Kinda sorta "prepper."

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RV-Kitty

Reaction score
My story is just too long to tell and goes back to the 1970s and 80's. In a few years my ex-husband and I learned it's almost impossible to be completely independent of the stores and other things we're accustomed to. We grew a large garden and kept dairy goats and chickens. They cost more in feed than they were worth.Neither of us could bring ourselves to slaughter anything.

We canned and made our own cheese.... it simply wasn't worth it. I still have a canner and plenty of jars, some not even opened yet (still in the package they came in), but am taking a break from gardening. Some parts of the country are not suitable for gardening. I don't think we (I'm remarried now) can stay in TN if the big crash comes.

No, it isn't cost efficient to raise your own food, but I value the knowledge of where my family's food is coming from.

Welcome and thanks for joining. I understand you story is long, but there are a lot of threads here where you can share it bit by bit as you get more comfy.

Thanks for joining and sharing your info on canning and raising animals. I think a lot of people have that issue. In fact, I think it was old_anorak that posted a thread about people NOT being able to slaughter or kill an animal.

No, it isn't cost efficient to raise your own food, but I value the knowledge of where my family's food is coming from.

This is true, but with the amount of insecticides and fungicides and miticides etc needed to grow anything worth eating, we didn't believe it was any safer or better than what they sell in the stores. Organic products didn't work too well. Not all the veggies we liked would grow in TN. We still had to buy about 1/2 of our veggies. And to this day it's an endless battle with the deer, rabbits, squirrels and other garden pests and I mostly grow flowers. :(

Welcome and thanks for joining. I understand you story is long, but there are a lot of threads here where you can share it bit by bit as you get more comfy.

I will. Thank you. I just hope I don't sound too discouraging to some people here but reality is what it is.

Thanks for joining and sharing your info on canning and raising animals. I think a lot of people have that issue. In fact, I think it was old_anorak that posted a thread about people NOT being able to slaughter or kill an animal.

There were those in the Mother Earth movement as my ex-husband called them, that found they couldn't kill the livestock they raised. They would end up being pets. :)

Don't get me wrong, I still buy things from the store, but it gives me something to do and keeps meS out of trouble. I know what you mean about people raising something to eat and then they fall in love with the animal and end up with a 500 lb hog named Sausage.

The only critters I've ever had trouble with getting into my gardens are horses. Namely 2, Levi, a Belgian and Beau, a Belgain X.

My story is just too long to tell and goes back to the 1970s and 80's. In a few years my ex-husband and I learned it's almost impossible to be completely independent of the stores and other things we're accustomed to. We grew a large garden and kept dairy goats and chickens. They cost more in feed than they were worth.Neither of us could bring ourselves to slaughter anything.

We canned and made our own cheese.... it simply wasn't worth it. I still have a canner and plenty of jars, some not even opened yet (still in the package they came in), but am taking a break from gardening. Some parts of the country are not suitable for gardening. I don't think we (I'm remarried now) can stay in TN if the big crash comes.
Welcome and thank you for taking time to join Doomsday Prepper Forums.com. Your presence here is much appreciated. We look forward to your posts, and hope you enjoy the community!

Should you have any questions or need help with anything feel free to ask. The members on here are more than willing to help!

Thank you again for taking the time to join Doomsday Prepper Forums.com!

This is true, but with the amount of insecticides and fungicides and miticides etc needed to grow anything worth eating, we didn't believe it was any safer or better than what they sell in the stores. Organic products didn't work too well. Not all the veggies we liked would grow in TN. We still had to buy about 1/2 of our veggies. And to this day it's an endless battle with the deer, rabbits, squirrels and other garden pests and I mostly grow flowers. :(
Welcome to the forum. Yes, you are right that some of the prepping is not cost efficient right now, but think of what you would go through when the stores don't have anything in them. When the food crisis hits and there is no food in the stores can you think what your stored food would be worth. It might be the matter of living or dying. You can't put a price on that. I guess we have $20,000.00 in food stored and We don't regret a penny of it. I know that my family will have something to eat when alot of other people are starving to death. I don't want to see my family go hungry. Think about it. Again Welcome. You will find alot of help here. There are great people here and all are eager to help.

Latest posts

Back