ideas on what to put in 5 gal bucket

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Allen

Reaction score
I have a bunch of 5 gal buckets and am looking at putting single day packets of food together and in vacuum sealed and mylar bags so all I have to do is grab a packet and go not mess with getting into 5 different buckets to make a meal.My question is what type of food would be best I am already looking at putting in rice beans dehydrated veggiesand meat what else sshould I look at putting in it ? Thanks for any info

I made up 6 buckets like what your doing. I put Gamma seal lids on the buckets. I tried to think of simple meal plans and listed them out on paper to put in the bucket as well. I also added instructions on how to use things like beans and rice etc... that are not commercially packaged. You would be surprised the people who have no idea how to cook from scratch with simple things as beans.

Some of the items in put in are: Instant oatmeal packets of different flavors, sugar, salt, pepper, pasta packets such as Knorr & Bear Creek brands ( just boil water, done in 5 minutes), mac n cheese boxes, Hungry Man dehydrated hashbrowns in a box, DAK can ham, bouillon cubes for soup, spaghetti makings (pasta & tomato paste & seasoning packet) plus the beans and rice as you mentioned. With the beans I can add bouillon cubes and the canned ham and any vegies I can scrounge up and I have a soup. The biggest down fall is the need for water for cooking. I figure I can get water. I like the fact I can either use the bucket of food or give it to someone in need and it will feed them a variety for several days. I also stick in non-food items: roll of TP in zip lock bag, lighter, 50 rd box 22lr ammo.

I try to find items that have at least a 2-3 year shelf life. I use the food as the expirations come close and replace the items as needed. I was not concerned with weight in making the buckets.

Heck, could always include some bottled water.
Also, think of some snack items too. Helps keep spirits lifted.
Speaking of spirits, maybe a small bottle of wine!

Latest posts

Back