Island BOL

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

simoncarriere

Reaction score
How would a small island (50-100 acres)!in the middle of lake sound as a BOL. The city owns the island but it could maybe be purchased. Would it be ideal to set up a bunker and storage there ? Any ideas

Depends. Is there water on the island? Is it safe for drinking? What about the soil, is it viable for planting? How defendable is it? How shallow is the water in the lake around the island? Do you plan on livestock of any sort? Is there enough open land for planting all that you need? How is the island affected in winter storms? Does it offer any sheltered spots?

There's a lot to take in consideration the water is fairly deep I'd say around 30m deep 100 m away from the closes land. It is mostly wood on the island but. There is a small clearing. I would build a small cabin with a cement/steel/train container as a bunker. I would also put a couple of solar panels. I'd like to have a couple of chickens and plant a garden. The water is also full of fish. I would consider building a electric fence around it to keep others away and a security camera.

I tested out the distance and its a 20min jog 5 min bike 2 min car ride

How many others do you think might be thinking the same thing about that island? I'm not trying to say it's a bad idea, just make sure you're looking at all angles good and bad. Islands can be good if you can feasibly support yourself and whatever you have with you. They can also be death traps because you can be waited out, much like an opposing force would camp outside a castle's walls and just wait for the people to slowly starve.

I understand where your coming from, can't take any chances. What would be other good BOL locations

For me, I'm in and around farmland/woods/bluffs. Extremely rural. I'd try to find a spot where you can provide shelter and sustenance for yourself and family/friends. It's hard living rural because unless you are able to work from home or raise cash crops and have the money on hand, you'll need to commute for work most likely.

How many others do you think might be thinking the same thing about that island? I'm not trying to say it's a bad idea, just make sure you're looking at all angles good and bad. Islands can be good if you can feasibly support yourself and whatever you have with you. They can also be death traps because you can be waited out, much like an opposing force would camp outside a castle's walls and just wait for the people to slowly starve.

I have multiple BOL's, some including islands... I shouldn't give out ALL my BOL's... sort of defeats the purpose but I live on a Long Lake.. (pun) and there are islands out there that are fairly secluded.

There are others... More of a kayak stop over stop in case of massive forest fire.
https://maps.google.ca/maps?saddr=4...FbPN8wIdJVLT-g;FUHD8wIdxhHT-g&t=h&mra=ls&z=11

I understand where your coming from, can't take any chances. What would be other good BOL locations
IMO the type of bugout depends on the type of situation you are trying to get away from.

1. Family and Friends places, remote locations, places with lots of food, lots of growing potential etc...

I'm with Anorak on this, an island is as much a trap as it is a sanctuary, what is your route of escape if people start paddling across from multiple angles, add to this that they are paddling in small boats, in teams and are somewhat armed half starved and desperate.

Got water mines?

There's is over 5400 lakes in my province In about 60 000km2 so there's a lot of lake and most of them have some islands. I might try to find a more remote lake and I've spotted one. Although!!! Any kind of BOL will have these same dangers you are saying, prepping is all about being ready to be able to face these different problems and ready ready for them

Houseboat set up with mounted machine guns?

Seriously though, it has just as many pros as cons. What if in the middle of winter you have to reach the mainland and your boat/raft/canoe has sunk? on the other hand what if the mainland is swarming with assholes using tracker dogs to locate survivalists, kill them and take thier gear? you would be safe from those assholes as long as you kept a low profile on your island.

It wouldn't be my first choice, but I'd suggest it as a temporary BOL. A place to lay low until things calm down, stock it, enjoy it, if needed, stay low and keep a look out.

Latest posts

Back