Just a recommendation for handguns

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Silent Bob

God Like
Reaction score
Just placing it out there for the new prepper. I am not advocating one type over the other. This is simply info for you to make a choice.

Attachments

• firstgun.pdf
    32.4 KB · Views: 21
Bob, although I am tempted, I will refrain from critiquing the piece. I just advise everyone that it is prudent to get information from more than one source...:rolleyes:

Bob, although I am tempted, I will refrain from critiquing the piece. I just advise everyone that it is prudent to get information from more than one source...:rolleyes:

Lol, No please do critique away, I didn't mean to be so overt. Been a long day both at the home and the contract work I've been doing for my summer employer. The boss has to brief in D.C. and was expecting that I would have my analysis report done for him last night. I was using DPF just as a break.

I agree, on more than one source.

I recommend revolvers to everyone, too. EVERYONE. Novice to experienced. While I think that bobbed hammer(Or spurless) DAO revos have a hard to learn trigger, I do appreciate their ease of care and simple manual of arms. There is a firearms section though ,SilentBob.;)

Anyone who has ever fired a full powered 357 Magnum load in a 2 1/2" snubby want to comment on how a newbie might react to such an experience? And how everyone else in the room will react?

But, the #1 reason I no longer carry a wheelgun is the danged speedloaders which are just a major PITA to carry, as are the mags for the "Wonder Nines." The #2 reason is the time it takes to reload with a speedloader (which includes the time it takes to retrieve it) I can comfortably carry 3 spare 1911 mags...very comfortably.

Don't get me wrong, my bedside gun is a revolver (44 Special). Wheelguns have their place - FOR ME, that place is fending off an attacker just long enough to get to my rifle.

I recommend revolvers to everyone, too. EVERYONE. Novice to experienced. While I think that bobbed hammer(Or spurless) DAO revos have a hard to learn trigger, I do appreciate their ease of care and simple manual of arms. There is a firearms section though ,SilentBob.;)

Morning my friend. Hope the packing is going along well. I'' try and PM you later...after getting back from the doctor. My quarterly neurologist visit, where my good friend the doctor tells me that I should be in a wheel chair and not swimming/running. I keep telling her that she is just being too nice to me.

You know I was conflicted on where to place the two posts regarding guns. They seemed to be so basic that I didn't even want to post them in the first place, but thought that it might be useful in helping the new prepper. But yeah, post them in the gunroom...:)

Have a great day!

A revolver itself is highly reliable, easy to use and easy to operate under stress. Theresnothing wrong with carrying a revolver.
The downside is the very limited round capacity.
I myself prefer semi auto pistols, higher capacity and I just like shooting it better.
The downsite to a semi auto is that lots of unexperienced shooter cant operate them correctly under stress for example a home invasion situation.

Regardles what kind of weapon you carry or intend to use, training training and training is the most important thing to do. Under stress, in the dark etc. Did I mention training yet?
Muscle memory, and mind controll is number two for me.
The best gun in your hand is worthless if you are frozen of feat or in shock.

What is the simplest and most mechanically reliable, Revolvers would be my guess, I'm not a cop, nor a soldier any more so I'm not looking to fight a battle unless I have to.

Say for example I'm a prepper who wants a gun " just in case" and that in case could be popping a rattler if I'm back in Liberal KS, bagging a bunny for the pot, scaring off a mugger or putting two rounds center of mass into an home intruder, apart from weekly practice the pistol will just sit in my pocket or on my hip possibly for months on end.

Even with 20 plus years soldiering under my belt in a SHTF situation I will always prefer to give ground than get into a gun battle if I'm outnumbered, ( better to run away and live to fight another day WHEN I CONTROL THE ENVIRONMENT

Again I'm a prepper and we appear at least on other threads to favour 22LR, so perhaps in the names of commonality and lack of recoil a 22 revolver or semi auto pistol would be the natural partner for the Ruger 10/22 we chatted about earlier.

So if a newbie is getting a Ruger 10/22 would it not make sense to get a 22 handgun at least until they are more competent and more enlightened.

A similar alternative which would appeal to me would be a .38 special revolver and a 38 carbine ???

As far as brand I have never had a Ruger anything to fail but most of todays " name brand " firearms should give reliable service . Simi auto has its advantages with faster reloads and capacity . A good revolver Ruger , Smith & Weson , Colt to just name the best known is tuff reliable and simple to use . The best thing about Revolver for beginner would be safty when you fire it it does not reload and cock itself . I have a Ruger Black Hawk in .357 Mag that is acurate and when clearing leather and getting the first round on target its hard to beat a single action but takes to long to reload to be a carry alone gun . My P89 9mm holds 15 Rnds and can add supressive and room clearing fire if I'm carrying my Sniper rifle . A great hand gun to match ammo needs with a Ruger 10-22 would be the little Mk 2 Ruger simi auto .22 pistol . I had a stainless target model a great gun I should have kept . Wich reminds me we should start a thread for guns we should not have traded off .

before I joined my army-reserve group I had in my little mind a thought that shooting a pistol would be easy, after the first shooting I realized that oh-boy this isn't so easy...so I think like the majority who shoots regulary;practice,practice and more practice...
and as Marv.Schmitz87 said...practice :)

I will be unpopular for this opinion but, I have never liked or found revolvers to be reliable. My experience is in the field however so I won't say anything about home defense.. In the field revolvers fail like mad. All brands all makes. The military doesn't standard issue revolvers. Now some will say it's because of ammo capacity. Still why is this argument not valid for the beginner, I'd rather my daughter have 16 rounds and teach her to quick clear a feed problem than 6 and hope the trigger pull and hammer doesn't throw off her only 6 chances of killing the intruder.

AW!!!!!!!!!!!!!! .......... Grasshopper .... when you can grasp the pebble from my hand............ Revolver in the other...... I am adding your family to my prayer list................................ I refuse to give up on you.
I will be unpopular for this opinion but, I have never liked or found revolvers to be reliable. My experience is in the field however so I won't say anything about home defense.. In the field revolvers fail like mad. All brands all makes. The military doesn't standard issue revolvers. Now some will say it's because of ammo capacity. Still why is this argument not valid for the beginner, I'd rather my daughter have 16 rounds and teach her to quick clear a feed problem than 6 and hope the trigger pull and hammer doesn't throw off her only 6 chances of killing the intruder.

Here is something to think about. Chances are, the mere presence of a gun, any gun, can make an attacker think twice about pressing the attack. They generally prefer unarmed victims. At this point, "STOP OR I'LL SHOOT" may very well result in the attacker surrendering or fleeing...if you are lucky.

But, here comes the BUT...

Once you pull that trigger, threats of violence are no longer on the table. Hopefully the attacker will retreat or be incapacitated, but if he returns fire, you are now engaged in a gunfight. "STOP OR I'LL SHOOT" is no longer a viable option., you've already played your hand. If you only have 5 rounds they can go really quickly. Once they are gone, what are you going to do? Yell "WAIT, I'M OUT OF AMMO, LET'S TALK THIS OVER!"??? You now only have two choices: RELOAD FAST or RUN FOR YOUR LIFE.

so here it might be appropriate with: the more the merrier??

There is absolutely no way on earth I am going to shout any sort of warning to an intruder or aggressor because that simply passes the advantage to him, especially if he is armed he can simply open fire on towards the direction the voice came from. Its like the silly arse in some regiments I served with, a dork of an officer in these units would shout " Open Fire" and the troop could take a couple of seconds to pen fire. but the wise officer simply opens fire and everyone else joins in.

No warnings, if you are in my house or on my property illegally at night you are simply suddenly aware of an arrow or crossbow bolt in your guts.

I was thought by my instuctor;take aim and be sure you hit your target,then you can shout:stop or I'll shoot, but remember to press the trigger same time ;)

Warnings depend on the situation. Lethal threats are met with lethal force. Sometimes that sight is enough to stop the threat. If someone retreats or withdraws their threat of violence in time, then letting them live is the right thing to do. Legality and morality are certainly two different situations. Defending yourself is within reason to all but the most extreme pacifists, but if they're retreating, you've successfully defended yourself. "No shot stop"?

There are 6,7, and even 8 shot revos out there for self defense, most snubbies are only capable of only 5-6, but... I truly feel the ease of use of a revolver makes it a perfect candidate for beginners. Roninsensei, I like revolvers for many newbies because some of them don't have upper body/arm/hand strength to run a semiauto. Some have arthritis, etc... Revolvers have a super simple manual of arms that even the least interested person could grasp. Not everyone wants to learn, or can reach the decocker, safety, mag release. I think this is large part of why Glocks are so popular. They are easy to use. Load them and shoot. No decocker, no safety(Manual, external ones anyways). Of course they're reliable and accurate enough, but simplicity is Glock's claim to fame. I feel the same way about revos. Using them "In the field" is a fairly general term, I guess. We used revolvers in service for a long time. They were used in the wild west, of course, and were the standard issue sidearm for PDs up until the 80s, when they started the transition to semis. Much of this might depend on holsters and where you are actually at. I've had an SP101 full of sand shoot without a problem, but I have also seen a Charter Arms & Smith & Wesson revolver with bad timing that locked up when they were perfectly clean. Maybe this just has to be left up to each individual shooter as they decide to arm themselves. I dunno. I am a BIG fan of revolvers, but I carry Glocks and 1911s personally... Maybe that makes me a hypocrite.

Another aspect of revolvers that I like is the firepower. I agree that a well placed shot is paramount to stopping a threat, but power isn't a bad thing, and revolvers can allow you to shoot a 38special(For similar to 9mm ballistics) or 357magnum, which is hard to beat when it comes to proven histories. Granted it's a handful, but so is a 45 for most novice shooters. This allows them to step up as their familiarity increases.

A revolver itself is highly reliable, easy to use and easy to operate under stress. Theresnothing wrong with carrying a revolver... Muscle memory, and mind controll is number two for me.
The best gun in your hand is worthless if you are frozen of feat or in shock.

I couldnt' agree more. I think that mindset is the most important aspect of preparedness, including training for home & self defense. This is just my opinion of course, but I feel that the mindset is what gets us to prep in the first place, or it's what gets us to realize that there are dangers out there that we need to protect ourselves from. Mindset gets us to begin training and is what keeps us in a fight or keeps us from going into shock when injured. The more we train, the more we develop muscle memory and skills that help us grow in our mindset to be prepared to defend ourselves against whatever it is that we're up against.

Warnings depend on the situation. .

My father showed me both type of handguns when I learned to fire as a young boy. One of the most important things beside the "safety" and "never pointing the business end at anyone unless you plan to use it", was that he broke down the advantages/disadvantages of both a revolver and semi-automatic handguns. I can still hear him say, that while their are many disadvantages to a revolver, their are two issues that stood out most favorably...one is that you are not worried about a jammed magazine/or poor operating magazine and the other was that the revolver, based on the actions of your hostile opponent, gave you time to think clearly before you engaged him. I know their are many in here in the forum that have experience in weapons, so I am not going to belabor the point. But don't you think that was some great advice for a learning young novice?

Which brings me to my next point. I really think that Alabaster's thoughts should be reread and thought carefully. I specifically was moved by this one passage..."Defending yourself is within reason to all but the most extreme pacifists, but if they're retreating, you've successfully defended yourself. "No shot stop"?" I think everyone should heed this advice. I know their are many in the state of Texas, who claim they will fire and ask questions later if someone is on their property, but is it sound to think you are protected legally. From the seven good friends of mine who work both local, state and federal law enforcement, their is a fine line between self defense and involuntary manslaughter through negligence. I did some checking also with someone who is an acquaintance in the district attorney office and placed a hypothetical question regarding self defense in an event, and he replied that if it were him and the evidence showed that the person took the law into his hands without consideration...he would consider it murder. So you might choose not to use a verbal warning, but you should consider at least a posted sign letting people know your intent at least in the beginning of an event. Maybe later as the populace thins out and roving groups begin to show up at your property line, then a different tactic will be necessary...but in the beginning, calm and cool heads must be the rule.

Now before anyone starts breaking this comment down, just think about it...as preppers, we can plan, but until their is a breakdown in government and their is no longer rule of law...then I think we should allow our government and our elected officials an opportunity to meet those obligations. First, people need to understand the government is not going to fall overnight...things will be bleak, in some cases, regional and municipalities may take steps necessary to install their own martial law. It is written in most city ordinances and they don't need state/federal approval to do so. In the state of Texas while overall response falls to the governor, more or less that responsibility is delegated to the state's Emergency Manager, who works under the umbrella of Department of Safety. I can assure you that the late Jack Colley, would have had things under control, because I saw him work under fire and I never seen a more cooler cucumber in my life. Possibly, why up until his massive heart attack that took his life, he was good at his job. . I don't know the current EM, Chief Kidd, but he was the San Antonio Fire Chief...so as a metro level firefighter...I am sure he has seen it all and when the time comes to address an event that impacts our safety, I am sure he will make every attempt to protect those who live in the State of Texas. I am sure the same goes for each states identified EM. Second, as far as taking law in to your own hands...to me, you not only hindering the response process, but are adding to the chaos. Who are we to decide when government has failed to protect? I think it would be prudent to continue to prepare and react to the situation as it develops. I like the idea of retreat...you live longer and well the old adage "live another day"..in my case, I'd extend that too you not bringing the "rain" down on your head.

Call a spade a spade.

Last edited:
fathers seem to have something in them when they do and say something,only later will we understand how great
it was and how wise they were,hopefully I've done something that my kids will remember.
I'll go for that,let the government do its job as far as they can,we have still an opprtunity to prep and finetune everything as far as possible ,while the government do what they do.
it would be a pity sitting behind bars if everything breaks down

Latest posts

Back