Ideas for bartering

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was thinking that eye glass repair kits and cheap reading glasses could be nice to have for trade and/or personal use. They both can be had cheaply.
Not a bad idea. You can get several pairs in a pack fairly cheap from costco.
I am sure there will be a lot of people who are tired of walking into trees due to poor eyesight.

heh I got a sister in Adolphus, 60 acres,cave with a spring running out of it. you ought to look her up sometime.her place has lots of possibillities. surrounded by mennonites. hmmmm......

as i was going through my research I found that some folks are planing to use paper money as bartering iteams i cant see that a good iteam lol but I have set up my cashe all over my properties and each has a stash of bartering iteams such as food tools higyean products..... but in a true bug out situation I dont plan to need to barter much as i have planned alot and have myself good stocks safly stored

My secret weapon barter items I have all supplies for beer brewing as well as other spirits that as by law I am unable to make but in a bug out situation I for one will brew it as a bartering item

I dont think id wanna be in contact with anyone. Sure there may be a time when i need something someone else has, but id like to think that is a strong maybe. I dont trust people and im sure not gonna trust people in a nasty situation. Sure maybe a starving mom and her kid might be a different scenario. But when i make my decision to add to my preps, its based on me and my 2 kids.

I agree with HarrySachs, that when I prep, I am doing so my for myself and my family and am not thinking too much about barter situations. But, with that said I have started saving older coins made of silver, and alcohol. I think if I did have to barter It would most likely be with booze, water or animals.

I believe that we are heading for an economic collapse that may take many years to come out of. From my perspective, the best barter material you can have is a skill that will be needed when people come together, as our pioneering forefathers did, and form communities. Whether that skill be blacksmithing, tanning hides, farming, making fabric, building wagons, brewing beer, etc., it can be traded for other necessities. This does not mean you shouldn't prep, I'm just suggesting you learn a skill that could be used in a long term situation.

Just my 2¢

ammo & alcohol,Tobacco products. maybe some antibiotics,and if you could find a way to store it properly insulin,would be extremely valuable if one was insulin dependant

Shoes, cloth, duct tape, baling twine or wire, salt, spices, sugar, warm socks, soap, women's products will also be good bartering items. Not everyone drinks or smokes, but nearly everyone wears shoes and clothing. Shoes can be picked up by the bagful at thrift stores, even boots and other leather shoes, if you have room to store them. Not to mentions kid's shoes, a lot of people forget the kids will grow and need bigger sizes.

Soapmaking, spinning, weaving, sewing, herbal medicine, and leatherworking will also be good skills to barter with as well as many others.

Latest posts

Back