I'm a new prepper from Texas & need help getting started.

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The kicker is that many of our family members talk about when SHTF. They know it can and will happen. They even say they think it is happening soon. They are just lazy. Like most people

Wow, that is just hard for someone like me to even comprehend. Good luck with your plans though, sounds like you're doing well for it. Those toilets are extremely expensive by the way. I looked into one so I can put one in the stables (it's a long walk to the house). A macerating toilet is less (and can use a standard sink drain), so that's a better solution for me, but still around $700 or so...but less than the composting ones.

Wow, that is just hard for someone like me to even comprehend. Good luck with your plans though, sounds like you're doing well for it. Those toilets are extremely expensive by the way. I looked into one so I can put one in the stables (it's a long walk to the house). A macerating toilet is less (and can use a standard sink drain), so that's a better solution for me, but still around $700 or so...but less than the composting ones.

The toilet I looked into was basically a wooden box with a toilet seat and a five gallon bucket. You add peat moss and saw dust to it. I figure I could build it for less than $50. Here's a link.
http://humanurehandbook.com/store/LOVEABLE-LOO-Eco-Toilet.html

Ahh, I was thinking the real high tech ones that dry it, heat it, treat it, etc. Will have to look at this other one. Thanks.

Hmm..this may just work. We have plenty of sawdust already for the horses. My idea is to put the toilet in our tack room (for privacy). Like you said, could build it pretty cheaply. Nice find. I just worry about the odor, but since we already have compost, would be a no-brainer.

I have a power source and sink drain where I want to put it, so was thinking a bit more modern, but like the SHTF application of this one too.

Ahh, I was thinking the real high tech ones that dry it, heat it, treat it, etc. Will have to look at this other one. Thanks.

Hmm..this may just work. We have plenty of sawdust already for the horses. My idea is to put the toilet in our tack room (for privacy). Like you said, could build it pretty cheaply. Nice find. I just worry about the odor, but since we already have compost, would be a no-brainer.

I have looked into several sites and read a lot of testimonies and people swear there isn't any odor. I may put together one and give it a trial run. I am really a fan of trial runs. I hate coming up with grand ideas and then when SHTF, they don't work. I have even been giving my family meals once or twice a week out of our provisions that I wouldn't normally cook. If they really like something, I buy more. If they don't. I quit buying that item and move on to something else. I am going to filter and treat some water next and do a taste test with my family with water I treated out of the lake, bottled water and tap water. I'll have to post my results.

Awesome. Yep, I'm a big fan of stocking up only on things we'll actually eat. For the cost of building this toilet, even if it doesn't work out, it isn't a huge investment. Just keep another bucket of sawdust near it with a scoop. I have to check with the wife, and see if she'll buy in to trying it.

I am new to prepping. I am 47 years old, my husband (53) and kids 19, 23 & 27 all still live at home. We have decided to bug in if something happens but my inlaws do have a remote nonworking farm an hour away if we need to bug out. Their well is electric and if power goes out, there would not be a water source. It is also far away and we are usually within 15 minutes of our home, so getting back to our home is never a problem. We live across the street from a large lake, so we decided that with water, fish, wildlife and firewood sources nearby that it would be best to bug in if possible. We have started buying firearms and ammo. My husband and I also obtained our CHL's. Two of our kids are well trained in firearms and will be getting their CHL's as well. Our son wants to become a gunsmith and works on our guns. We purchased fishing equipment & fishing licenses and are well stocked in that area. Our daughter is an EMT/CNA specializing in pediatrics and is also a former pharmacy tech. I study orthomolecular and natural medicine. We are well stocked for most medical situations and are adding to our stock of medical supplies on a weekly basis. I have been learning to can and bought both a water bath and pressure canner. We put in a garden but I suck at it and almost everything died. We are going to try again and after become better educated in gardening & starting a compost bin. We bought a chicken coop for four chickens but are not sure our HOA will like us having chickens. We may get them anyway and pray they don't find out. Next on our list is water storage and purchasing water filteration/treatment equipment. We will also add two rain barrels to our home. We are adding to our food and cleaning/hygiene supplies weekly. I am now making my own laundry detergent and learning to make other types of cleaning and toiletry products. I am going to try to get large pieces of plywood so that I can at least cover my lower floor windows for security if needed and we will be adding security film to our windows and reinforcing our exterior doors. I am also going to be buying and storing propane BBQ tanks. We have also discussed buying enduro motorcyles for transportation in case we need to bug out. We are also on the lookout for a couple of port-a-potties and used solar panels. We are looking into getting our ham radio license as well. I don't know where to go from here. Any ideas?
Welcome and thank you for taking time to join Doomsday Prepper Forums.com. Your presence here is much appreciated. We look forward to your posts, and hope you enjoy the community!

Please feel free to ask (post) and questions you may have in the proper area, as the members on here are extremely knowledgeable and more than willing to help!

Thank you again for taking the time to join Doomsday Prepper Forums.com!

Hi and welcome! Sounds like everyone else has got ya covered! Ever thought of prepper/survival podcasts on iTunes? I learned a ton from them.

Latest posts

Back