I'm the proud parent of my first canned beans!

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brent S

Top Poster
Reaction score
image.jpg
I picked beans today, not only a big pot slowly cooking on the stove but I canned my first batch ever. I put in some fresh onions, garlic, pepper and a little bit of salt. I almost thru in some diced pork but decided not to on my first batch. Has anyone ever put meat in their veggies when canning? I was worried about how long it would store. I did just order a larger pressure canner today on amazon. This was all my little canner/cooker could hold so I got a 23 quart cooker that said it can hold 7 quart jars at a time. At least I'm over the fear of exploding now!

from what i hear about meat..make sure the fat is removed.on account the fat can ruin it and make it spoil

Sometimes I question the wisdom of this vs the 50cent cans I saw on sale at aldi the other day! Seriously, I'm having a ball (no jar related pun intended) learning this stuff. Somehow playing in the dirt, all sweaty and tired is more gratifying than most things I've done in my life.

yeah i know what ya mean.i failed at my first canning try.(stew)..but i enjoyed it all the same.and there's one thing i tried 5 weeks ago..i made some more stew.but failed to think in time when it comes to canning it for shelf life.so the stew meat has the fat still on it.i went ahead n fineshed cooking it..and made the stew.i went ahead and canned it,and let it cool..then stuck it into the fridge.i ate a jar of it yesterday.its still good

yeah i know what ya mean.i failed at my first canning try.(stew)..but i enjoyed it all the same.and there's one thing i tried 5 weeks ago..i made some more stew.but failed to think in time when it comes to canning it for shelf life.so the stew meat has the fat still on it.i went ahead n fineshed cooking it..and made the stew.i went ahead and canned it,and let it cool..then stuck it into the fridge.i ate a jar of it yesterday.its still good
Just be sure to follow the times in the receipe exactly. I enjoy reading your posts and want to keep you around for a while. From what I've read you can't taste botulism, but it can kill you just the same.

exactly true about botulism..and thats why i'll look at it before opening it.if it looks wrong in any kind of way to me.i'll dump it.if i open it up.and it smells wrong the tiniest bit.again i'll dump it..

If you want to add in the meat go ahead, but just process it for 90 minutes at 10 lbs. I was a little nervous the first time I did the pressure canner thing too,. . . and my first project was the green bean thing. You'll be an old hag before you know it! Congratulations!!

yeah.i need to start learning canning more.and best way for that,is by doing..

Latest posts

Back