Just a recommendation for handguns

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
though I like old western movies,specially those with John Wayne...I would choose a pistol,quite like the glock

I told ya it would be unpopular.... :(
Don't worry, bud. Everyone here values your opinion, even if we differ with you. :cool:

My father showed me both type of handguns when I learned to fire as a young boy. One of the most important things beside the "safety" and "never pointing the business end at anyone unless you plan to use it", was that he broke down the advantages/disadvantages of both a revolver and semi-automatic handguns. I can still hear him say, that while their are many disadvantages to a revolver, their are two issues that stood out most favorably...one is that you are not worried about a jammed magazine/or poor operating magazine and the other was that the revolver, based on the actions of your hostile opponent, gave you time to think clearly before you engaged him.

Thanks for the co-sign, SilentBob. I had a very similar experience with my dad, too. We shot his Ruger Standard first, and then move on to his Dan Wesson 357, which of course was loaded with 38s. I was actually afraid to shoot a Beretta when I was 12-13, but once my brother and cousin talked me into it, I found it to be quite pleasant. At least in single action. I struggled with double action revolvers then too though. It wasn't till much later in life that I realized why I preferred a DAO revo. Students shoot DA/SA revos in SA on the range, then when it really matters, they're stuck struggling with a 12+lb pull that they've never gotten personal with. There's many a person who struggles with DA pulls on semis and revos, but it seems more common on revolvers in my experience.

I told ya it would be unpopular.... :(

Not me...my daughter carries a nice little pink 9mm. She said they didn't make purple...told her I could have it made custom...typical of today's kids today...she wanted it now and gift wrapped. Son said that his M-4 would not be well received on campus by campus police...so he will settle for a 45 cal semi. Both daughter and son's BOB's have a 357, just as a get away, if by chance they forget to take their semi with them. I agree 100% if I had to make the choice on which way to go for self defense, it'd be a semi-auto...but my old man was a really wise man. He entered the military without ever graduating from high school, got his GED, and retired as a Sergeant Major back in the old Army. Okay maybe not always the wisest because I read his bronze and silver star with valor awards that he received in the Korean/Vietnam war and must admit, he was a bit crazy in what he did, but I guess that is why it was hard to live in the man's shadow. One thing I learned was to keep my mouth shut and my eyes open, whenever he talked or whenever he showed me things. I had to put the revolver moment down because it simply made me think of him.

As for the rest of my thoughts, my slant is that we are not in a civil war, nope, just checked out the window, other than the USA chanting that is coming down the street. I just hear to many times in places...the guy who keeps saying..."well if their on my property...I am going to place a slug in them", blow hards...other than hunting, I think most people have never seen what a hollow point or FMJ can do to a person. I'm sure Doc Pops and Warriorhealer22 would agree, its not only particular frustrating, but scary as #$%^ when your trying to save someone and recall all your training. Human's are the biggest science conundrum in the world and when you have a chest wound staring at your face, your placed it a situation that no matter how hard you work to keep them alive, something is bound to bite you back...respect Mr. Murphy. I've had my fill of pinching off an artery or shoving a couple of pints of blood into a human to keep them alive, so that I can get them to the next level of care. I don't care to do it anymore, hence, why I chose another profession. Its not the skillsets, its the overall well being it has on a human psyche, wound injuries whether it is an IED or a gunshot wound, changes a person, it makes you question the world, it makes you question your faith and it questions why? I hope I never have to pull the trigger on another soul for the rest of my life. So that is why I placed my thoughts on the whole issue of people being calm, once the SHTF, I think if we do that, things, while stressful, will allow us one more day to survive the chaos.
Don't worry, bud. Everyone here values your opinion, even if we differ with you. :cool:

Thanks for the co-sign, SilentBob. I had a very similar experience with my dad, too. We shot his Ruger Standard first, and then move on to his Dan Wesson 357, which of course was loaded with 38s. I was actually afraid to shoot a Beretta when I was 12-13, but once my brother and cousin talked me into it, I found it to be quite pleasant. At least in single action. I struggled with double action revolvers then too though. It wasn't till much later in life that I realized why I preferred a DAO revo. Students shoot DA/SA revos in SA on the range, then when it really matters, they're stuck struggling with a 12+lb pull that they've never gotten personal with. There's many a person who struggles with DA pulls on semis and revos, but it seems more common on revolvers in my experience.

Sounds like we both had very great dads!

Yes, my dad was and still is an awesome individual. He's getting a little older now, so he tells a lot of the same stories, but I wouldn't trade him for all the good stories in the world.

Trauma care, wound care, those are all very unsettling and I believe it takes a special kind of person to do that. My wife is good at it, as long as it's not her that's injured. I'm good if I'm injured, but I don't know how well I'd handle her being injured! That may sound nuts, but we've both done fine when I had a couple bad motorcycle wrecks and a couple surgeries afterwords. She's a bit more delicate though and even though she's not a girly-girl, I worry that the sight of her own blood or knowing she had broken a bone might rattle her. Who knows. Surely not I. I hope I never find out, either!

that's true, think those things aren't just for decoration...

For center fire, I haven't had a lot of failures, I had one failure on the wheel gun and that was a colt detective special from one of my reloads, I had far more stove pipes on an semi-auto then any failure on a wheel gun, I have practiced enough with the 1911a1 I was replacing the barrel every year, as far as reliability I hunted bear/deer/elk and javelina with a wheel gun and never had an issue, I always have a semi-auto 1911a1 and a ruger gp-100 357 near me all the time, I hunt with a 44mag ruger SB and trust all with my life! So, buy with what you are comfortable with and shoot straight regardless semi or wheel gun.

Last edited:
Maybe we need a new thread about the "Best Brand" :eek:

That will get us nowhere. Lol, you could open a new thread about the best beer brand, car brand, sports team etc. Lol.

In my opinion there's nothing better than Heckler&Koch. If its the P8, G36, G22, G3 or MP7. I carried these guns for quite some time, gave them a beating, trusted my life on them, they never let me down.

Theres just too much personal preference to really find out the best brand.

how about it guys; whatever works for you???
I kinda fell in love with my new 10/22 and previous to that when I got my first ak-type, the finnish version, in arny, simple,reliable,easy to clean
and I did try the browning fn there but with the glock;love at first sight, this weapon I use when shooting with my reserve unit

Glocks are good guns not great. There good at almost everything. I just avoid the gen 4s not a fan of the cheaper changes made and I have had 2 different friends test out the gen 4 through glocks own torture test and fail every time. I prefer the Springfield XD9.

In my opinion there's nothing better than Heckler&Koch. If its the P8, G36, G22, G3 or MP7. I carried these guns for quite some time, gave them a beating, trusted my life on them, they never let me down...

I was kidding, really. I think almost all modern pistols are worthy for what most owners ask of them. For those of us who use them professionally, we choose different tools because we have different uses. Professional mechanics use Snap-On tools, so many of us feel that way about our firearms, knives, and other "Tools of the trade".

Marv, my second gig in the firearms field was with HK here in America. Great place, great guns for the most part. I'm not a fan of the USP, but I loved my P7. Their assault rifles with roller locked systems are awesome, and the submachine guns from HK are second to none. I liked the G36, too. I did hear that Germany had issues with it in the field, but I wasn't dealing with that directly, so I would imagine you're more informed on that than I am.

That Finnish AK is one of the best AK'S and the most collectable . I would like to pick up one of the surplus West German Sig p226 or another Sig but My next hand gun will most likely be a Ruger P1911 .45 in stainless .

oooh,how I wish the gun laws were slightly different here...well I will propably try my luck with a pistol within this year.
don't wanna try my luck to often with out police, too much too soon and they might ask questions

I'll say what my father told me when I started to look into hand guns: revolvers have less moving parts, that means less S*** goes wrong. A semi though will fire way more shots. More shots means less things you have to worry about.

Personally I will be getting a double action .357 and a semi auto 1911 .45

They will be for different situations though. The 357 will probably go in my BOB while the .45 will be given to my brothers should the SHTF.

Latest posts

Back