Keeping your wheels rolling.

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oddcaliber

A True Doomsday Prepper
Reaction score
I work in the auto repair industry so that should give me some street cred on what lm going to post. To keep any vehicle in good running conditions means keeping up with the basics. Simple things like oil changes tires rotation and air filters can extend the life of your vehicle. I see all to frequent cars coming in on a tow truck because the owner doesn't know how to change a tire. There are many areas of auto maintenance that can be DIY. If you aren't comfortable turning wrenches on your ride than get yourself under a pro. I do realize that it does get expensive but when you have to get the Plymouth out of Dodge you want it running well. I'll try to make this a regular thing as time and subject matters cooperate.

Good suggestions Oddcalilber,

I just changed the oil and filter in 9ne of my vehicles today. I have all the tools I need to work on my vehicles. Lots of oil and oil filters, air filters, wipers, brake pads, brake fluid, belts and bulbs, etc... Whenever I need to replace something, I go buy the part and put it my preps and use the part I already have.. I even have a manual tire changer. I have usable used tires for all my vehicles.

I suggest building up an xtra supply of parts, ties, fluids, etc... as much as you can and learn how to do all routine maintenance yourself. Thus has taken me 30+ years of accumulating tools and equipment.

When serious SHTF and time is short, these are the things you will not likely look to acquire these things.

I don’t do the service on my vehicles anymore but I do know how to. Everyone should know the basics if they drive a car. As far as maintenance I’m a big believer. I have all the vEhicles oil changed at every 5000 miles. The main reason is it’s really easy to look at the odometer and know when it’s due again.

As I work remote locations/areas during the summer I've observed that a considerable number of people who can't change a flat. Even with a manual, no clue. In Maine's North Woods this can become serious very fast as there is no cell coverage, and it is very isolated. Regardless if you're driving in remote locations, or locally, the first thing that needs to be done is to toss the donut for a full size tire. If doing a rental, have the agency swap it out. If one lacks this knowledge, the solution is to find someone who can teach this skill, additionally learning how to fix a leaky tire is a plus. For our vehicle, we carry a floor jack as well as a 6 ton hydraulic, chocks, a four way, breaker bar, and a torque wrench, plus spare valve cores, lug nuts, and studs. along with a portable air tank. The last item, and the most important is the AP gauge for the daily PTI (pre trip inspection).

Latest posts

Back