I really dig deserts!

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pengyou

Reaction score
...or trying to, at least. I have some land and I would like to dig some pretty big holes in it to put an underground water tank, under ground propane, safe room, etc but the ground is really, really hard! There is only 3-6 feet of soil on it, although some would argue 3-6"! Backhoes are messy, make a lot of noise and announce to the world that you are digging a big hole. I have seen large trenchers that can cut through 5-6 feet of soil/rock - they are $250K machines, less noisy and faster. Does anyone have any experience using high pressure water jets? I know they are used for mining and can be used to cut through granite and bedrock. I am not Bill Gates or Warren Buffet, but will entertain any practical suggestions you can offer, to at least get my brain thinking.

A Bobcat front loader can do a lot of work for you digging a hole for a bunker. Are you expecting an American ICBM to land in your back yard anytime soon? 🤔

Hire or rent a mid sized excavator. You may need to get a hammer attachment to chip through that rock. A high pressure pump for cutting through rock would make more noise than an excavator would.
I would be concerned about your property being in a too populated of an area if people can hear or see equipment on your property.

I think there is only one neighbor now on the 40 acre quadrant. No, not expecting an ICBM, but like the idea that a small footprint is easier to protect. Of course, people will say that i am putting all my eggs in one basket.... I would like to first build the top 4' of the house with earth bags, dig a 4 or a 5' hole under that and then cover the roof...and then, if possible, increase the depth of the house in secret by another 8 feet. Then dig a hole some 20 feet away for a 500 gallon propane tank....

Latest posts

Back