Ideas for bartering

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm not so sure bartering will work - if it really hits the fan, and someone finds out you have something to barter, you become a target. Don't forget human nature in crisis times - people will no longer be nice and respectable ( not including us here, we are all sweet and noble citizens in a corrupt society ;) ). If you have something, I guarantee someone out there will want/try to take it. Will I barter??? Not with strangers, maybe with a few friends, never with relatives ( with a few exceptions ). If it really hits the fan, wait for the mob mentality to take over when you try to barter with them. Sure they will barter - "Give us what you have and we might let you live". Over reacting ??? Maybe. I'll be playing the game, going house to house begging for food. Can't be seen as an isolationist - draws too much attention. Just my 2c worth.

Someone earlier mentioned insulin. That never occurred to me, but will be priceless to everyone with type 1 diabetes. They will literally die without it.
Ammo is great for trading, but I'll be keeping all mine if possible. I kinda agree with those who mentioned booze and tobacco.

If I can find some women who have a fetish for fat, bald, ugly, middle-aged men...I'll get me a SHTF sugar-momma and be set ! :rolleyes:

In no particular order, consider accumulating some of the following items for barter purposes. And keep in mind that in a post-collapse world, the items do not necessarily have to be new, but simply serviceable.

Water purification supplies including purification tabs and filters
Hand tools including hatchets, saws, machetes and general fix-it tools
Fire making supplies, including lighters, matches, flint fire steel
Sanitary supplies including toilet paper, feminine products and diapers
Disposable razors and razor blades
Fuel, any and all kinds (gas, diesel, propane, kerosene)
Prescription drugs, painkillers, and antibiotics
First aid remedies such as cough syrup, cortisone cream, boil-ese, calamine lotion and topical pain relievers
Spirits such as bourbon, rum, gin, and vodka
Coffee and tea (instant coffee is okay)
Solar battery charger and rechargeable batteries
Standard Batteries
Reading glasses
Paracord
Bags, including large garbage bags as well as smaller zip-close bags
Plastic sheeting
Duct tape
Tie Wraps
Heavy plastic sheets and tarps
Toiletries including toothpaste, dental floss soaps, shampoo (tip: save those small sized toiletries that are provided by hotels and motels)
Condoms
Latex or Nitrile gloves in a variety of sizes
Hard candy
Fishing supplies
Knives of various types including fixed blades, kitchen knives, and box cutters.
Condiments and Spices
Paperback books on a variety of subjects
Tobacco and cigarette rolling supplies
Amusements such as playing cards, crossword puzzle books, Sudoku
Pencils & paper
Pepper spray
Garden seeds
Flashlights
Vinegar and baking soda to use in DIY cleaning supplies
Empty spray bottles and squirt bottles
Hand pumps for both air and liquids
Mylar blankets and tents
Hand warmers
Sewing and mending supplies
Knitting or crochet needles and Yarn

One thing you will notice that I have not included firearms or ammo and for good reason. In a post-collapse society, you might not know your barter partners well and may run the risk that they will use these items against you so that they can steal the rest of you stuff. One person’s opinion, anyway.

act5860 , i see by your profile that you plan on bugging out . Will your barter items already be secured at a bug out location ?

What is the smallest item you have the most of and what is the most expensive item you have the most of.........just curious

L
Luckily, my doc is also a prepper. When the pharmacy called about the prescriptions, he told them I was going overseas for 18 months.
....... like you said your most expensive Item, was your insurance willing to pay or was there a stipulation

In survival scenario, I think nothing holds as much value as food. I have decided to raise quails. It takes them roughly 6 weeks to start producing eggs from the day they hatch. Once they start laying, they'll keep on laying everyday for the rest of their five-year life span. It costs very little to maintain them, as oppose to chicken, which can take up to 6 months to start laying. They eat just about anything, including grass. Imagine what you could barter for with a basket of quail eggs. I started out by buying eggs from this fella on ebay: http://www.ebay.com/itm/50-Jumbo-Co...824?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3ccfa60560 . Within 2 months, I had my own establishment of reliable food source.

I did not know that about quail. It seems it would take a lot of eggs to make an omelet. How long do they incubate for?

I did not know that about quail. It seems it would take a lot of eggs to make an omelet. How long do they incubate for?

It takes about 2.5 weeks. Let me tell you--they'll grow exponentially. The guy that I bought it has this super jumbo breed and I bet he's making a fortune out of them. It takes me 3-4 eggs to make a decent size omelet. Let me tell you--they grow exponentially! I'm collecting about 90 eggs/day right now and it only costs me $1.50 to feed them as oppose to the $9/day I used to spend on my leghorn chickens.

It takes about 2.5 weeks. Let me tell you--they'll grow exponentially. The guy that I bought it has this super jumbo breed and I bet he's making a fortune out of them. It takes me 3-4 eggs to make a decent size omelet. Let me tell you--they grow exponentially! I'm collecting about 90 eggs/day right now and it only costs me $1.50 to feed them as oppose to the $9/day I used to spend on my leghorn chickens.
How do the eggs taste?

Latest posts

Back