Is it possible to make gunpowder for modern firearms post SHTF?

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you can find some Trail Boss, I would suggest stocking up. It can be used in nearly every cartridge, and you don't need loading data. It is formulated to be used like black powder (just fill up the case with powder) You can use powder dippers instead of needing scales and powder measures. For pistols like 45 ACP, Trail Boss loads are near full loads. In bottleneck rifle cartridges, loads are about 1/2 the velocity of full loads. It is especially good for cast bullet loads, but can be used with jacketed bullets too.

Here is IMR's loading guide for Trail Boss:

http://www.imrpowder.com/PDF/Trail-Boss-data.pdf

Here is IMR's loading guide for Trail Boss:
Great information! Thanks

Having a caliber that can be reloaded with blackpowder is an option. Ie: 30/30, or the trusty standby 12 gauge.

Yes blackpowder isn't that hard to make, I have done it before. In fact, I recommend any hardcore prepper to at least learn the skill. However, there are components that make this idea of making your own when all supplies have run out, complex.

The main ingredient saltpeter seems easy enough, but it is a complex almost forgotten art.

Then we get to primers, there is no easy DIY way to reload primers. I saw a YouTube once where some guy was reusing them using the tips of strike anywhere matches. It's hard enough to find strike anywhere matches nowadays, yet alone when supplies run out.

Then there's cap and ball. I am a big fan of cap and ball revolvers, I have a collection of them. The bottleneck here is once again the caps. Forster used to make a tool for making your own using a pop can and toy gun caps. Been looking for one for a few years and they just can't be purchased anymore. But even then, what about when the supply of caps run out?

Chemically you can make your own percussion sensitive compounds, but once again you have to have the chemicals, Not to mention the expertise that you don't blow your fingers off.

The reality of the situation is that when it comes to firearms, it is a supply driven weak link.

Stocking enough ammunition and components is the only viable option. IMO.

As mentioned, the biggest prep for a long term end of the world scenario is a bow or at least the knowledge.

Unless you're getting into some major firefights, I think most preppers simply adopt the stockpiling plan. If we need to use more than 1000 rounds of ammo per weapon, I think we've really done something pretty wrong. Of course, that won't keep me from wanting at least 5000 rounds per weapon, but still....

I'm fine with the idea of a bow as a backup, but as a primary, against firearm-armed foes? Well, no...that didn't work so hot for the American Indians....now did it? Same for any bow-primary preppers I'd imagine....

Latest posts

Back