Items you normally don't think to stockpile

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gazrok

A True Doomsday Prepper
Reaction score
In the process of making and planning preps, I've often stumbled upon items I didn't originally think of to stockpile. We all think about food, water, weapons, etc., but there are other things also.

KNOWLEDGE - If the grid collapses, so does the Internet. Gone is the ability to get info on anything within moments. That's why books of useful knowledge, maps, how to guides, pdfs, etc. will be gold.

DIVERSIONS - No TV or Internet, so once you do get some down time from surviving, what to do for fun? Games, cards, and other non-powered diversions (including books).

SHOES - Shoes wear out. This will be especially true in a survival situation. An expensive item to stockpile, and one with no real immediate benefit, but not a bad idea to have a few spare practical shoes around.

TOILET PAPER - Sure, you can use leaves, but I'd rather have a stockpile of this, thanks.

CLEANERS - Sanitation will be important. There are household ways to make these as well, so not a bad thing to look into.

PET SUPPLIES/FOOD - Sure, you stocked up plenty of food, but what about your cat or dog?

BUILDING/REPAIR SUPPLIES - Things break, they'll need fixing.

SPARE CAR ELECTRONIC PARTS - If an EMP pulse kills your vehicle, not the end of the world if you have some key spare parts that are in a shielded location. Could get them from a junkyard even, and have just in case.

So, what other items have recently made your lists, that you didn't think of before?

Good point. Another one of mine too...., also:

GAS CANS - Hard to loot gas if you can't get it home or take with you

COMMUNICATIONS - So your scouts, sentries, can keep in contact

WOOD - The world's oldest fuel source

Tampons or pads? I think you mean pads...we use them for horse scrapes a lot (because horses are too big for band-aids). Tampons do have lots of uses though (Google on survival uses for tampons...seriously).

Here's another:

Get several bottles of multivitamins, magnesium, vitamin D and Complex B formulas. Magnesium and the B vitamins will be hard to get into your diet unless you are eating a lot of nuts and seed or fresh green veggies. You will be indoor much of the time, so Vitamin D will be crucial. The multivitamin will fill in the gaps where your diet is inadequate. During times of stress, our bodies need extra vitamins, so this will be crucial.

From another thread response by Ally, but really fits here too.

Ive been adding manual tools. Drills, hand saws, hand pumps for water, etc. If its electric now and was made yrs ago as manual labor tools, it could be useful. I hit the pawn shops and kinda mill around those, also have started garage selling, there's usually some bargains to be had there as well.

Here's another:

From another thread response by Ally, but really fits here too.

Thanks for giving me credit! I am happy to help anyone that needs advice on meds and supplements. My daughter is the one to ask about trauma or emergency medicine.

Tampons or pads? I think you mean pads...we use them for horse scrapes a lot (because horses are too big for band-aids). Tampons do have lots of uses though (Google on survival uses for tampons...seriously).
The steering wheel was too hot the other day and my son opened up the console and found a maxipad. He wrapped it around the steering wheel to keep from burning his hand. I got in the truck and saw it and my husband just looked at me and said, "You don't want to know."

Ive been adding manual tools

Yep, we have those too. Never thought to mention them, but great idea to do so.
I sometime use a manual drill just because it's too much work to rig up a cord. I know, I know, I really need a cordless, but I have like 3 corded drills, and most of the time, a plug is handy, so not a big deal.
I have an old manual mixer that is pretty neat. I'd love to get a manual washing machine at some point.

Thanks for giving me credit!

Of course.

Yep, we have those too. Never thought to mention them, but great idea to do so.
I sometime use a manual drill just because it's too much work to rig up a cord. I know, I know, I really need a cordless, but I have like 3 corded drills, and most of the time, a plug is handy, so not a big deal.
I have an old manual mixer that is pretty neat. I'd love to get a manual washing machine at some point.

Of course.

This is pretty cool. I thought about getting one for the camper.http://www.amazon.com/The-Laundry-Alternative-Wonderwash/dp/B002C8HR9A/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1377290517&sr=8-3&keywords=manual washing machine

Yeah, I saw that before on an infomercial or something, small load though, but in a SHTF situation? Not a bad idea.

Yeah, I saw that before on an infomercial or something, small load though, but in a SHTF situation? Not a bad idea.

If SHTF, I'd just put water in my tub and start stomping on the clothes. Still not
sure if I am going to spend the money on one or not. Might check out craigslist.

Not bad at about $40, though $20-$30 would be more fair. The one selling point is that it could potentially use less water than the tub idea.

Since we're bugging in not out so I've stockpiled two year supply of deoderant for both me and hubby, two year supply of toothpaste and mouthwash of our favorite brands for myself, hubby, and both girls. Five year supply of pads and tampons cause lets face it, three females in a house... Also have a 1 year supply of shampoo and conditioner, body wash, and lever 2000 bar soap. Two year supply of All detergent, windex, Clorox clean up, Dawn, Palmolive, and white vinegar.

I am also stockpiling essential oils and absolutes. Not for perfume making but for a variety of other reasons. Medicinal purposes to be sure but citrus oils to keep away bugs, Mosquitos, and lice. Pain relief oils like clove and Lavendar.

Also, shoes were mentioned. Look into shoes made with PVC. They last longer, are more durable, and relatively light in weight compared to leather. I have a pair of PVC sandals I got at the flea market for $20 over 9 years ago and they have stood the test of time very well.

I keep old gatoraid jugs for water u can get em in half gallon an gallon containers also their bpa free and very cheap tie a rope around the neck for a strap or tie it to your bag i keep some just for gathering water and baithing so i dont contaminate my drinking water i also play farkle with dice its easy game we gamble with it sometimes just for fun but the plus side is that they dont ruin like cards i keep extra wash rags for hygiene so you can rotate i store extra soap in my bob im a clean freak

i've been getting nopalea juice from trivita..and been saveing the 32 ounce bottles.thier great for keeping water in.i have 7 empty at time.in which im useing 1 to drink water from at time..the screw on caps seal good in which they do a good job of not leaking

If an extra pair of shoes seems to much, I go through shoe strings like crazy. Shoe strings have a lot of other possible uses and are not heavy. Just a thought...

In the process of making and planning preps, I've often stumbled upon items I didn't originally think of to stockpile. We all think about food, water, weapons, etc., but there are other things also.

KNOWLEDGE - If the grid collapses, so does the Internet. Gone is the ability to get info on anything within moments. That's why books of useful knowledge, maps, how to guides, pdfs, etc. will be gold.

DIVERSIONS - No TV or Internet, so once you do get some down time from surviving, what to do for fun? Games, cards, and other non-powered diversions (including books).

SHOES - Shoes wear out. This will be especially true in a survival situation. An expensive item to stockpile, and one with no real immediate benefit, but not a bad idea to have a few spare practical shoes around.

TOILET PAPER - Sure, you can use leaves, but I'd rather have a stockpile of this, thanks.

CLEANERS - Sanitation will be important. There are household ways to make these as well, so not a bad thing to look into.

PET SUPPLIES/FOOD - Sure, you stocked up plenty of food, but what about your cat or dog?

BUILDING/REPAIR SUPPLIES - Things break, they'll need fixing.

SPARE CAR ELECTRONIC PARTS - If an EMP pulse kills your vehicle, not the end of the world if you have some key spare parts that are in a shielded location. Could get them from a junkyard even, and have just in case.

So, what other items have recently made your lists, that you didn't think of before?
key to avoiding emp problems with vehicles ! have a spare pre 1980

Latest posts

Back