Invasive species = food source

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oddcaliber

A True Doomsday Prepper
Reaction score
Been watching a lot of videos about people in Florida trying to reduce the population of iguanas. There's plenty of them! Up side is you can eat them. Referred to as the chicken of the trees in Florida they breed fast and get big. Another problem is the Lion Fish. Divers routinely spear fish for them. Not that hard to find, there everywhere. Good eating too. Another fish that comes to mind is the Asian Carp. They have been spreading into lakes and rivers throughout the country. Easy to catch and quiet tasty. The elite can't completely control the food supply if you look outside the grocery store.

Last edited:
Good point For protein sources.
From what I have been researching for my area, invasive species are not edible for foraging.
I found a book, for my area. Have it on order.
Woman that wrote it was 40 miles north. Some of that area is different terrain. I know how to forage back east. Time I learned out here. The

What about the python problem you have over there? Ain´t they eatable too?
An area of 1 state.
Safest way to look at it. See what available on your land right now. Know what’s available nearby Land.
I personally see a lot of protein sources. I am trying to expand the horizons with what I can forage here.

An area of 1 state.
Thanks. I didn´t kow the distribution of those snakes.

I am trying to expand the horizons with what I can forage here.
Expand horizons? In regular food sources (by hunting, fishing, planting anything that´s not poison) or adding - in my eyes - unusual species to your plate like worms or grasshoppers?

Hogs are a problem almost every where. Protein sources.
Fairly easy to bait. Which may or not be legal with state laws.
Know how to bait, because in SHTF, everything is fair game.
I look for edibles in my area. I know edibles in the woods back East. I decided I need to learn them in the west.
Learning them in your area is a key to surviving.

I mentioned Hogs cause they are free season game in the 3 states I lived in. Here, I may not be able to bait and may have to have a $25 tag in my hand.
In SHTF, I will not go hungry
I discussed this topics with our local ranger. The hunters who "work" for him know their area and the status quo of the game inside. He mentioned, that there will be a lot of poachers k.i.a. when the hunger reminds the locals to the wild game.

He mentioned, that there will be a lot of poachers k.i.a. when the hunger reminds the locals to the wild game.
There is a "special place" they once used for poachers and other miscreants near the BOL. Of course that was long ago, but I suppose it might live up to its name once again under the right circumstances.
u2KnJPa.jpg

When people get desperate enough, the Donner party comes to mind. They might have other uses for poacher's bodies. Sad, but known to have taken place throughout ancient history and is still practsiced in remote areas of the world. I can't even believe we are having this conversation. Really.

Feed 'em to the hogs...circle of life and all of that.

There is a "special place" they once used for poachers and other miscreants near the BOL. Of course that was long ago, but I suppose it might live up to its name once again under the right circumstances.
u2KnJPa.jpg
The "Waste Disposal Units" there have too much free time on their hands. They're ready to get back to work.
vPkn21X.jpg

Latest posts

Back