Inexpensive firplace

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DavyRocket

Reaction score
I have been racking my brain at times trying to come up with an inexpensive, easy to build fireplace. Then it hit me. Using a 55 gallon drum. The top already has the hole for the smoke stack. All I would need to do basically is cut a good size hole on the side for the door, and to put the wood in, and setup some kind of shelf to put the wood on, so the fire would be more center than at the bottom. Not only that, it would be mobile as well. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Hey Dave,how big of an area are you looking to heat?We picked up a couple of these on amazon for under $50.Took the pipe to a muffler shop and had them make two 90deg bends in a piece of muffler pipe (to go out and up to vent for something like through an opened window or out of a tent) for $20 bucks,put some sand in the bottom under the grate to help insulate the metal and make it last longer.Plus it unfolds to flat top for cooking,boiling water,etc.Works pretty decent although I have only burned in them outside so far (would definitely use sheet rock or something under it for indoor use.)

http://www.amazon.com/Portable-Mili...TF8&qid=1383045918&sr=8-3&keywords=wood+stove

It would heat a 14x70 area inside. I can probably build it all myself much cheaper than $70.00. It would also be used for cooking as well.

For that big of an area,yeah you'd probably be better off with a 55g drum and grate,but you're gonna have $70 in venting material if buying new? Stovepipe,elbows,wall thimbles/roof boots,damper,etc adds up quick.

If you are talking about using the screw cap/bung cap hole,it wouldn't be large enough diameter to vent that big of a stove,which would smoke you right out of your home (assuming this is what you are talking about doing).Not trying to be a Debbie downer,just worked in the heating/ac field for a long time and am familiar with cost.

If talking about fabricating something yourself (something basic like the woodstoves you seen on M.A.S.H),then my only suggestion would be to add sand/fire brick in the bottom for a heat shield to increase the stove life .

Well right now, I am just juggling in my mind some idea's just in case we all lose power. Luckily it does not get all that cold down here, some winter days it does, but not consistent. Being from Texas.. I do not like to be cold for very long.

Latest posts

Back