If A Crisis Occurs While At Work

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brison

Reaction score
Does anyone have some feedback or thoughts on what to do if a major crisis occurs while you or your spouse is at work? I'm more concerned about my wife who works on the other side of town. Should I tell her to leave work immediately or hunker down and stay at work if a major crisis occurs? I worry that if I tell her to leave work she may get caught in a permanent traffic jam. We both have emergency bags (backpacks) in our cars.

get map(s) showing every street.and maybe ally-ways as well.and maybe streets,county roads,farm to market roads to interstate hwy's that are just outside of town..in which both of you sit down and study the map(s).plan the different routes each of you can take.name each route if need be.this way,if she calls you or use's a cb radio,or what ever.and says,im taking Henry route, or bob route.you know which route she's on,and not anyone else.in which you know to go and get her if she don't show up,with-in a certain length of time.there's different types of crisis.so marking different areas of the map for for different types of crisis might be a added pluss.have multiple routes planed in which each route can be changed at any given time..

Does anyone have some feedback or thoughts on what to do if a major crisis occurs while you or your spouse is at work? I'm more concerned about my wife who works on the other side of town. Should I tell her to leave work immediately or hunker down and stay at work if a major crisis occurs? I worry that if I tell her to leave work she may get caught in a permanent traffic jam. We both have emergency bags (backpacks) in our cars.

Sir, what i did with my wife and son was check out around the immediate areas where she works and he studies, we duly found two locations where they can hunker down completely out of sight and wait for me to get close enough t radio them, or pick them up. EG My sons RV location is a very heavily wooded and over grown traffic roundabout very close to his college. they both have mobiles and laptops and fm radios. I also have GHB in the boot (trunk) of their vehicles with essentials in IE rations, water, flashlight, light sticks, fleece and shoes plus a decent knife. They know if the balloon goes up NOT to ask permission to leave work or college but to just go and lay low.

Multiple safe rendezvous locations between home and college / work are a good idea.

what's the distance from her work place to home base??
here comes that big thing which SE put a thread here;response time...but if anything major occured at work/school they would se my back in the distance as I do my way home.

What spouses, partners and ankle biters / rug rats must understand is they must DECIDE FOR THEMSELVES what to do and not blindly follow works or school policy, as the poor bastards in the Super Dome in New Orleans found out as did the people in the upper floors of the WTC on 911 who obeyed announcements and security staff to stay where they are. ALL family members must first and foremost ( before they learn to shoot) become EXPERT at RISK ASSESSMENT and THREAT ASSESSMENT and understand its up to THEM to get the F*** out of harms way themselves. They must know of safe locations from wasteland to friendly diners, to friends homes, to planted areas where they can lay low.

Get back to prepper rule number 1 NEVER BECOME A REFUGEE.

We had a situation here about a 2 weeks ago where riotors started invading the western areas of our city, when we heard the initial reports my wife made some excuse at work and left, it gave her more than enough time to evade the big rush when they actually closed down the city centre. Poeple need to start moving away from thought process of waiting to see what happens then reacting, its going to put you in a real bad spot. Some poeple we stuck in certain areas till the next morning.

We had a situation here about a 2 weeks ago where riotors started invading the western areas of our city, when we heard the initial reports my wife made some excuse at work and left, it gave her more than enough time to evade the big rush when they actually closed down the city centre. Poeple need to start moving away from thought process of waiting to see what happens then reacting, its going to put you in a real bad spot. Some poeple we stuck in certain areas till the next morning.
Exactly you dont wait until you are officially told to evac, you use your own judgement call and react accordingly. EG in the UK some years back a massive shopping Mall was ordered to close because of the treacherous winter weather outside that was causing traffic chaos, So the Mall duly closed tens of thousands of people took to their cars and promptly got stuck on the motorways in a blizzard after multiple crashes caused most of the roads in the area to be closed. One wise dude and his kids listened to the evac order looked at the weather, listened to the traffic news on his car radio then went and booked himself into a near by Days Inn.

Last edited:

Prevention better than cure, leaving early reactor better than dead complier etc

Last edited:

A lot of factors here, but of course, you two should try to meet up, then take one vehicle home or to your bug out location. Traffic jam shouldn't be a worry, as you have emergency bags, so may have to go on foot. Biggest point is to have an established meeting place. Of course, different situations may call for improvisation, but as long as these alternatives are stated ahead of time, you should be good.

Example, my wife works about 15 minutes from me. However, we car pool, and actually live about 50 miles away. So, if something went down, first, I'd drive to pick her up, and then get as far as we could in the truck, on our way home (our bug in location). We live in a rural area, and have a small (about 5 and a half acres) ranch, so it's not a bad location at all.

This is one of my main concerns too. My wife works in a remote location about 2800 miles from home. She is limited in what she can carry on commercial airlines but she does carry as much food as possible and a small water filter. That's about all of the survival stuff she can take. The area where she works is fairly well supplied so I'm not too worried about something happening when she's at work. Its the travel between her work and home that scares me with the possible loss of communication and transportation that could happen during a major dieaster such as an EMP.

I would be concerned about my father who works in the remote sections of Alaska. I live and work on the other side of the country in Indiana. Luckily, I know my dad can get to me faster through his job than getting a vehicle and driving or walking across the country because he is a Alaskan Bush Pilot. Sure it would take him a few days because the planes he flies don't have the same fuel capacity compared to a 737.

I would be concerned about my father who works in the remote sections of Alaska. I live and work on the other side of the country in Indiana. Luckily, I know my dad can get to me faster through his job than getting a vehicle and driving or walking across the country because he is a Alaskan Bush Pilot. Sure it would take him a few days because the planes he flies don't have the same fuel capacity compared to a 737.
I'd think being in remote Alaska would be a good place in shtf. You would be on your own, but that seems safer than in a city.

having a bush plane in shtf...nice!
Yeah. Especially since he flies a Cessna 208 Caravan, which looks like this https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/84/Los_Alamos_Cessna_208_2.JPG

This means if he is able to he can load up as much supplies as he could and make his way to me and my mom. Even better he would only need to make 2.71 refueling stops. Since the furthest distance he would be is 3,359 miles and the plane has a 1,240 miles/1,996 km range. If he can land the Caravan in a secluded area my mom and I board and refuel it quickly then he could take right off.

I'd think being in remote Alaska would be a good place in shtf. You would be on your own, but that seems safer than in a city.
I know what you are talking about but knowing my father he and my brother, who I forgot to mentioned sometimes works in Alaska, would want to making it back to me and my mother. So they would most likely not stay up there.

Without modern conveniences, winter is harsh in Alaska. There's a reason people died a lot in winter, in the old days....

Agreed and sometimes my father is based in a barren landscape, nothing but grass and small shrubs, so heating his place is nearly impossible.

I started a YouTube channel about two months ago designed to help people become prepared when a disaster hits. I'm up to 68 subscribers and I would like for my channel to keep growing. Go to project prepper 42 at YouTube and subscribe to help it grow, I need the support. Stay tuned in for weekly videos

Sent from my XT1528 using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back