Introduction

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Welcome. I'm sure you'll find what you need here. If you can't find what you're looking for, ask. We're a friendly bunch.

thank you! it's nice to find an outlet!
Welcome from south La.. You are in the right place to learn. There are alot of us here that have experience in many things. If one of us doesn't know, there will be someone else that has experience in what you are looking for. I've found the most friendly preppers here. Your conditions up there will be different than here in La. but if I can help with some of your questions, JUST ASK.

Awesome! Thanks
The best thing I can tell you about food storage is CAN,CAN,CAN. WE must have at least 800 qts. of canned meat, soup, CAJUN chili, veggies. It is hard to keep milk canned because my wife and daughter drink it as fast as I can get it in the jar. We put our rice, beans, flour, cereal, pasta, COOKIES( a man has to have cookies), candy, dried fruits,ect, in mylar bags. That way air and humidity doesn't get to it to spoil them. I opened a can of homemade turkey & veggie soup and a can of milk I had canned 2yrs. ago. They were as good as when we canned them. We have really put our pressure canner to use. I will try to can butter next. You can go to youtube and type in home canning. You can get instructions on canning almost anything. My wife, daughter and I all have our bugout bags ready. we carry different things in each one. I have an extra BOB just for food. That it besides what we have in our own bags. As cajuns, we were brought up along the bayou(river to you northerners, HAHA) so we will be able to survive in the wild, if we have to bugout of our BOL.

Hey jeepgirl! Good to have you here. Look around, plenty of information on here and we like to have some fun too. If you read the Murphy bit, I apologize, it was late and I confused you with another member. Please forgive me for that one.

Hello,

I'm just looking around for more ideas on bug out bags, medical supplies, and DIY food storage. hope to find good stuff :)
Welcome and thank you for taking time to join Doomsday Prepper Forums.com. Your presence here is much appreciated. We look forward to your posts, and hope you enjoy the community!

Should you have any questions or need help with anything feel free to ask. The members on here are more than willing to help!
We have many threads on those specific topics!

Thank you again for taking the time to join Doomsday Prepper Forums.com!

The best thing I can tell you about food storage is CAN,CAN,CAN. WE must have at least 800 qts. of canned meat, soup, CAJUN chili, veggies. It is hard to keep milk canned because my wife and daughter drink it as fast as I can get it in the jar. We put our rice, beans, flour, cereal, pasta, COOKIES( a man has to have cookies), candy, dried fruits,ect, in mylar bags. That way air and humidity doesn't get to it to spoil them. I opened a can of homemade turkey & veggie soup and a can of milk I had canned 2yrs. ago. They were as good as when we canned them. We have really put our pressure canner to use. I will try to can butter next. You can go to youtube and type in home canning. You can get instructions on canning almost anything. My wife, daughter and I all have our bugout bags ready. we carry different things in each one. I have an extra BOB just for food. That it besides what we have in our own bags. As cajuns, we were brought up along the bayou(river to you northerners, HAHA) so we will be able to survive in the wild, if we have to bugout of our BOL.

I've never canned anything in my life but I have been looking into it..I like the idea of learning something new that benefits my family.

Canning isn't hard, just takes a little money to start up. And time, it takes time. If you can anything low acid, like green beans or meat, make sure you use a pressure canner, not a pressure cooker. I've seen people do that and end up sick from the results.

old_anorak is right when he said that canning isn't hard. If you are like me, once you start, you won't want to stop. I bought a pressure canner on line for $69.00 on e-bay and have used the hell out of it. My daughter said that I would can her if she would fit in a jar. HaHa. When you buy a canner, just follow the instructions and you will be fine. Most of the things you will cann will be at 11lbs. pressure for 40 to 90min. Just make sure to heat your lids to get a good seal. We have stored over 800qts. of food. I guess the best thing is knowing that when TSHTF my family won't have to dig in someones trash to find food and we won't have to kill anyone else to eat. It will really be bad when it hits. Some people have no idea of what it will be like. Alot of people have their head up their a*# and are not listening to what is going on. They say "it can't happen here". Well, during the great depression, people were dying by the thousands because of no food. It will be worst this time because of society. In the old days people helped eachother. Now with society the way it is, people will be killing eachother for a can of soup. It is good to know that we have this site and have all the people here to help eachother. I will fight to the death to keep my family safe and fed when TSHTF. As for medical supplies, stock pile all you can. When it hits, there won't be Drs. that everyone can run to. We will have to take care of ourselves. If you can find books on home remedies, that would be great. BOB, we have one for every member of our family. You can start with one and get it packed and then start on another one. The first BOB pack with the most necessary things you will need for survival and go from there. Good luck.

yea, I'm working on all of those things...my concern right now is food and using different techniques to store in case we have to leave the house. I'm going to do it. I just bought 4 mess kits for my bags for myself and children, the dehydrator will be here Friday, and the canning is next! It's really interesting when you look around this country and realize how many people do not know the basics for survival and like you said, if they are willing to kill for no reason today..what do you think they will do when they are starving. I will post again when I get everything going especially if I have questions.

Thank you!
I know it is alot to think of all at one time. Seems like you don't know which way to turn. Not long after I started prepping, I had so many things going at the same time that I didn't know if should scratch my watch or wind my ###.LOL. So, I started to set my priorities. We have our food supply pretty much ready and my water system is about finished. Im now working more on getting my BOL secure. We have a safe room in the back house that I will put 1/2" steel plates on all the walls. There will be no doors or windows. I have a hatch door in the floor. That way we can get in and out without anyone seeing. Glad to see that you are in the mindset of really getting ready and not just playing. You will find most of the people here are not playing survival, they are living it. If you need any help anytime, just ask. You will enjoy your dehyderator. After we dehydrate anything we vaccum seal it. Works great.

Thanks! I'm looking into the vacuum sealer now. It is a lot to think about but when you know it's necessary, it starts to become second nature.

Thanks! I'm looking into the vacuum sealer now. It is a lot to think about but when you know it's necessary, it starts to become second nature.
Thats right. I don't think about it anymore I just do it. It has become a habit. I was preppering hard until lately. They brought me out of retirement to build a church. So that will be taking up alot of my time. There is no way I will stop prepping. Just have to slow down. Hope we can help you here. As for vaccum sealers, we have worn out two so for. the third is about to go out. We have alot sealed. Things stay fresh alot longer.

Yea, I'm working on a project to bring an alternative food pack idea that doesn't taste like poo and will keep for quite some time. My daughter has a severe nut allergy and I can't get these freeze dried companies to answer me and guarantee the food was not processed on the same equipment...plus that stuff is expensive!

We don't hardly buy anything preprossesed. We like to can or dehydrate our own stuff. that way we know what is in it and it is alot more healthy. There is so much s%#t in prossesed foods that we would never eat if we knew it was there. Well, you'll have a great night. Be back in the morning. Us old folks need our rest. LOL

Latest posts

Back