Its amazing....what you can find

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike Quinn

Reaction score
I was clearing out one of our cupboards today and I found the following items

A Silva compass.
2x Bivi bags.
A head torch.
2x knives.
A salt and pepper combo set.
A 10x25 Monocular.
A foil space blanket.
and last but not least a multi tool thingy its a pair of secateurs with other blades.

People seem to over look what they already have. Either things are forgotten or over looked. I use alot of my camping equipment in my preps. Alot of things can be used in preps that are are around the house. Best of all its free.

I am right there with you on that !!

ok mike what her phone number.and i'll give her a call the first chance i get..lol

Flea markets and yard sales are good places to find older issue tactical items. A lot of people want the latest and greatest so they can look like they stepped out of Call of Duty but older gear is usually capable of doing everything you need it to and doesn't cost you hundreds. There are improvements made along the way in some lines, like sleeping bags...the old issue army sleeping bags are heavy and bulky, you are in a world of hurt if they get wet too. Newer ones are leaps and strides better in every area.

An absolutely awesome piece of gear that you should get is a Gortex Bivy cover, it's essentially a shelter on its own. Poncho liners are older issue items and worthy of a place in my ruck any day. I have 3 and one has been with me all over the world - told my wife that I will be buried with it!

Flea markets and yard sales are good places to find older issue tactical items. A lot of people want the latest and greatest so they can look like they stepped out of Call of Duty but older gear is usually capable of doing everything you need it to and doesn't cost you hundreds. There are improvements made along the way in some lines, like sleeping bags...the old issue army sleeping bags are heavy and bulky, you are in a world of hurt if they get wet too. Newer ones are leaps and strides better in every area.

An absolutely awesome piece of gear that you should get is a Gortex Bivy cover, it's essentially a shelter on its own. Poncho liners are older issue items and worthy of a place in my ruck any day. I have 3 and one has been with me all over the world - told my wife that I will be buried with it!

Sounds like you are a back packer. Right with you on the Gortex Bivy ! I carry a Marmot limelight.

Latest posts

Back