Inexpensive fighting knife project!!!!

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It really isn't my style of knife, but I do like the looks of it and the size. I think it would be a great thrower. When I was younger I ruined many knives that weren't meant to be thrown.
Maybe it would be nice to own a knife that is actually meant to be thrown..... For that price I could get a couple.

Here's two that I've done so far..

IMG_4491a.jpg
IMG_4492a.jpg
IMG_6234a.jpg
IMG_6240a.jpg

On the sheath...

Do the belts loop clip on? Or do you have to thread the belt through?

What are the three black lines on the sheath? Black tape? Bands of some sort?

What rivet press are you using, are those one piece tube rivets, or two piece rivets? Because they have a nice small roll and no splitting. What thickness is the kydex, what kydex press are you using, and what are you using to heat the kydex?

Do you make a wooden or aluminum handle blank for the forming process? Or do you just heat the Garolite/G10/canvas micarta handle material as you form the sheath?

The first knife at the top, I can see no pins... are you using concealed pins? Or is the handle in place with only an adhesive?

On the knife...

Do you prefer the recurve blade and clip point for a fighting knife? Almost a recurve edge bowie...

I had a Cold Steel Kukri machete for a while, but I found it hard to sharpen the recurve edge, and I didn't like the draw from the sheath.

What purpose does the jimping on the blade serve? Decorative? Or grip traction for a certain hold?

Thoughts on that lower back sidedraw sheath? Workable in a car? Ever have problems getting it caught on things when moving around?

Lol Squirtgunner I’m starting to feel stalked.
#1 the belt loops both clip and slide through. Either or.
#2 the bands are Ranger bands. Lol
#3 I got the press from harbor freight and the rivets are one piece. The Kydex is .8, I made the kydex press and the oven is a large capacity toaster oven.
#4 I mold the knife directly. I found that molds always throw the sheath off a bit.
#5 The client requested no pins regardless of my advice. Yes it’s epoxy’d on and that’s it. 3000 pnd epoxy gorilla glue.

On the knife
#1 the recurve is a better blade for slashing than a non recurve. Like a kukri. How ever I’ve found that the points don’t stab as well. This one does with its clip/Bowie point.
#2 most don’t like the draw of a kukri. It’s awkward, however with the right sheath and practice the only thing is putting it back in that can be less than easy.
#3 the jimping is for grip and blade on blade work and decorative depending on your level of knife on knife experience.
#4 scout carry is the most comfortable carry I have experienced. Depending on the car seat it’s fine. Bench seats it’s great. Bucket not so much on this specific knife but that’s why I made the clips the way I do. You can pop it off simple enough. I’ve found with kydex sheaths that side of the leg is only good for car travel. Outside of that side of leg requires a lot of strapping for a sheath this size. On the hip doesn’t work cause usually that’s where the pew pew is. Cross draw could work but it can get in the way on a knife this size. Very rarely do I get hung up with scout carry but I’ve adjusted to it. If your new to it you’ll get snagged a lot. Lol

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back