IoT

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MNwr786

Demi-God
Reaction score
Internet of Things just went live at our house. A little back story... I have a Dakota Alert MURS driveway alarm (one of those long range wireless motion sensors) about 1/2 mile away. I use a baofeng to receive the alarm. As everyone knows, the baofeng has dual receive and the second VFO was, for some reason, set to 433.xxx MHz. All has been quiet on my baofeng aside from the driveway alarm ~ until last night. Last night my phone did an update, and ever since, that baofeng has been squawking as the bluetooth signals pass the frequency set on the baofeng opening the squelch for a brief moment. All our devices have their bluetooth off, yet, their bluetooth radios seem to be doing some serious talking!

IoT lasted less than a day at our house...until I caught it eavesdropping on me FROM TWO ROOMS AWAY and misunderstood something I said and then tried to take an action based on what it thought I said.
This is a very common problem with IoT. Your phone that you're talking to completely ignores you but the Alexa a couple rooms away decides it hears you. . . but hears something completely different than you actually said.

Like maybe something like this:

You: Hey Siri, give me an update on the forest fire
Siri (on your phone in your hand):
You: I said, hey Siri, give me an update on the forest fire
Alexa (in the back bedroom): Did you say to start a fire? (House bursts into flames)

Latest posts

Back