Jet boilers

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wailingBanshee

Reaction score
Just wondering what other preppers think of these. My son wants to get a couple and one for me. Anyone got an opinion. All advice taken on board

Just wondering what other preppers think of these. My son wants to get a couple and one for me. Anyone got an opinion. All advice taken on board

you talking about the butane boiler? if so then you got altitude and temperature limitations then the extra bulk and expense of the canisters.

I take it your talking about this Jet Boil: I have two, one in my BOB and the other one that I take out for camping. Granted as Maverick states their are limitations, 1) fuel 2) altitude and temperature do affect it. I couldn't operate mine up in Alaska, it kept going out because of the cold. Prior to lighting it up there, I had to place the butane canister under my arm pits to warm it up (not fun when it was -8 degrees). However, they are extremely advantageous if your in the rain and wants something steaming hot to help the hypothermia affects or don't want to give your position away with a fire. My Jet Boil fits right inside one of my side pouches with two spare canisters. Lighting the Jet Boil is a snap, no different that lighting up the grill or stove by hand. As the pressure decreases in your butane canister, you might have issues maintaining the light.

71ncTcKw4sS._SL1500_.jpg

Hmm, I kind of like that, it looks to have good reviews, different variations and attachments and accessories though a tab bit spendy

Having just returning from the movies to see Expendables 3, no I won't say anything about the movie here...but Terry Crews AKA Cesar or Cheeseburger Eddie (Longest Yard Remake with Adam Sandler), on Expendables 2, Cesar boiled up some coffee, single cup. Lol, I actually got the idea from him, granted I am not taking a complete brew kit with me into the field, but I have now grown to have a complete disdain for the freeze dried crap that they pawn off as coffee in the MRE packs...so the natural solution was to pick up a Jetboil. I've actually gotten pretty good at cooking with one to include supplementing either the MRE ratio or freeze dried Mountain pack stuff to make a sumptuous meal to includes some great stews and even dumplings. Yes, that's right good old dumplings from prepackaged Bisquick packets. I've also made some pretty good wild rice dishes from the Uncle Ben stuff, a can of chicken, and some herbs and mushrooms I've found growing on my hikes. So yes, I'd say, while the kit is pretty expensive at first, maintenance is low on them and for me, going back to my Cesar "moment", well worth it. I'd say Maverick considering where you live and love to hike, something to take in a day pack for a nice hike or if your hunting, definitely a friend on those cold nights.

Thanks for the comments. My lad wants one when he's on exercise and mine is going in my bob. It's exactly the ones he wants many thanks guys :)

I tried to convince the wife we need one she was quick to point out she don't drink coffee (only ice tea or water) she loves her apex 2 stove for cooking never the less, I put one down on my 'wants list' I can't see this replacing the apex stoves we have but it would be a good supplement to our packable stoves, I can see where this would be far more handy then the apex in a number of situations.

I tried to convince the wife we need one she was quick to point out she don't drink coffee (only ice tea or water) she loves her apex 2 stove for cooking never the less, I put one down on my 'wants list' I can't see this replacing the apex stoves we have but it would be a good supplement to our packable stoves, I can see where this would be far more handy then the apex in a number of situations.

I've got two MSR stoves, they work pretty well also, but for some reason, the Jetboil is my go to stove. I do have on the wish list a Primus Eta Stove. Never played with the APEX. Regardless, I sure would have enjoyed my Jetboil when I was at Fairchild doing my Escape and Evasion/Air Crew Survival Course. At least my meager rabbit morsels would have gone down better in a hot soup, rather than over my small fire. Just my take but a soup broth is better than losing most of the fat from a grilled rabbit.

I love mine. Been using it for years now even in Alaska. Used it for regular dude chow and many outdoor excursions. Super good morale builder in the cold and you can fry up food with pan too. Definitely recommend it although there are slightly lighter and more efficient ones out there

I love mine, I've used it on mt chasta at 11k ft and had no issues, but then again you are limited to the amount of fuel you can carry.

Since I posted last we stopped using the apex 2 and started using our backup the optimus crux stoves. I have used the biolite stove for about a year in 2012, a nice stove does the job perfectly but feeding it is a pain and at 2lbs a little heavy, I don't like having to wait for it to cool down to pack it (takes to long), it looks like I may be getting a jetboil :)

Anyway, the picture of my biolite, a great stove, no fuel required (liquid) just wood and very fast at boiling water just not worth the weight in the backpack.

FullSizeRenderA.jpg

I've been using a Jetboil for a few years, they are great. Just remember you can't take the cannisters on a plan so if you are flying to a walk you have to source them locally when you get there.

Latest posts

Back