Indoor growing?

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As i've stated before, we live in a duplex type home, and while we have a HUGE backyard, we share it with others and being that we are in Ohio, it's flippin cold right now and I'd like to be able to grow indoors so that I can grow year round....any one else have any suggestions for foods that I can grow inside without taking up too much room? I've heard that you can grow potatoes in a barrell and I love me some taters lol I am open to growing anything, even though I am a picky eater, I am willing to eat anything if starving. In the summer, I think that I could get away with a small above ground garden so that I don't have to dig up my landlords yard. Any suggestions are welcome! Thanks everyone!

Your problem will be dry indoor air and lack of enough sunlight for veggies. Potatoes are so cheap they're not worth growing. They also need a lot of sun and a broad vessel to grow in as the roots and spuds spread out. If you really want to try gardening you may want to think about renting (or buying) a house with a back yard.

I just added a 24 inch grow light and I am about to add 3 more viggies to my crops. I just ordered the seeds for watermelon, strawberries, and broccoli for my indoor garden too.... I wanted to ensure that I ordered heirloom seeds this time rather than just buying organic... all of my plants are doing well at this time!

These veggies need sunlight and plenty of it. A 24" growlight is OK for a few shade plants such as ivy, philodendrons and other jungle floor plants. Before buying more seeds, look up the conditions the plant needs for growing. Broccoli needs very cool weather and gets tall. Watermelon is a huge plant that can take up many many feet around it. Google the veggies you're interested in or invest in a good gardening book. :)

You can get a lot of tomatoes off one plant. Something is better than nothing.

Tomatoes wont thrive indoors and the special tom's for greenhouse growing aren't sold as seeds in the local stores. If you could find them, you would need more than a sunny window. And in winter, days are too short to grow them.

Looking into hydroponic retailers is a great idea! They sell easy setup tents, lights, fans, filters, etc. they may also sell a complete setup so you don't have to do the research. I prefer hydroponic fruits and vegetables over outdoor grown.

I grow peppers and tomatoes indoors, biggest thing i can add is use grow lights like the weed growers do and have it on a timer. Herbs and vegis are pretty easy but with tomatoes and peppers you have to regulate the light or they will never flower and when they do flower you have to do the work that bee's would normaly do polinating with a paint brush or Qtip or the flowers will never turn into fruit.

I do a lot of companion container gardening. I have cilantro, lemon basil and oregano going in one container. I have various other containers going with things like lettuce, tomatoes/basil, spinach, etc.... I plant things that are visually nice and that I can use continually when I cut them back. I find the companion container gardening to be the most beneficial as you can get decent use out of a set amount of space.

Yesterday I wa told of a potatoe bag. It sounds like a 50lb dog food bag. It was described that it is like a tarp, but not. That was the only think I could think of without seeing it. It is then filled with a 5 lb bag of doill. I was told that 1 potatoe, (cut up with 1 eye per piece) could suplly up to 7 lbs potatoes/ I haven't done this and sceptical. I live in the south, so would love to know the outcome, since I have never gotten that much yield in my in ground harvest.

I have started everything from tomatoes and summer squash to apple and peach treas in my soda bottle greenhouses. Once it gets warmer out i either transplant them outside or I cut the top of the bottle and take them out during the day.

http://www.instructables.com/id/Ghetto-Greenhouse:Seed-Starter/

Another great indoor planting idea is a hanging herb and tomato garden. For these i use a milk jug and cut a 2 inch hole in the bottom of the jug and cut out the top of the jug (leaving the handle 100% intact) then I plant the started tomato plant upside down in the 2 inch hole on the bottom and on the top I plant an herb I use suction hooks on my windows to hang them. works great until its warm enough to put them outside!! Ill take pictures of mine this year and try and do a journal.

I have started everything from tomatoes and summer squash to apple and peach treas in my soda bottle greenhouses. Once it gets warmer out i either transplant them outside or I cut the top of the bottle and take them out during the day.

http://www.instructables.com/id/Ghetto-Greenhouse:Seed-Starter/

Another great indoor planting idea is a hanging herb and tomato garden. For these i use a milk jug and cut a 2 inch hole in the bottom of the jug and cut out the top of the jug (leaving the handle 100% intact) then I plant the started tomato plant upside down in the 2 inch hole on the bottom and on the top I plant an herb I use suction hooks on my windows to hang them. works great until its warm enough to put them outside!! Ill take pictures of mine this year and try and do a journal.
If you need seeds check out our newest forums sponsor My Seed Cellar

Just and FYI. . a friend of mine used 'potatoe bags' for their potatoe seeds. (It sounds like a 50 lb bag of doog food, folded down). It is filled with some soil, potatoe seed planted and while it grows, fill in the bag with more soil. She says that 1 potatoe will turn into 7 lbs. Don't know what her out come is yet, but thought I would pass it along

As i've stated before, we live in a duplex type home, and while we have a HUGE backyard, we share it with others and being that we are in Ohio, it's flippin cold right now and I'd like to be able to grow indoors so that I can grow year round....any one else have any suggestions for foods that I can grow inside without taking up too much room? I've heard that you can grow potatoes in a barrell and I love me some taters lol I am open to growing anything, even though I am a picky eater, I am willing to eat anything if starving. In the summer, I think that I could get away with a small above ground garden so that I don't have to dig up my landlords yard. Any suggestions are welcome! Thanks everyone!

There are many items that you can grow in container for a porch if you have one or an entrance. Tomatoes and peppers always do well. I have had a couple friends who did watermelon, squash, zucchini, and herbs in pots with a good outcome. And herbs will grow in a windowsill if you don't have a porch. If there is a will, there will always be a way. If I have green onions, I will use them until they are about 2 inches to the root. Just stick them into the ground (or pot soil) and they will reproduce.

My brother grows veggies via Hydroponics and he said its a good way to go and pretty cheap. Google for the directions and get creative on different ways you can assemble your water proof containers. :)

Check into LED grow lights. There are DIY kits on eBay for around $45 I looked into them a while back but I'm still expanding my garden outdoors. The different colors of red, blue, and white are for different applications so do your homework before you buy.

Looking into hydroponic retailers is a great idea! They sell easy setup tents, lights, fans, filters, etc. they may also sell a complete setup so you don't have to do the research. I prefer hydroponic fruits and vegetables over outdoor grown.

The fans and lights and pumps wont work after TSHTF. :( What veggies and fruit have you grown hydroponically or are you just buying them at this point? Those I tried some years ago didn't have the full taste of food grown naturally in the ground, in the fresh air and in the sunlight.

My brother grows veggies via Hydroponics and he said its a good way to go and pretty cheap. Google for the directions and get creative on different ways you can assemble your water proof containers. :)

The prices may have come down since I last looked. A simple setup a few years ago was several hundred dollars. All the equipment would be useless unless you had electricity.

Latest posts

Back