers tend to use. End grain targets, usually rotting logs, allow the knife to sink much deeper hence giving the illusion of power. Tumble style throwing is not as reliable, the distance has to be set, too may factors to trust my life with. Also just like most gun fights most knife fights occur in the 1 to 15 foot range so practicing in that distance makes the most sense. Anything outside that range I, unless using it for distraction, wouldn't throw my knife..

And thank you Gaz for the compliment but, I'm sure you have some solid knowledge in this department. I get the feeling you hold back a lot of experience with bladed instruments.

I'm not in any way an expert just someone who has a formed opinion through experience. I'm willing to be proven wrong.

Thx. I'm not the greatest knife thrower in the world, but better than embarrassing. I actually started with the no spin method, but hard for me to get any decent force further than about 15 feet myself. But, I do want to try some of the techniques in this video. When spinning, I only get it right about 3 out of 5 throws, but haven't really practiced it in a long time.

Funny story, the only time I even used it in a combat situation, a guy was coming at me (he was drunk, and mistook me for someone else), I threw the knife (it was a small wrist one, so wouldn't have been very lethal), and it missed him instead hitting the wall behind him. It did stick though, and he thought I MEANT to miss him, so it pretty much diffused the argument anyhow! Of course, I played it off like that's exactly what I meant to do.... I went to some wild parties after high school, hehe. (and I was younger and thinner then)

Now, a shuriken, on the other hand, I'm pretty decent, though in a real combat situation, can't imagine one doing more than really ticking someone off (easier to hit in the torso than a moving head target). Still, they are fun though.

I'd much rather shoot an enemy with a pistol, than be in a knife fight, but if I am, I pretty much know enough to take out an average user with a lethal or disabling attack (though I may get a superficial wound in the process).

Latest posts

Back