Including your neighbors.....

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jenifer

Reaction score
Ya know..I'm kinda torn on this one...I was watching Doomsday Preppers last night and the "experts" always recommend including your neighbors in your prepper plans. I get the idea of having more people therefore more skills and supplies and resources and such. BUT...then there's the idea of telling your neighbors about your preps in an effort to get them on board...and they just think you're the goofy paranoid type and ignore it. THEN...when the SHTF...guess who knows about YOUR stash and will come looking. Ya know?

Do you guys include your neighbors in on your prepping?

Right...see that seems dangerous to me. I can see the potential benefits but I think the potential risks outweigh the benefits. I live in a neighborhood with allot of those types of people that think their money will always protect them and they'll always have everything they need...cuz they have money. What happens when ur money isn't worth squat? My hunting and gathering and survival skills are going to be worth FAR more than ur money at that point. And I am not willing to have them coming over here looking for food to feed their kids when all of a sudden the grocery stores are empty and they know no other way to get food for themselves. I think I'll just keep it to myself for now. I do kinda wish i could talk to my immediate next door neighbor though. I think he and his wife would be EXCELLENT to have in our corner if the SHTF. Super strong, hard workers.

well you have to vet them, Go and talk to them just general conversation and slowly go into your worries and concerns. test the waters and see where it goes. Just take your time and slowly get the info you want from them if they are not on the same or atleast close to the same page as you let it go if they seem to be or have the potential to be an asset when the SHTF occurs then dont count them out but never disclose your full capability/stock pile. Job and economy are always good ways to lead into SHTF, cuz those are the things that effect everyone and if they seem ignorant of whats going on you might want to leave them be. I have Seven neighbors in my area that are all preppers and we all know it, but we dont discuss it so im interested in seeing what happens here in my neck of the woods..lol

Yeah, I like where ranjen is on this. You don't just walk up and say "I'm a prepper. Wanna be a prepper with me because if you don't and SHTF and you come to me for stuff after I will have to turn you away and maybe shoot you. So what do ya think, wanna?"

If you bring it up logically and in a way that they themselves think about doing it then you got some good allies, and not leeches.

I too am torn on this subject. While it would be benifical to have ppl in your corner come SHTF day, it is also great to have no one know too. The neighbors we have, I wouldn't give them the leftovers off my plate if there were any. They are worthless and to be honest, I would be glad to remove them from society when they came a knocking for a handout from me, or to try to steal our things. They know that we are a military family and I would hope they'd know better than to try anything that stupid, but starving ppl will do anything. I have thought about trying to start a regional group that would meet up occasionally to discuss ideas etc. but it wouldn't be my town only, I would include surrounding areas but atleast they wouldn't be my direct neighbors. It's great to network ya know? Not necessarily trying to put together a new community come SHTF life, but just to network and share ideas, if that makes sense.

I too am torn on this subject. While it would be benifical to have ppl in your corner come SHTF day, it is also great to have no one know too. The neighbors we have, I wouldn't give them the leftovers off my plate if there were any. They are worthless and to be honest, I would be glad to remove them from society when they came a knocking for a handout from me, or to try to steal our things. They know that we are a military family and I would hope they'd know better than to try anything that stupid, but starving ppl will do anything. I have thought about trying to start a regional group that would meet up occasionally to discuss ideas etc. but it wouldn't be my town only, I would include surrounding areas but atleast they wouldn't be my direct neighbors. It's great to network ya know? Not necessarily trying to put together a new community come SHTF life, but just to network and share ideas, if that makes sense.
I don't have an "issue" per say with most of my neighbors. The majority are very nice. (there's always a few tho that could stand some "thinning out"..LOL) They just seem a little like "rich, spoiled people" allot of the time. The type that get real comfortable in the thoughts that their money will always cover their ###. Very nice to hang with but not real "practicle" in survival type situation I think. We have a few hunters in the neighborhood I suppose but still. I think between our hunting skills, weapons, food and water, medicine, etc. coupled with the fact that I am a Nurse and my husband is a mechanical engineer we're probably the "most likely to succeed" on our neck of the woods.

PLUS...if you include other families...you end up having to deal with the men and their need to be the "Alpha male" in everything. The testosterone always gets in the way....LOL

Sorry, neighbors are on their own.
Prepper support groups are a good idea.
BUT, its best to do it online. Don't give your exact location away.
Also another thought, if you use you real photo for an avitar then people in your area could id you and you would not know it.
Just a thought.

You would think people would know better than to mess with military families, but in reality, when the SHTF, people will not be in their right minds.
Defending you and your's will be a reality.
Are you ready to act in defense of self and family?

This weekend I took an all day self-defense course (mainly based around guns... can now get get my Concealed Weapon's Permit). I met several people that were prepping and it was funny that they were prepping much differently from the way I am. They are stockpiling weapons. I told them that I was also stockpiling food. They said ... what good is food when people try to kill you.

My point... maybe it is good to find someone that is prepping in a different way and try to confer with them. Maybe more.

Well here's the beauty of it all if you "vet" your neighbors no one is saying you have to let them know your doing anything to prpare but it is best to know your enemy and know there capabilities. if they are worth there weight then you keep them close but never let them in. if they are pos then you should still test the waters don't make them enemies before the SHTF you have to play it smart. Leaving them out and being rude or negative towards them might just paint a target on your head

This weekend I took an all day self-defense course (mainly based around guns... can now get get my Concealed Weapon's Permit). I met several people that were prepping and it was funny that they were prepping much differently from the way I am. They are stockpiling weapons. I told them that I was also stockpiling food. They said ... what good is food when people try to kill you.

My point... maybe it is good to find someone that is prepping in a different way and try to confer with them. Maybe more.
these weapon nuts are the ones i worry about there mentality is already geared towards fighting and killing, not preparing. it's the marauder mentality there focus will be killing and stealing from the onset. hunger doesn't take long to take over. having enough guns for your crew and ammunition for them aswell as a food storage and stockpile is imho a better way to go

you can stay in place if need be and still stay healthy and focused on your home front able to defend what is yours. you will have the advantage if you play your cards right and prepare in a manner beneficial to you and your's. focus on defending your home stead not leaving it to get your provisions at least not at first. this will come with time

I am never rude to my neighbors, i wave and smile, but I am definately not gonna have them over for a BBQ anytime soon lol I KNOW they aren't worth anything to me, knowledge-wise or anything else. They are lazy, welfare collectors who in the 4 years we've lived here, haven't worked a day yet have the Schwaans man at their door every month and drive a nicer vehicle than we do and we both work. About all they are good for is their foodstamps and I'm assuming those won't be worth much come SHTF lol I am all for bugging in if you can, and if it makes sense for your family. Defend your home if you can and for as long as you can, as I think that 4 walls and a roof are always better than roughing it with kids but it really doesn't make sense for us here in the duplex. We will have to bug out and that stinks but at least i'll finally be rid of the neighbors lol I am most definately willing to defend whats mine and my own. I hear ppl say that women are too emotional when it comes to pulling a trigger...yes that may be the case in some situations, but I know one thing...you even so much as pose a threat to my family and I WILL SHOOT. I have no worries about your family when you obviously have no regard for mine. I like to think that I would never go kicking in doors looking to steal other families preps. I couldn't steal food from a childs mouth, and I can't imagine how anyone else would, but I guess when your child is starving, or you yourself, you will do anything necessary. I plan to meet with others in my region that are interested in learning from eachother, but I most likely wouldn't ever plan to meet up SHTF time. I feel that we will do fine as a family unit. I think the most we will do is meet up with our parents and go from there. They are the only ppl I trust to know about our preps.

I heard an interesting take on this "letting others know" issue the other day I think i agree with it too. the guy said "I am letting people I trust ie..friends family etc... know to do something, to start putting aside food, and getting a weapon or two. But they have said well I guess I know where to go if the SHTF. My reply not if you value your life. If your not willing to do your part don't expect me to help you at the sacrifice of my children. I will not take from my children's mouths to help you when you couldn't even help yourself." I agree with the man it made since too me. why should I put my self out for them? But if they bring something to the table and I mean this literally and figuratively then I will help.

Our closest neighbor is a good woman, her daughter is best friends with our youngest. We've got together for canning, butchering, and whatnot. We have an understanding that our families will be there when we need them to be.

I tend to be a loner by nature, not one of those bastards that dress all in black and wear guy-liner or anythig like that. I cling to the belief that I KNOW I can rely on myself, but others can let you down. With that being said, it is damn near impossible to go it alone. At the very least you have to sleep and when you sleep you are vulerable.

As of right now it is myself and my girlfriend and thats it. I did have a neighbor who shared the prepper mentality but he moved and lost touch. It is better to have a small group that you can depend on then a large group that you can't.

I would say the best thing to do is slowly build your base. Friends and family would be the most sensible choice, as long as they pull their own weight and contribute. But within the group there needs to be structure that is set out BEFORE the SHTF. One leader to make the decisions, another person in charge of the food, another in charge of the weapons etc. Everybody should be responsible for the general aspects of surviving SHTF but then give them a specific job they are responsible for. And keep in mind, that if you are the leader, it is your job to make sure that others are doing theirs.

I am curious if anyone has tried setting up a formal preppers network through their church. If so how did it go?

Ya know..I'm kinda torn on this one...I was watching Doomsday Preppers last night and the "experts" always recommend including your neighbors in your prepper plans. I get the idea of having more people therefore more skills and supplies and resources and such. BUT...then there's the idea of telling your neighbors about your preps in an effort to get them on board...and they just think you're the goofy paranoid type and ignore it. THEN...when the SHTF...guess who knows about YOUR stash and will come looking. Ya know?

Do you guys include your neighbors in on your prepping?
No I do not. I am the outsider, in more ways than one, in this neighborhood.
I won't include them for the exact reason you stated, that being;
when the SHTF...guess who knows about YOUR stash and will come looking.

This topic scares me. I have one co worker that (i think) is into prepping.
I know he stock piles, im not sure how much, or how far ahead he thinks.
My kids obviously know, and i think my ex has an idea. I may or may not
bring up to family members unless the topic comes up, and even then id
still test the waters. As far as telling others, i dont think so, because as stated
above, most people dont take it seriously until they are put in the situation,
then all of a sudden you become everyones best friend.

Latest posts

Back