IF you were Homeless and had only a $1000

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
"1, I've sold many 100 - 1,000 oz bars of silver and received cash on the spot. The dealer just does a simple test."

Back in 2012, car broke down, needed cash and dipped into my silver.

Athens, Tennessee. Coin dealer, fancy shop. Couldn't do an assay, had to send it in. Cost me a week.

Now on, worth it for me to pay extra over spot.

"# 2, I have never met a true conservative Californian. They all think they are, but everyone of them will change whatever place they move to in to California. Just look at Oregon, Washington, Colorado etc."

I have met a few. In Alabama, Tennessee and Oklahoma.

I suppose if we don't get too many of them in one place, they will behave themselves. LOL!

"1, I've sold many 100 - 1,000 oz bars of silver and received cash on the spot. The dealer just does a simple test."

Back in 2012, car broke down, needed cash and dipped into my silver.

Athens, Tennessee. Coin dealer, fancy shop. Couldn't do an assay, had to send it in. Cost me a week.

Now on, worth it for me to pay extra over spot.
I guess not every coin dealer is a bullion dealer too. Or the guy was just a jerk.
I do agree that smaller sized silver coins, rounds and 1 oz bars are easier to carry. On my 10 oz to 100 oz bars I've never had a dealer do a test. Just make sure that you buy only recognizable hallmarks. And always deal with a reputable gold/silver dealer.

"If your asking a serious question then first off you should get out of California. Head east, doesn't really matter where."

You are correct in telling the young man to get out of California, but it does matter where.

Not all places east are equal. Many variables to consider.

Past 18 years, I have lived in 12 different states and 20 different towns and cities.

This country IS cruel to a poor outsider. I can understand that. Too many scurvy dishonest people out there. Makes it much more difficult for those of us just trying to make it out there.

By the way, I am nearly deaf. Could have taken the easy way out DECADES ago and collect disability. But that was not how my adoptive family raised me.

When I graduated high school nearly 40 years ago, an older person pulled me aside and told me the facts of life.

'Randolph, you are nearly deaf. You will have to work twice as hard as the next person to get the same respect.'

Best advice I ever received. I will turn 56 next week and still can out work most 20-somethings.

"Seems to me right now it's easier for someone to get back on their feet than it ever has been."

No, it is much harder.

Homeless with no one, and nowhere to go with $1,000 will only buy the young man 2-3 weeks now days. Corporate HR departments take 2-3 weeks to do their thing. That is today's reality.

Cheap motels have jacked up their rates over the past year. By 50% or more. Not even an option for someone on unemployment anymore.

This time of year, a good $300 tent and a campground near a mid-sized city.

A car, truck or van is a must.

Been through this more times than I wish to count.

Twenty years ago, bought a 1990 Dodge Ram van with travel package. Best $2500 I spent. Was able to live in it when the only job available was Labor Ready. Showered every other day at a truck stop to stay clean. Back then, $6. Last I checked $12.

Once knew a 50 year old man who lived as a hobo, the Denver to San Antonio line for years. Even he gave that up. Getting much harder for the poor in this country.

"Doug" was a wealth of information on survival. If I ever need to go at it as a hobo, I know what to look for to find what I need. (That's for another post) We lived in adjoining rooms above a vacant store front next to a homeless shelter in the Dirty South. $350/month. Shared bathrooms, kitchen, and what not. Just don't forget to look under your car for alligators. LOL!

I didn't say anything about it being a good time to be homeless.....

For people who are out of work there are a ton of jobs available in industries that require no experience and are offering a high starting hourly pay.

And for those who don't want to work you can just get everything for free. Half the people collecting a "pandemic unemployment" check every week weren't working when covid started. Some of them have never even filed a tax return.

On top of that they'll give anyone food stamps, a free smart phone, free wi-fi, and even a free apartment as long as they're not working.

Sure things may be more expensive than they once were, it's called inflation and it's always going to happen. But there's no reason for most people to be homeless given our liberal government.

UnPreppedHomeless,

I rarely, if ever post. You touched a nerve because I been where you are at.

It will not be easy, but you have to make your way, no one else will do it for you.

But the stories you will be able to tell!

Keep your head up. Be honest. Be decent. That was what got me through the darkest of times.

No matter what you been through, I probably been through worst.

Rubbing my last two quarters, drove my van to a religious compound on July 4th 2005, 20 miles from Dollywood in Tennessee.

Was promised a new start. Spent three months as a slave working 16 hours, six days a week for no pay. My food was leftovers from the "high priest's" table.

Found myself a job one day and did not get back to the compound until after midnight (afternoon shift in Knoxville).

First thing the next morning the high priest woke me up with a revolver in his hand and told me I had to leave right then. (He expected me to be his slave)

Found a cheap motel in Knoxville before my next shift. Had to find someone to borrow from.

Moved to a rooming house on $6/HR the following week. Ate whatever I could afford.

Then just lived in my van the winter of 2005-2006. 5-degrees with no heat was no joke.

But I survived.

Summer of 2006, finally got a break.

"# 2, I have never met a true conservative Californian. They all think they are, but everyone of them will change whatever place they move to in to California. Just look at Oregon, Washington, Colorado etc."

I have met a few. In Alabama, Tennessee and Oklahoma.

I suppose if we don't get too many of them in one place, they will behave themselves. LOL!

Well Randolph, there are millions of us conservatives in California. Go east of I-5 and it is almost all Trump country. Where I live there are no leftists.

"Well Randolph, there are millions of us conservatives in California. Go east of I-5 and it is almost all Trump country. Where I live there are no leftists."

LOL! Well aware.

The best conservatives against communism back in the day (50s and 60s) all seem to come from that region from the books and pamphlets I read over the years.

UnPreppedHomeless,

I rarely, if ever post. You touched a nerve because I been where you are at.

It will not be easy, but you have to make your way, no one else will do it for you.

But the stories you will be able to tell!

Keep your head up. Be honest. Be decent. That was what got me through the darkest of times.

No matter what you been through, I probably been through worst.

Rubbing my last two quarters, drove my van to a religious compound on July 4th 2005, 20 miles from Dollywood in Tennessee.

Was promised a new start. Spent three months as a slave working 16 hours, six days a week for no pay. My food was leftovers from the "high priest's" table.

Found myself a job one day and did not get back to the compound until after midnight (afternoon shift in Knoxville).

First thing the next morning the high priest woke me up with a revolver in his hand and told me I had to leave right then. (He expected me to be his slave)

Found a cheap motel in Knoxville before my next shift. Had to find someone to borrow from.

Moved to a rooming house on $6/HR the following week. Ate whatever I could afford.

Then just lived in my van the winter of 2005-2006. 5-degrees with no heat was no joke.

But I survived.

Summer of 2006, finally got a break.

Randolph, you really don't know "homeless" people do you. You are projecting your values onto them. For example, how much did you pay for that cheap motel in Knoxville? Was it $50.? What would a homeless person pay? If they have $50., $50 would be spent on drugs. If it was $40., $30., $20., or even $10. a night that is waaaaaaaaaaaay too much. They would use that money for drugs. So there is NEVER going to be rent cheap enough for them until the number is zero and you pay for it. There is no housing crisis in California. There is plenty of housing for $500./mo. They won't pay even that much. And where that housing is there is no beach, no lax law enforcement, no NGOs and social workers passing things out, no easy access to drugs, no looking the other way at their purse snatching-car break-in type crimes. Food stamps are a long, long trip to the county seat. No Obama phones free. And hot weather in the summer and cold weather in the winter. But most of all there are no leftists who will coddle them. That is why "homeless" people "migrate" to the coast of California from all over the country.

"THERE YOU GO ARCTIC; TAKING THE WORDS RIGHT OUT OF MY MOUTH!!!
I was never homeless...I always had my backpack and a pair of boots! That WAS MY HOME! Changed jobs to better paying ones, learned new skills, traded my skills for money, went to trucking school, drove long-haul in the US, drove long haul in Europe, Bus lines, Bus long-distance, taxis and was an armed body guard even...where I laid my hat daily was my home...get to work, get yourself prepped and REPORT BACK IN TO US IN A YEAR!!!
Live free, Gary"

Gary's advice is solid if the OP can meet DDOT qualifications.

Become a trucker.

"Randolph, you really don't know "homeless" people do you. You are projecting your values onto them."

Schattentarn,

You may be right.

However, there may be the chance the OP is going through what I once did, and....

....considering this is The Doomsday Prepped Forum....

....and this is the one area I probably have (unfortunately) the most experience....

why not explore survival techniques in case any of us should find ourselves in this situation?

In our current Clownworld, possible for any one of us to lose everything.

Happened to me.

Telling me to get a job is cheap talk. I am legally deaf. No one wants to hire me, unless there is no-one else.

You know who else is in the same boat now? All you 'evil straight white male conservative Christians'.

Some of you may want to pick my brain.

Summer of 2013. Took an offer for a $20/HR. construction job an hour south west of New Orleans. Was laid off in Tennessee, settled all my affairs, and told the contractor all I had was about a thousand dollars until I get going again.

Contractor told me don't worry about it, come on down!

Get to his million dollar home just before 4:30pm Friday afternoon. Contractor said his hello, gave me a phone number and told me I better hurry up and get to Houma before five.

Before five? I hurried down the highway and dialed the number. It was the homeless shelter.

Lucked out. As I was waiting in the lobby of the homeless shelter to ask them where was the cheapest place to stay, right behind me was the manager to a rooming place next door. An opening, $350/month.

Twenty four rooms, everyone from drug addicts to oil workers, now me. LOL!

"Honestly I don't like all the jokes about calling me a druggy and etc. I don't even know why I ask for advice. Everyone says get a job right. You guys don't see another lockdown happening or am I the only one that can clearly see it? The news is spreading around that new delta variant and I can already see/predict we're going on another lockdown. So as much as I want to get a job again. I'm afraid of covid 19 and that we might possibly go back on lockdown again. Stock Market (DOW)is already dropping, if it continues to drop. That's how you know things are gonna get bad".

Then move to another state that will not likely lock down.

South Dakota, Oklahoma, etc.

The find yourself an "essential" job.

Cashier at a gas station is entry level and will not get shut down.

Just giving you some suggestions.

Just thought of something.

I am old enough to remember older people who lived through the Great Depression. No matter how much money they had, they always feared they would lose it all the next day or soon after.

No longer wonder why they felt this way. Been through tough times long enough to know no matter how secure you think you have it, it can disappear at a moment's notice, no fault your own.

As a child, didn't fully realize it then, but know it now, these survivors of the Great Depression gave me the best 'doomsday education.'

IMO there is a small window of time to make money that will help to prepare for what's coming. I will explain exactly what I would do if I was starting where you are

1. Get a job and save every penny

2. Buy a small van and live in it! There inexpensive and if you shop right you can find something dependable for around $1500. Spend the extra $100 to have a certified mechanic look at your ride before purchase. You are interested in only 1 thing. How dependable is the Van

3. Once your Van purchase has been made move from California to Arizona near BLM land because BLM is free camping and find more work if possible. If no work is available and the sky has already fallen you can live for a long time in your Van on Rice, beans, and potatoes, throw in some green vegies. For around $500 you can buy enouph bulk food to sustain your life for over a year.

4. If your 性交ing scared of covid your out of your goddamned mind. Covid DOES NOT kill people your age. Stop watching CNN

5. Good luck and if any of this sounds viable to you ask more questions on this and we can fine tune the process

Honestly I don't like all the jokes about calling me a druggy and etc. I don't even know why I ask for advice. Everyone says get a job right. You guys don't see another lockdown happening or am I the only one that can clearly see it? The news is spreading around that new delta variant and I can already see/predict we're going on another lockdown. So as much as I want to get a job again. I'm afraid of covid 19 and that we might possibly go back on lockdown again. Stock Market (DOW)is already dropping, if it continues to drop. That's how you know things are gonna get bad.

Life is tough sometimes and sometimes you are down in the dumps and other times you are on top of the world. Just remember that only you have the ability to bring yourself out of this mess. Living in commifornia is why you are afraid of covid19. The liberals have you scared of your own shadow. There is nothing to be afraid of except of course fear itself. Lots of good thoughts here. Not Joining the service out of college is a big regret of mine and you should seriously consider it. If that isnt for you then step number 2 is a career. You need to start deciding what career you want and make it happen. You can be anything you want to be. Just pick yourself up dust yourself off and get to work. I agree with others about finding a job. A job defines who you are in society and it can make you feel good about yourself plus bring you out of the hole. Find a 250 room to live in and get to work. It is really just that simple.

T
Life is tough sometimes and sometimes you are down in the dumps and other times you are on top of the world. Just remember that only you have the ability to bring yourself out of this mess. Living in commifornia is why you are afraid of covid19. The liberals have you scared of your own shadow. There is nothing to be afraid of except of course fear itself. Lots of good thoughts here. Not Joining the service out of college is a big regret of mine and you should seriously consider it. If that isnt for you then step number 2 is a career. You need to start deciding what career you want and make it happen. You can be anything you want to be. Just pick yourself up dust yourself off and get to work. I agree with others about finding a job. A job defines who you are in society and it can make you feel good about yourself plus bring you out of the hole. Find a 250 room to live in and get to work. It is really just that simple.

The OP has two choices........He can take the negative from this thread and sink, or he can take the positive from it and do well!

I'm kinda leaning toward the idea that this kid doesn't like work and wants to become more of a minimalist rather than a prepper. Minimalist living requires almost nothing, while on the other hand, prepping requires a fair amount of money and effort. Minimalist living is however a great way to save money for prepping, and for young ones, who in my opinion, have very little time to prepare, minimalist living is a good road to travel

I personally don't have much use for someone who doesn't put out the effort to better his life. Or someone who falls for all the government BS rather than thinking for himself. Anyone can succeed and no one needed to be "locked down".

I agree 100%

Anyone who believes this BS that the government is spewing out isn't a prepper IMO! In fact I firmly believe that what the government is planning to do to the people is exactly what we as preppers should be preparing for. Coming shortages, food, gasoline, automobiles, supplies, etc,etc,etc and its all by design. Mixs the Civil unrest/ possible civil war that is being pushed by both sides of the media and its clear to see the one world order agenda is here and being pushed in full force IMO.

I hope this California kid doesn't believe that Joe Biden and Kamel toes are here to save his ###

Latest posts

Back