Jim's Rant For The Day. (On the Collapse and Reset)

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have the tools and the manpower, I have the seeds and fertiliser, I have a well and water, I have the sun...
Can I protect my food/garden/animals 24/7 all alone?? Don't think so.
Do I or can I produce enough for others to eat with me and help protect?? Don't think so...
Do your best, hope for the best, enjoy what you have as long as possible...

But you can you partner with others who are growing gardens and help protect one another? Or go stand guard for a farmer and his family?

But you can you partner with others who are growing gardens and help protect one another? Or go stand guard for a farmer and his family?

One of the things I ran into out at BOL2 is the number of people that would have to stand guard, to cover the entire property and prevent squatters or a scouting party checking us out, would make the production inadequate to sustain all of us.

Now maybe if it was located in say, Kansas and I was growing wheat, I could build some guard towers and cover it, while others worked, but, with trees and brush, it is very difficult to have adequate guards AND still feed everyone with what you grow.

A modified "phone tree" might be more of a practical solution than physically trying to keep everyone out.

At Gary’s home I was envisioning a group of folks who are relatively close enough to help one another with defense. Contact would be via radio. Gary would have to hold whoever off for 5 or 10 minutes to give the others time to get there.

As far as working for a farmer? That plan is one Gary is very capable of implementing. Can’t imagine not being able to find enough folks to help protect a farm.

At Gary’s home I was envisioning a group of folks who are relatively close enough to help one another with defense. Contact would be via radio. Gary would have to hold whoever off for 5 or 10 minutes to give the others time to get there.
The locals are fairly close together but getting older and less capable of defending much of anything. If it gets hard here, I will pack up things and get to an area surrounded by woods and water where I can hunt and fish, but far away enough that I do not have to worry much about the squatters or thieves finding us. They will eventually thin themselves out, the weather will do the same, lack of food and water will drive them into the cities and weaken the majority enough so they will not survive a single winter...There are only 4 families I can trust to be able to help us do anything and I am only sure that 2 could survive like me in the woods...
Small time survival with good equipment for a while but no meds, cleaning facilities or re-supplies.
Nobody will live forever, not even with no SHTF problems...live free, Gary

As far as working for a farmer? That plan is one Gary is very capable of implementing. Can’t imagine not being able to find enough folks to help protect a farm.

I was looking at other instances. At BOL 2 the smallest lot within 3 miles, is 10 acres and unoccupied. The rest are at least 20 up to the one to my immediate south which is 2,000.. Many of these are cattle grazing leases or timber plots, without residents. It takes me 20 minutes at a fast walk down the road to my closest full time neighbor. The other neighbor, it is half an hour, through the forest and through 2 gullies creeks (tactically, very dangerous). Our group will pretty much be on their own.

Mutual aid might work for a community of "gentleman's farms" where you have a population density of 2-3 people per 5-20 acres (like bol1). You get much larger than that or in a very rural area and you run into manpower and logistical issues.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back