internet

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Prepped123

Reaction score
in my remote location if an financial calapes would satalite be good for internet or would it have shut down due to large power outage.

good queston..but the only way i see no internet after a financial calapes is if satilites calapes as well

Well, the internet depends on multiple servers... so if those servers go down then even though you have a way to connect to "the internet"... it might not be there (at least as we know it now).

If you are truly worried, get yourself your own server connected to satellite internet. As long as you can produce your own power you can have anything on your server. Those that can connect to the internet can access your server as well. It could be an awesome idea to have a database of survival knowledge on a home based server.

Please chime in if my knowledge of servers and satellites is way off!

I have started to store some maps and several survival docs from the Internet to my home drive for later print them out on paper. But is it realistic to be able to produce power enough to run a computer/server? I have kind of taken it for granted that it is not possible.

I have started to store some maps and several survival docs from the Internet to my home drive for later print them out on paper. But is it realistic to be able to produce power enough to run a computer/server? I have kind of taken it for granted that it is not possible.
how about printing the maps before hand just to have as a back up. redundancy.

Always try to have a black and white copy of whatever you want to save. If you are like me, it's alot of information and will cost a small fortune in ink to print out all at once. Also, if power outages happen with no heads up, you are screwed unless you produce your own electricity. I have been keeping a "notebook" for years now. Gardening, Canning, Dehydrating, Hunting, Trapping, etc.

I know they make some hand-crank generators http://www.prestowind.com/.
On_Sale_Crank-a-Watt_TM_Hand_Crank_Generators_On_Sale_Crank-a-Watt_TM_Deluxe_400_Watt_Bike_and_Hand.jpg

I think it would be prudent to print things up in advance.

I read one place (God only knows where) that it would be a good idea to one day surprise everyone and just shut off the power and see how everyone functions (personally, I wouldn't say anything to them ... just act surprised... I have a 13 year old son so most of the things I do are stupid and by me not telling them I shut the power off would avoid a lot of conflict).

Will of course have it on paper sooner or later. Prefer sooner... But I had no clue that it is possible to create own power. This I need to look more into.

A generator spun at 1500 RPMs will make 50 hrz electricity. Same as international 220 as it is called. Up the rpms to 1800 to make standard american 60 hertz 110 or 220 as we call it. A car alternator( preferably like GM uses with a built in voltage regulator) would make 12 volt electricity and many things are 12 volt compatible to enable them to be used in automobiles. Any means you can spin the alternator to keep a 12 volt battery charged will work.

A fan belt on a pulley with a hand wheel. Maybe a bicycle rigged to an alternator would be much more efficient. But the photo early in the thread pretty much looked like the alternator rig you are talking about

i like the bicycle alternator idea.on acount it means 2 things electricity and exercise..but if i figure right.a powerfull alternator that can produce quiet a bit electric would be needed.

Manual power is almost always imagined to be much easier than it actually is. Try one of those hand crank radios or a motion powered flashlight. Its a lot more work than you think. Also when the shtf, you will find a lot of ways to cut consumption way back. Maybe a small windmill driving an alternator and battery bank will provide you with your energy needs. Also remember that compressors and heating elements consume much more electrical power than most items around the house. You can probably run 40 light bulbs on less electricity than a normal air conditioner. Water heaters, stoves , clothes dryers and refrigeration probably account for 90+ % of most peoples electrical usage. Maybe we can evaluate what we actually need, then while we still have all our conveniences , we could make our preps accordingly. Like while we still have welding machines and lathes.
Also consider portable engines....by that I mean horses. My Mennonite friends use them for everything from grinding corn meal, pumping water, powering washing machines, to pulling plows and wagons..They rig large treadmills like people exercise on to put the horse on to power all sorts of contraptions. Any how ....the easy fix is to cut consumption. Just me guessing ...but ...the average family 80 years ago used probably used 10% of the energy that a family today uses, with two e as many people in a house. All the insulation in the world won't make up for wastefulness. We are a society of consumers. We don't want to be ...but... in reality WE are

The Bicycle alternator sounds real good , a two fold machine , first it produces electricity when you pedal and you get exercise as well

Solar or wind power would be a good idea. Thinking of converting to solar power myself.

I like where your heads at, solar is the way to go, the thing with wind is that it has a lot of moving parts and can break down at anytime, solar has no moving parts and can last up to 50 yrs or longer with no maintenance, I can give you all the info you need on that if you would like!

Latest posts

Back