I really need some comms help, PLEASE guys

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There are many issues on working with a transmitter antenna. Never use a transmitter without doing a SWR check. SWR meters has limitations of the frequency it can work on. There are HF/VHF SWR meters. There are VHF/UHF SWR meters. For better range raise your VHF and UHF antennas as high off the ground as you can. If you are only working 11 meter and 10 meter you don't need a G5RV antenna, it is too long. Buy a good CB base antenna and that should work for the 11,10 meter radio. Use good coax like RG-8X. For the VHF system use RG-8X or LMR-400. Do you know how to solder and install coax connectors?

There are many issues on working with a transmitter antenna. Never use a transmitter without doing a SWR check. SWR meters has limitations of the frequency it can work on. There are HF/VHF SWR meters. There are VHF/UHF SWR meters. For better range raise your VHF and UHF antennas as high off the ground as you can. If you are only working 11 meter and 10 meter you don't need a G5RV antenna, it is too long. Buy a good CB base antenna and that should work for the 11,10 meter radio. Use good coax like RG-8X. For the VHF system use RG-8X or LMR-400. Do you know how to solder and install coax connectors?
I like LMR-400 coax, Quicksilver company makes a crimp tool so you can crimp connectors on, be sure you have EVERYTHING really well grounded!!!

Welcome to Yaesu.com it is this radio . You are supposed to have a license to transmit but don't need one just to listen . Ignore anyone who says you do .
Thank you for being the voice of reason. You are 100% correct in that to transmit a license is needed. To listen you do NOT need one! The radio you linked to is a good solid radio! I have one, and have had zero issues with it! Also they are reasonably priced.

Latest posts

Back