Introduction

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yea, I'm working on a project to bring an alternative food pack idea that doesn't taste like poo and will keep for quite some time. My daughter has a severe nut allergy and I can't get these freeze dried companies to answer me and guarantee the food was not processed on the same equipment...plus that stuff is expensive!
Just got home. Just wanted to say that you are on the right track. It's good to see that you are willing to do anything you have to make it through when TSHTF. I have alot of things that I can help you with. I can tell you the good things I did that worked and the things that diden't. I will try to keep you from making some of the mistakes I made. I will try to get back to you tomorrow. Have a good night.

Just got home. Just wanted to say that you are on the right track. It's good to see that you are willing to do anything you have to make it through when TSHTF. I have alot of things that I can help you with. I can tell you the good things I did that worked and the things that diden't. I will try to keep you from making some of the mistakes I made. I will try to get back to you tomorrow. Have a good night.

ok, sounds good!

So, I've made single serving meals..nothing extravagant, in mylar pouches and they should be good between 3-5 years. I figure they are good for the B.O.B., camping trips, and even when the kids need something...kind of my twist on a MRE that is healthy,nut free, and doesn't taste weird or slightly off.

So, I've made single serving meals..nothing extravagant, in mylar pouches and they should be good between 3-5 years. I figure they are good for the B.O.B., camping trips, and even when the kids need something...kind of my twist on a MRE that is healthy,nut free, and doesn't taste weird or slightly off.
Hello Jeepgirl I hate to sound stupid but I'm a greenhorn at this.... What are mylar pouches and how do they work? Also where can I find them?

it's not stupid..if you don't ask...you don't know. I just found this link to give you a more detailed answer..I use the gallon bags and cut them in half and 1/4's for what I need. You can use an iron (I have a sealer) but used to use an iron and it works fine. This place has oxygen absorbers too..basically it will store your food is a smaller capacity other than plastic or glass. I prefer it because of the space saving. I'm running out of room and I don't want to carry a bunch of glass jars. You have to still keep your bags in cool, dry, dark place to extend the life but you can use them in 5 gallon buckets as well to host a larger amount of food. We do both but I don't like the idea of opening a huge bucket and you have to use it up...we try to combine a lot of things instead of just one..most place that sell the freeze dried stuff give you huge cans and buckets...I don't know about you but I don't want to eat chicken and rice for 2 weeks straight.
https://www.usaemergencysupply.com/emergency_supplies/mylar_food_storage_bags.htm

it's not stupid..if you don't ask...you don't know. I just found this link to give you a more detailed answer..I use the gallon bags and cut them in half and 1/4's for what I need. You can use an iron (I have a sealer) but used to use an iron and it works fine. This place has oxygen absorbers too..basically it will store your food is a smaller capacity other than plastic or glass. I prefer it because of the space saving. I'm running out of room and I don't want to carry a bunch of glass jars. You have to still keep your bags in cool, dry, dark place to extend the life but you can use them in 5 gallon buckets as well to host a larger amount of food. We do both but I don't like the idea of opening a huge bucket and you have to use it up...we try to combine a lot of things instead of just one..most place that sell the freeze dried stuff give you huge cans and buckets...I don't know about you but I don't want to eat chicken and rice for 2 weeks straight.
https://www.usaemergencysupply.com/emergency_supplies/mylar_food_storage_bags.htm
Thank you so much for the information jeepgirl. I'll check the site out. It sounds to me like this would be a better storage method then glass jars. I've got to get going on my food preps right away to amass a years supply which is what I want to have.

Well I'm glad I asked cause I would have probably cooked it. I told you I need all the help I can get. Thanks I'm sure your probably thinking damn she's stupid. LOL I am when it comes to all of this. I'm as green as they come I'm sorry to say but I am.
To jeepgirl and junebug818. I for one don't think you'll are stupid. I think it takes a smart woman to start prepping like you'll are. The mylar bags are the best thing for storing just about any dry food there is. I have rice, beans, cereal, pasta, flour, seasonings, pancake mix, candy,. cookies, ritz crackers, and a whole lot of other stuff in mylar bags. Junebug, to learn about hot to use mylar bags go to youtube and type in storage in mylar bags. There many on there thay will show you just how to use them. Jeepgirl, I use hand warmers as oxygen absorbers. I find they work better and are cheaper. Use them just like the reg. oxygen absorbers. I found a shit load at Wal Mart after the winter for hardly nothing on clearence. And to seal the bags I use a womens hair straightener I got for a garage sale for $2.00. I bought 3. Just in case one went out. I use a vaccum cleaner to get the air out of the big bags and a straw to suck out the air from small bags. You can find alot of info on youtube. The videos shows you step by step how to do anything. Just go to youtube abd type in what you are looikng for and there will be tons of videos. The only thing I haven't tried is butter and shrimp. We have about 250lbs. of shrimp in the freezer(beings we live close to the gulf). Im just affraid to mess up my good shrimp. Anyway I will try. Let you know how it works. Also if you store water for a long period, I would use Pool Shock instead of bleach. It doesn't have all the harmful chemicals that bleach has. I tried water I stored 1 1/2 yrs ago and it was still good(didn't get sick). I will be changing my supply every 2yrs. just to be safe. The whole under of my house is full of 5gal. containers. I keep them there so the sunlight doesn't get to them and they stay cool.

To jeepgirl and junebug818. I for one don't think you'll are stupid. I think it takes a smart woman to start prepping like you'll are. The mylar bags are the best thing for storing just about any dry food there is. I have rice, beans, cereal, pasta, flour, seasonings, pancake mix, candy,. cookies, ritz crackers, and a whole lot of other stuff in mylar bags. Junebug, to learn about hot to use mylar bags go to youtube and type in storage in mylar bags. There many on there thay will show you just how to use them. Jeepgirl, I use hand warmers as oxygen absorbers. I find they work better and are cheaper. Use them just like the reg. oxygen absorbers. I found a shit load at Wal Mart after the winter for hardly nothing on clearence. And to seal the bags I use a womens hair straightener I got for a garage sale for $2.00. I bought 3. Just in case one went out. I use a vaccum cleaner to get the air out of the big bags and a straw to suck out the air from small bags. You can find alot of info on youtube. The videos shows you step by step how to do anything. Just go to youtube abd type in what you are looikng for and there will be tons of videos. The only thing I haven't tried is butter and shrimp. We have about 250lbs. of shrimp in the freezer(beings we live close to the gulf). Im just affraid to mess up my good shrimp. Anyway I will try. Let you know how it works. Also if you store water for a long period, I would use Pool Shock instead of bleach. It doesn't have all the harmful chemicals that bleach has. I tried water I stored 1 1/2 yrs ago and it was still good(didn't get sick). I will be changing my supply every 2yrs. just to be safe. The whole under of my house is full of 5gal. containers. I keep them there so the sunlight doesn't get to them and they stay cool.
Thank you Mastercajun for not thinking I'm stupid but I guess I just feel like I am when it comes to prepping. If my husband was still alive maybe I wouldn't feel that way because he could do anything. Being a women alone except when my son comes to visit has shown me I have to be independant and learn to make it on my own now. Not an easy thing to do after 28 years with someone that could do just about anything and made you feel like you could too. But there it is and I will figure this out and make the men folk here proud of what they have contributed to teaching me. Thank you so very much for the ideas and places to find what will help me.

Thank you Mastercajun for not thinking I'm stupid but I guess I just feel like I am when it comes to prepping. If my husband was still alive maybe I wouldn't feel that way because he could do anything. Being a women alone except when my son comes to visit has shown me I have to be independant and learn to make it on my own now. Not an easy thing to do after 28 years with someone that could do just about anything and made you feel like you could too. But there it is and I will figure this out and make the men folk here proud of what they have contributed to teaching me. Thank you so very much for the ideas and places to find what will help me.
You are more than welcome. Im getting to feel like the folks here are like family and I will help my own family as much as I can, So I guess I can do that here as well. I have to applaud you for having the balls(which I know you don't have, just a figure of speech) for prepping like you are doing. It would be nothing for a man, but I think it is wonderful for a woman by herself to do what you are doing. You will have nothing but admiration from me. Just don't quit and you will make it.

You are more than welcome. Im getting to feel like the folks here are like family and I will help my own family as much as I can, So I guess I can do that here as well. I have to applaud you for having the balls(which I know you don't have, just a figure of speech) for prepping like you are doing. It would be nothing for a man, but I think it is wonderful for a woman by herself to do what you are doing. You will have nothing but admiration from me. Just don't quit and you will make it.
junebug, I have stored alot of medical stuff, but not sure I have all the right stuff. Could you tell me what are the more important things to get. I might have no gotten the things I will need when TSHTF. What is the best ointment to store for burns?

I can promise you I will keep it going and never stop. Thanks for the kind words. I did want to ask you something. Do you think it would be a good idea to find someone here in my area that is a prepper and maybe see if we could do work on it together and if we had to bug out do it as a group especially since I'm pretty much on my own?

junebug, I have stored alot of medical stuff, but not sure I have all the right stuff. Could you tell me what are the more important things to get. I might have no gotten the things I will need when TSHTF. What is the best ointment to store for burns?
Steri strips to hold cuts together without suturing. Suture kits if you can get them and know how to suture. Peroxide,rubbing alcohol, ointment that is not petroleum based for burns, I've even bought Lani cane ointment because it help numb the area. Sterile 4x4's , waterproof bandage tape, bandaides, sterile kling, ace wraps different sizes. Sterile saline bottles. Gosh there is so much more. I highly recommend getting a First Aide Treatment Book. They actually have burn ointments so yes pick some up. The most important thing with a burn is to keep it clean and dry and covered.

I can promise you I will keep it going and never stop. Thanks for the kind words. I did want to ask you something. Do you think it would be a good idea to find someone here in my area that is a prepper and maybe see if we could do work on it together and if we had to bug out do it as a group especially since I'm pretty much on my own?
That is a great idea. Only watch who you tell you are prepping. It would so much easier if you could find others to prep with you. I worry about people that tell everyone they meet that they are prepping. If you have a sporting goods store like Academy near you, just go and walk around the ammo section and listen to the others talk. You will hear someone say The government will take all our guns or I can't find any ammo anywhere or something to that effect. Then you can bet they are prepping. That's the ones you want to talk to. I have met 6 other preppers around my area at Academy. All you have to say is "looks like you are getting ready for when TSHTF. You will find out right quick if they are preppers. It is also good to have someone else to help you prep because you can exchange ideas. Just be careful.

Latest posts

Back