It seems to be getting harder to find store bought preps

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
The Wife and I just started getting serious about prepping 3 or 4 months ago.
It's already getting more difficult to find long term food preps. Has anyone one else who are are new to prepping noticed this?
It was easy getting 6 months of Patriot supply stuff so we decided to look into some Mountain Home stuff for a bit of variety.
They seem to be picked clean,my theory is they just well known so everyone has hit them first.
Anyone else?

Buy what you can find. My patriot supply and ready hour are the same. 4patriots is about the same. You have mountain house, ready wise, legacy, augerson farms, not bad. Best quality is probably nutrient surviver, valley food storage and emergency essentials. Very high quality, organic, tested food buckets are the health ranger buckets, when you can get them, also the most expensive.

While I want the best I can get there comes a time when you take the best you can find.
Of course we're always looking for the best stuff we can find I sure wont complain if we can only get what we can find.
We're always on the lookout for the good stuff no doubt. If we have stuff that doesnt measure up I see it as trade goods.

If you just started prepping a few months ago, go with a years supply of grocery store offerings first, before you buy the long term stuff. Long term stuff is no fun to eat all the time. And alot of the buckets contain things like mac and cheese, orange drink mix, instant potatoes, and instant oatmeal. You can get all of that in a grocery store. Buy dry food stuff at the grocery store, canned food, baking supplies. Even canned hamburger and hamburger helper stroganoff will taste better than Mt House after awhile. Tuna helper with a can of tuna. Canned ravioli. There's a ton of premade stuff out that with a two year shelf life. Get that first. And flour, sugar, pancake mix, that kind of stuff. When you've got all of that, then look to the other stuff.

If you just started prepping a few months ago, go with a years supply of grocery store offerings first, before you buy the long term stuff. Long term stuff is no fun to eat all the time. And alot of the buckets contain things like mac and cheese, orange drink mix, instant potatoes, and instant oatmeal. You can get all of that in a grocery store. Buy dry food stuff at the grocery store, canned food, baking supplies. Even canned hamburger and hamburger helper stroganoff will taste better than Mt House after awhile. Tuna helper with a can of tuna. Canned ravioli. There's a ton of premade stuff out that with a two year shelf life. Get that first. And flour, sugar, pancake mix, that kind of stuff. When you've got all of that, then look to the other stuff.

We bought the bucket supplies since they were good for immediate use.
The Wife picks up stuff like beans and rice at the grocery store as well as other things like salt,sugar,flour, and a shit load of other essentials.
She was adopted by people who grew up during the depression so she gets it. She knows how to can as well as other methods to store food.
I was just commenting on how fast people are realizing that they may be in a world of shit.
We'll keep looking for things that will help us out in the long run no doubt.

You know, I hope people are realizing it. And doing something about it. It's a lifestyle that takes alot of work, and there's not a day goes by where I'm not working with food in some way or another. You'd think people would learn after March 2020 and the store runs. Maybe they did, or maybe not many care anymore. All we can do is focus on our own families and do what we can right now. It's only going to get harder.

The Wife and I just started getting serious about prepping 3 or 4 months ago.
It's already getting more difficult to find long term food preps. Has anyone one else who are are new to prepping noticed this?
It was easy getting 6 months of Patriot supply stuff so we decided to look into some Mountain Home stuff for a bit of variety.
They seem to be picked clean,my theory is they just well known so everyone has hit them first.
Anyone else?

It may only be a small contribution - but i have also dried and vacuumed vegetables. They easily keep for a year. It's always a good thing to add in soups or sauces, especially if you don't have a garden. Over here some canned goods have an expiring date of one to two years.

It may only be a small contribution - but i have also dried and vacuumed vegetables. They easily keep for a year. It's always a good thing to add in soups or sauces, especially if you don't have a garden. Over here some canned goods have an expiring date of one to two years.

All goods, especially canned goods do not expire at the date given. It's just a best by date that the manufacturer says the food will be at its best quality. Everything lasts much longer if properly stored. It also depends on what is canned and the quality of the can and its processing.

Canned meats, I've had good for 6+ years past there date. Breakfast cereals 4+ years past. Vegetables 8+, I've also had Vegetables leak less than one year after, they were cheap generic brand of green beans. Most of the cans leaked, it was the poor quality of the can itself.

We bought the bucket supplies since they were good for immediate use.
The Wife picks up stuff like beans and rice at the grocery store as well as other things like salt,sugar,flour, and a shit load of other essentials.
She was adopted by people who grew up during the depression so she gets it. She knows how to can as well as other methods to store food.
I was just commenting on how fast people are realizing that they may be in a world of shit.
We'll keep looking for things that will help us out in the long run no doubt.

It doesn't take a lot of people to empty the shelves. It is not like they are Walmart or Kroger. You can buy a freeze dryer if you want to make at home.

All goods, especially canned goods do not expire at the date given. It's just a best by date that the manufacturer says the food will be at its best quality. Everything lasts much longer if properly stored. It also depends on what is canned and the quality of the can and its processing.

Canned meats, I've had good for 6+ years past there date. Breakfast cereals 4+ years past. Vegetables 8+, I've also had Vegetables leak less than one year after, they were cheap generic brand of green beans. Most of the cans leaked, it was the poor quality of the can itself.

That's right. You can do a decent job prepping without all the crazy priced 'prepper chow' they sell. If you want a mix OK. But the old timers had to make due with no Patriot Supply and UPS.

roof construction 1890.jpg

She's bought a bunch of freeze dried veggies and fruit so we can dress up some of the bucket foods.
I asked Her the other day how we were doing on TP and PT.....
My jaw hit the floor when she said we have 545 rolls of TP and 350 rolls of PT.

That's right. You can do a decent job prepping without all the crazy priced 'prepper chow' they sell. If you want a mix OK. But the old timers had to make due with no Patriot Supply and UPS.

View attachment 16165

Those folks pictured already know how to feed themselves from the land they live on.
The only food shortages would be caused by drought or an extremely long winter...Oh and possibly indians.:p

Latest posts

Back