Ideas for prepping on a strict budget?

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

caliprepper95

Reaction score
How are you doing? I have been prepping for about 4-5 years now, I will be 18 in August and for the most part when I first started, it was mainly research on what prepping was and could I do to further prepare myself. So after a while money started coming in little by little from allowance and holiday occasions, and I can say I've gotten pretty far and have a decent prep stockpile, I am not the only prepper in my family my dad and I both do it. We have plenty of weapons, ammunition, and food. There is only a few things we do not have that is set in stone; a good bug out plan if need be, good communication equipment, and multiple ways on purifying or storing water. We have one water filter between our family of four, it is the military pump water filter and it is small and I don't know how long it would last between us all. Please if you could help me out and give me suggestions on what I should prep more of or what I should get next, please let me know. If someone would like to hear what I have prepped so far so they may get a better understanding of what I am talking about, then write me and I will post an answer. Thank you, and have a nice day.

How are you doing? I have been prepping for about 4-5 years now, I will be 18 in August and for the most part when I first started, it was mainly research on what prepping was and could I do to further prepare myself. So after a while money started coming in little by little from allowance and holiday occasions, and I can say I've gotten pretty far and have a decent prep stockpile, I am not the only prepper in my family my dad and I both do it. We have plenty of weapons, ammunition, and food. There is only a few things we do not have that is set in stone; a good bug out plan if need be, good communication equipment, and multiple ways on purifying or storing water. We have one water filter between our family of four, it is the military pump water filter and it is small and I don't know how long it would last between us all. Please if you could help me out and give me suggestions on what I should prep more of or what I should get next, please let me know. If someone would like to hear what I have prepped so far so they may get a better understanding of what I am talking about, then write me and I will post an answer. Thank you, and have a nice day.
Welcome and thank you for taking time to join Doomsday Prepper Forums.com. Your presence here is much appreciated. We look forward to your posts, and hope you enjoy the community!

In a doomsday scenario I don't find your method inhumane. After all it is survival of the fittest.

Please feel free to ask (post) and questions you may have in the proper area, as the members on here are extremely knowledgeable and more than willing to help!

Thank you again for taking the time to join Doomsday Prepper Forums.com!

Welcome aboard ! Kind of depends on your plan. I am going with two filters and plan on boiling most of my water in order to conserve the filters.
Thank you! I was thinking the same thing, like they say; two is one, one is none. As of now if we were to somehow get separated, I have one way of purifying water and that is by boiling it with a canteen cup, and I have a way of storing about 2.5 gallons of water because my uncle gave me a collapsible water jug from REI I believe so if I were to store water, it would be enough for a couple of days.

I have the large alice pack as my bug out bag, I love this pack because its durable, comfortable, and it gives me the capability to carry lots of stuff. I know I can carry a heavy amount of gear and equipment because I have practiced with it before. I am just wondering what other people would carry with their setup?

Hi welcome :D I'm also 17 :p I'm using a regular hiking bag for my BOB. My suggestion is that you look into getting some water purification tablets and a life straw. Actually both would be good. As for your communication I think that is key

Thank you! I was thinking the same thing, like they say; two is one, one is none. As of now if we were to somehow get separated, I have one way of purifying water and that is by boiling it with a canteen cup, and I have a way of storing about 2.5 gallons of water because my uncle gave me a collapsible water jug from REI I believe so if I were to store water, it would be enough for a couple of days.

Perfect, i use a canteen cup also. I like the esbit fuel tabs. No smoke or noise. Also, 2 litter soda bottles work well for water storage, out of the tap it's good up to 6 months but i dump mine after 3.

Hi welcome :D I'm also 17 :p I'm using a regular hiking bag for my BOB. My suggestion is that you look into getting some water purification tablets and a life straw. Actually both would be good. As for your communication I think that is key

Nice choice on the life straw, cheap and dependable. Kind of a pain to get the water going but it works.

I have the large alice pack as my bug out bag, I love this pack because its durable, comfortable, and it gives me the capability to carry lots of stuff. I know I can carry a heavy amount of gear and equipment because I have practiced with it before. I am just wondering what other people would carry with their setup?

Depends on your plan and area, I live in So Cal so i prepare for the big one. Three day bag with me or in the car at all times, IF :shtf i just need to make it home.

Nice! I have been looking into more water purification tablets, so far I just have one small bottle that came with a military individual first aid kit, between my two-one quart canteens on my load bearing vest, a two quart canteen I plan to put on my alice pack and the 2.5 gallon water jug. That little bottle of water purification tablets will definitely not do!

Perfect, i use a canteen cup also. I like the esbit fuel tabs. No smoke or noise. Also, 2 litter soda bottles work well for water storage, out of the tap it's good up to 6 months but i dump mine after 3.
I bought one of those esbit stoves as well a couple months back, never got around to using it, but I also didn't want to waste any fuel tablets either. I will have to start storing water then with every large bottle I happen to find in my home. And as for my area I live in northern California near Sacramento, but in just a few months I am moving to SoCal, and so I hope to get a better developed plan setup and better equipment. Since you down there do you know of any good survival stores or tactical shops that sell decently priced gear and equipment? If you do and would be willing to help me out I would appreciate it. Thank you.

Hi CaliPrepper, Welcome to the board!

It is good to hear that you and your dad are helping each other prep. That is a good way to go. If you need to know anything, feel free to ask and if you feel you can contribute something, then please do so. It would be highly appreciated!

Be Safe Always!

Since your in CA, you should have a GHB/BOB. It does not have to cost much. Even an old school backpack will hold many things to get you started. It does not have to be tactical to be functional. Many times you can go to thrift sales or Goodwill stores and get items dirt cheap. Even the sporting good section at Walmart will have a lot of items that will work in a GHB. They sell a stainless steal 18 oz cup with a folding handling in the camping stuff for $5. Works well to cook in over a small stove or fire. I use my on canoe trips and its a very sturdy cup.

Have your dad pick up an extra bottle of bleach for water purifying. It will last about 6 months. You can rotate it using it to clean in the kitchen or laundry. It only takes like 8 drops of bleach to purify a gallon of drinking water. One gallon of bleach will purify a lot of water (couple hundred gallons??) for $2. For water jugs in your GHB/BOB get a few Gatorade bottles. They are heavy plastic. After drinking the Gatorade rinse them out and now you have FREE water bottles. Food for your bag does not have to be expensive MRE's. Start by looking in the kitchen for simple items: granola bars, raisins, almonds & peanuts, oatmeal packets.
Didn't mean to go on here. Post some direct questions in the topic areas and we will do our best to get you the ideas your looking for!

Since your in CA, you should have a GHB/BOB. It does not have to cost much. Even an old school backpack will hold many things to get you started. It does not have to be tactical to be functional. Many times you can go to thrift sales or Goodwill stores and get items dirt cheap. Even the sporting good section at Walmart will have a lot of items that will work in a GHB. They sell a stainless steal 18 oz cup with a folding handling in the camping stuff for $5. Works well to cook in over a small stove or fire. I use my on canoe trips and its a very sturdy cup.

Have your dad pick up an extra bottle of bleach for water purifying. It will last about 6 months. You can rotate it using it to clean in the kitchen or laundry. It only takes like 8 drops of bleach to purify a gallon of drinking water. One gallon of bleach will purify a lot of water (couple hundred gallons??) for $2. For water jugs in your GHB/BOB get a few Gatorade bottles. They are heavy plastic. After drinking the Gatorade rinse them out and now you have FREE water bottles. Food for your bag does not have to be expensive MRE's. Start by looking in the kitchen for simple items: granola bars, raisins, almonds & peanuts, oatmeal packets.
Didn't mean to go on here. Post some direct questions in the topic areas and we will do our best to get you the ideas your looking for!
No its okay, I found your advice very helpful, so thank you! I have currently a large alice pack and has a decent amount of gear in it, I just need to store more water, as for food we have a lot of food from stockpile problem is most of it is kind of bulky but we do have a lot of canned, I will hopefully soon be getting more money but only time will tell.

Hey everyone, me again. This time I want to talk about LBE/LCE setups. If you have one please post a picture or just type down what you have setup on it. I will talk about mine real quick. My load bearing vest is a 1990's military issue LBV-88. I bought it on amazon for a really good price, $18.00 shipped. Came in great condition, it was unissued no faded color and no rips or tears. Currently attached to the vest is a pistol belt, (3) M16 magazine pouches, a compass pouch, a butt pack, (2) one quart canteens with covers and canteen cup, a camel back, an IFAK, and a survival knife. All the pouches on the vest are attached using the old alice clips, some people say they are trashy and should just use paracord or zipties, but I like the alice clips, they work just fine. Well ladies and gents that is my LBE-Vest. I hope to put up some pictures tomorrow. Thank you, and have a nice day.:)

Hey everyone, me again. This time I want to talk about LBE/LCE setups. If you have one please post a picture or just type down what you have setup on it. I will talk about mine real quick. My load bearing vest is a 1990's military issue LBV-88. I bought it on amazon for a really good price, $18.00 shipped. Came in great condition, it was unissued no faded color and no rips or tears. Currently attached to the vest is a pistol belt, (3) M16 magazine pouches, a compass pouch, a butt pack, (2) one quart canteens with covers and canteen cup, a camel back, an IFAK, and a survival knife. All the pouches on the vest are attached using the old alice clips, some people say they are trashy and should just use paracord or zipties, but I like the alice clips, they work just fine. Well ladies and gents that is my LBE-Vest. I hope to put up some pictures tomorrow. Thank you, and have a nice day.:)

Hey open this thread in equipment. Most members are not going to find it here.

I have seen and used an alice bag (once) I like them. My only problem is that it is easier to find a MOLLE bag now

Latest posts

Back