I'm a new prepper and need help!

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Irishprepper

Reaction score
Hi there, I'm new to prepping, just started about 10 months ago stockpiling food. So naturally I've made plenty of mistakes! I've only gotten Mylar bags and o2 absorbers in the last few weeks and I'm wondering if I can use them to package basmatti rice and oats that I purchased about 9 or 10 months ago? There's still at least a year or two left on the use by dates and the original packages have remained unopened and undamaged. They've also been stored in a cool, dry dark place. I think I should be ok to put them in the Mylar for long term storage but was hoping for a second opinion before packaging.
Thanks in advance for any advice!

Howdy from Georgia!

Your rice and oats should still be perfectly edible, but may not have the same texture and flavor as fresh after extended storage in the Mylar. But I would check for mold on them. Cooler temperature and and constant temperature are best. If you can find oxygen scrubbers and desiccant packs that will help keep them fresher in the Mylar.

I rotate my rice, the older ones I rinse before use,I've actually consumed alot rice lately...and price has gone up,used to buy 1 kg for 69 cents,it's now 1.39..
same with oats,rotate them,use them in bakeing too.

yup, had a "Karen" complaining here about school food they got for free to feed the kids at lunch time from the school,told that hunger is by far the best seasoning you ever get,hungry that FREE food will taste great..

so,don't forget spieces,they can make the meal alot better and cheer you up in ways we don't think now.

It will probably be okay for a while, as long it was properly stored (cool, dry place) for the last 9-10 months. If there is an option it might be better to go ahead and start eating those and buy new to store (but of course that may not be feasible).

Latest posts

Back