Increasing garden size?

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DirtDiva

A True Doomsday Prepper
Reaction score
I am starting seeds this week and am debating increasing the size of my garden due to recent world events. I like eating fresh as much as possible and not having to hit those preps. Have the space and save seeds for years so seeds on hand. Hate to plant too much because I can't stand to see it go to waste and work myself to death trying to put it all up. But may kick myself if I don't. Any group thoughts? Am I the only one debating this?

I am starting seeds this week and am debating increasing the size of my garden due to recent world events. I like eating fresh as much as possible and not having to hit those preps. Have the space and save seeds for years so seeds on hand. Hate to plant too much because I can't stand to see it go to waste and work myself to death trying to put it all up. But may kick myself if I don't. Any group thoughts? Am I the only one debating this?
I have produced a lot more than I could eat, even with canning the surplus. My take on home canning is mostly for one year use to spread it out all year. Of course you can go a lot longer than this but it tastes the best in the first year and in theory you should be growing more the next season. As far as any surplus goes most of mine went to a local food bank so I felt nothing was wasted. My time is a lot more precious now that my son talked me into going into business again, so I’m actually cutting back on the garden size. If I was retired I’d probably go all out though. I don’t think there is a right or wrong here as it’s never a bad thing to have too much food, only when you don’t have enough.

A few years ago I joked with my hunny that I needed more garden space. . . I had way more seeds to plant and next thing I knew, I came home from work to a freshly plowed area. . . I can't go any bigger unless I got rid of some of my beloved animals. With that said, I like the fact that I can plant a surplus, just because I can preserve my excess. I have some really good years with some things verses others. Last year I really didn't get to do much of a garden at all because of Hunny and Granny's health issues, but because of my stockroom that holds all my canned goods along with what I have been able to home freeze dry and my dry goods, it has carried us thru the last year and I could easily go thru another. Home canned goods last for years as I am sure you already know being a canner yourself. Honestly I am concerned there maybe a shortage in supplies for other people who may not be prepared. Over in China there was 600 rolls of toilet paper stolen recently out of a truck. . . that is just an example of the start of shortages. Gotta wonder if it wont eventually trickle down to other things. I know that is happening over there, and I never believe in the "It will never happen to us" mentality. If not this than that. . . You just never know what the future holds. I really want to put in my normal size garden this year and I am very hopeful that the 1 surgery will fix my hunny. I will only have to be the sole driveable/workable person here for 4 weeks. . . then life can go back to what it usually is. . . . Again, I am trying to be very hopeful.

A few years ago I joked with my hunny that I needed more garden space. . . I had way more seeds to plant and next thing I knew, I came home from work to a freshly plowed area. . . I can't go any bigger unless I got rid of some of my beloved animals. With that said, I like the fact that I can plant a surplus, just because I can preserve my excess. I have some really good years with some things verses others. Last year I really didn't get to do much of a garden at all because of Hunny and Granny's health issues, but because of my stockroom that holds all my canned goods along with what I have been able to home freeze dry and my dry goods, it has carried us thru the last year and I could easily go thru another. Home canned goods last for years as I am sure you already know being a canner yourself. Honestly I am concerned there maybe a shortage in supplies for other people who may not be prepared. Over in China there was 600 rolls of toilet paper stolen recently out of a truck. . . that is just an example of the start of shortages. Gotta wonder if it wont eventually trickle down to other things. I know that is happening over there, and I never believe in the "It will never happen to us" mentality. If not this than that. . . You just never know what the future holds. I really want to put in my normal size garden this year and I am very hopeful that the 1 surgery will fix my hunny. I will only have to be the sole driveable/workable person here for 4 weeks. . . then life can go back to what it usually is. . . . Again, I am trying to be very hopeful.

Have decided to go ahead and increase both size and amount planted. Although there is no food bank up on the mountain there are several elderly neighbors that we leave goodies for on a regular basis. If nothing else the chickens and ducks will eat good. I have read several of your posts and about your situation with Hunny and Granny and wanted to tell you to hang in there. My husband was ill for 2 years ending in back surgery and then had a heart attack. He was hospitalized 20 times that year. At the same time I was helping to care for his elderly mother. Being a caretaker is rough. This too shall pass though. He eventually got better and unfortunately his mother passed. Take care of yourself. Will keep you and your love ones in my thoughts and prayers. Thanks for the input.

I am putting in a new garden site,,,,it is on a slope so I am going to take rocks and build a wall on the low side I want it around 24 inches high once that is done I will begin putting in the soil then a rock wall on the up hill side leaving both ends open next I will til in saw dust and rabbit litter and let it sit this growing season the saw dust will need time to decompose ,,,,,,,Walmart always has a chit load of top soil left over and it will go for cheap,,,,a few years back it dropped all the way to $1 per bag I will most likely need 100 bags,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,spread it out over the garden spot til it in and next season I should have a near perfect garden spot,,,,,12 ft x 60 or 80 ft

being slightly elevated should keep the rain from flooding it out like my garden a few years back,,,that still ticks me off to think about it

I am putting in a new garden site,,,,it is on a slope so I am going to take rocks and build a wall on the low side I want it around 24 inches high once that is done I will begin putting in the soil then a rock wall on the up hill side leaving both ends open next I will til in saw dust and rabbit litter and let it sit this growing season the saw dust will need time to decompose ,,,,,,,Walmart always has a chit load of top soil left over and it will go for cheap,,,,a few years back it dropped all the way to $1 per bag I will most likely need 100 bags,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,spread it out over the garden spot til it in and next season I should have a near perfect garden spot,,,,,12 ft x 60 or 80 ft

being slightly elevated should keep the rain from flooding it out like my garden a few years back,,,that still ticks me off to think about it

My garden runs down hill as well and I love that I can get in my garden almost right after a rain and never have to wade through mud. We did something similar but used mowed up leaves from the 7 large oak trees and 4 hickory trees in my yard. We bag those up when we mow every fall and mix them with rabbit and horse poo. Added in some wood ash and mushroom compost. Then used wood chips on top dumped by the light company after the last ice storm went through as a layer on top. 3 years later that dirt is some of the best on the place. Really helped that sandy soil.

Peas and Mustard Greens are already up! Still waiting on beets. Planted 6 cabbage plants and planted cabbage seeds for the next round. Also planted lettuce and broccoli seeds. Garlic so far is looking great. Peaches are just starting to open blooms and plums are about half open. 32 degrees at the end of week so hope that doesn't knock them off. Forsythia are blooming and so are the daffodils. By Gosh looks like spring is creeping up on me.

Latest posts

Back