I like to read.

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spooky

Reaction score
I lurk, and I read a lot. Tell me what you like to read? Book suggestions?

Have also recently gotten into gardening. What is something I should know?

Have a wonderful day.

CC6FA563-A8ED-4F6E-8615-9E00C5C2E3BF.jpeg

1F503F6E-AE95-491E-90CA-753130CD928A.jpeg

D254D7AE-103A-4CF2-B690-5FE2B4906150.jpeg

8C1F5F56-532D-45C8-A706-3CF38F4CC0AC.jpeg

DC1E548F-D17C-45FC-8DF0-F029C7BC6E8D.jpeg

2433E809-10E6-462D-B712-4402501E6226.jpeg

430D7E41-D477-4A33-93EF-FD6AB989F556.jpeg

8B5E2B35-6FCC-496A-8783-178DB320A945.jpeg
F434153E-6D7E-423E-ABE5-A43AF15D0C18.jpeg

16883-1F503F6E-AE95-491E-90CA-753130CD928A.jpeg
I lurk, and I read a lot. Tell me what you like to read? Book suggestions?

Have also recently gotten into gardening. What is something I should know?

Have a wonderful day.

View attachment 16880
Most shark attacks on humans are a situation of mistaken identity. The way to avoid a shark attack (if you know there are sharks around) is by not moving like a seal or other things sharks prey upon. When I was a Red Cross Water Safety Instructor (a long time ago in a galaxy far far away šŸ˜), one of the things we taught was how to get in a position that was not attractive to sharks and how to move. Unfortunately that was so long ago I forgot most of that training. But I do remember that you float on your stomach with your head down, don't kick your legs and stay still as much as possible, using a slow downward stroke with both arms to lift your head up to breath occasionally. I seem to remember something else about curling up into a ball, holding your shins with your hands to make yourself look unappealing to sharks.

Iā€™m not too worried. Iā€™m a debt collector that tracks people down for a living. Fairly careful online, and well armed and secure should anyone attempt anything.

Last edited:
I read everything.

Given the urgency I am feeling as of late, I have found myself reading less (down to two books a week) and implementing much of the knowledge I have acquired through reading more....but these are some useful prepping related, some relevant current event reads.

NATIVE AMERICAN HERBALIST'S BIBLE - 10 Books in 1: 200+ Ancient Herbal Remedies and Medicinal Plants to Improve Wellness and Heal Naturally, Creating
Tevez, Akecheta

Essential Rainwater Harvesting: A Guide to Home-Scale System Design (Sustainable Building Essentials Series, 11) Sustainable Building Essentials Series, 11 A Guide to Home-Scale System Design
Avis, Rob, Avis, Michelle, New Society Publishers

Alton's Antibiotics and Infectious Disease: The Layman's Guide to Available Antibacterials in Austere Settings
Alton MD, Joseph, Alton ARNP, Amy

The Earth Sheltered Solar Greenhouse Book
Mike Oehler, Ross, Anita Bedard, Katie Purviance, Cassie Eisenhower, et al.

Restoration Agriculture

"The American Empire Should Be Destroyed": Alexander Dugin and the Perils of Immanentized Eschatology Alexander Dugin and the Perils of Immanentized Eschatology

Blackout Warfare: Attacking The U.S. Electric Power Grid A Revolution In Military Affairs
Pry, Dr. Peter Vincent

The Worst Hard Time: The Untold Story of Those Who Survived the Great American Dust Bowl The Untold Story of Those Who Survived the Great American Dust Bowl
Egan, Timothy, Mariner Books

The Hungry Years: A Narrative History of the Great Depression in America A Narrative History of the Great Depression in America
Watkins, T. H., St. Martins Press-3PL

Building a Sustainable Business: A Guide to Developing a Business Plan for Farms and Rural Businesses Sustainable Agriculture Network Handbook Series

Rustic Carpentry: Woodworking with Natural Timber Woodworking with Natural Timber
Hasluck, Paul N., Kylloe, Ralph, SKYHORSE

Red Famine: Stalin's War on Ukraine Stalin's War on Ukraine
Applebaum, Anne, Anchor

Wood Gasifier Builder's Bible: Off Grid Fuel for the Prepared Homestead: Wood Gas in Minutes
Peterson, Ben

Hydrology and Soil Conservation Engineering
Das, Ghanshyam

Geospatial Technologies for Land Degradation Assessment and Management
Dwivedi, R. S., CRC Press

Medical Herbalism: The Science Principles and Practices Of Herbal Medicine The Science and Practice of Herbal Medicine
David Hoffmann, Healing Arts Press

Herbal Antivirals, 2nd Edition: Natural Remedies for Emerging & Resistant Viral Infections Natural Remedies for Emerging & Resistant Viral Infections
Buhner, Stephen Harrod

Herbal Antibiotics: Natural Alternatives for Treating Drug-Resistant Bacteria Natural Alternatives for Treating Drug-resistant Bacteria
Buhner, Stephen Harrod, Storey Publishing, LLC

The Complete Guide to Alternative Home Building Materials & Methods: Including Sod, Compressed Earth, Plaster, Straw, Beer Cans, Bottles, Cordwood
Jon Nunan, Atlantic Publishing Group (FL)

Democracy in America: The Complete and Unabridged Volumes I and II (Bantam Classics)
Alexis de Tocqueville, Joseph Epstein, Henry Reeve, Bantam Classics

Special Operations Forces Medical Handbook
Department of Defense, SKYHORSE

Survival Theory: A Preparedness Guide A Preparedness Guide
Hollerman, Jonathan, Apoc Publishing

A "debt collector". Now there's a fun job, chasing deadbeats every day.
I have some experience with collections, LOL.

I once convinced the president of the company I worked for to put the collection department under me (although I was technically the IT director, much of the collections process was automated requiring a lot of IT expertise and the head of the collections department and I were butting heads constantly).

The head of the collections department had set up a system that rewarded collectors for intentionally preventing people from paying off their debts in order to keep them in collections as long as possible. We handled collections for not only our own members but for other companies too, and we got a lot of angry phone calls from the owners of the companies about the way their members were treated by our collections department. Their concern was more for keeping their members (some of whom they knew personally) than squeezing every cent owed from them.

I convinced the president that getting people back to being members in good standing as soon as possible was much better for the company in the long run, and that should be the primary goal of the collectors. I changed the incentives so that we rewarded the collectors for making members whole instead of keeping members in collections in perpetuity.

The deadbeats you just aren't going to make whole, but the members who weren't deadbeats but just missed payments for some understandable reason responded well to efforts to get them back to being members in good standing as quickly as possible.

BUT...back to the subject at hand...
As far as reading physical books (dead tree books, LOL) the only ones I seem to read are classics. Other than that I tend to get everything electronically because the physical books I can read once and then put away or give away. Reference books you keep, and they start to pile up after a while if they are physical books.
I have a lot of reference books in Kindle format and pdf format. And of course it's difficult to share a Kindle book.

A "debt collector". Now there's a fun job, chasing deadbeats every day.

Iā€™ve tried other fields. Sadly Iā€™m good at it.

I read everything.

Given the urgency I am feeling as of late, I have found myself reading less (down to two books a week) and implementing much of the knowledge I have acquired through reading more....but these are some useful prepping related, some relevant current event reads.

NATIVE AMERICAN HERBALIST'S BIBLE - 10 Books in 1: 200+ Ancient Herbal Remedies and Medicinal Plants to Improve Wellness and Heal Naturally, Creating
Tevez, Akecheta

Essential Rainwater Harvesting: A Guide to Home-Scale System Design (Sustainable Building Essentials Series, 11) Sustainable Building Essentials Series, 11 A Guide to Home-Scale System Design
Avis, Rob, Avis, Michelle, New Society Publishers

Alton's Antibiotics and Infectious Disease: The Layman's Guide to Available Antibacterials in Austere Settings
Alton MD, Joseph, Alton ARNP, Amy

The Earth Sheltered Solar Greenhouse Book
Mike Oehler, Ross, Anita Bedard, Katie Purviance, Cassie Eisenhower, et al.

Restoration Agriculture

"The American Empire Should Be Destroyed": Alexander Dugin and the Perils of Immanentized Eschatology Alexander Dugin and the Perils of Immanentized Eschatology

Blackout Warfare: Attacking The U.S. Electric Power Grid A Revolution In Military Affairs
Pry, Dr. Peter Vincent

The Worst Hard Time: The Untold Story of Those Who Survived the Great American Dust Bowl The Untold Story of Those Who Survived the Great American Dust Bowl
Egan, Timothy, Mariner Books

The Hungry Years: A Narrative History of the Great Depression in America A Narrative History of the Great Depression in America
Watkins, T. H., St. Martins Press-3PL

Building a Sustainable Business: A Guide to Developing a Business Plan for Farms and Rural Businesses Sustainable Agriculture Network Handbook Series

Rustic Carpentry: Woodworking with Natural Timber Woodworking with Natural Timber
Hasluck, Paul N., Kylloe, Ralph, SKYHORSE

Red Famine: Stalin's War on Ukraine Stalin's War on Ukraine
Applebaum, Anne, Anchor

Wood Gasifier Builder's Bible: Off Grid Fuel for the Prepared Homestead: Wood Gas in Minutes
Peterson, Ben

Hydrology and Soil Conservation Engineering
Das, Ghanshyam

Geospatial Technologies for Land Degradation Assessment and Management
Dwivedi, R. S., CRC Press

My Amazon list just grew by a lot. Thank you.
I have some experience with collections, LOL.

I once convinced the president of the company I worked for to put the collection department under me (although I was technically the IT director, much of the collections process was automated requiring a lot of IT expertise and the head of the collections department and I were butting heads constantly).

The head of the collections department had set up a system that rewarded collectors for intentionally preventing people from paying off their debts in order to keep them in collections as long as possible. We handled collections for not only our own members but for other companies too, and we got a lot of angry phone calls from the owners of the companies about the way their members were treated by our collections department. Their concern was more for keeping their members (some of whom they knew personally) than squeezing every cent owed from them.

I convinced the president that getting people back to being members in good standing as soon as possible was much better for the company in the long run, and that should be the primary goal of the collectors. I changed the incentives so that we rewarded the collectors for making members whole instead of keeping members in collections in perpetuity.

The deadbeats you just aren't going to make whole, but the members who weren't deadbeats but just missed payments for some understandable reason responded well to efforts to get them back to being members in good standing as quickly as possible.

BUT...back to the subject at hand...
As far as reading physical books (dead tree books, LOL) the only ones I seem to read are classics. Other than that I tend to get everything electronically because the physical books I can read once and then put away or give away. Reference books you keep, and they start to pile up after a while if they are physical books.
I have a lot of reference books in Kindle format and pdf format. And of course it's difficult to share a Kindle book.

I have a kindle and really enjoy it. It is reserved for ā€œrecreationalā€ reading only though. Anything useful, that could be turned off by Amazon is hard copy only.
I'd like to hire someone to go after my ex son in law. He's over $50,000 behind in child support to my daughter. He's never paid a dime in support. This POS is definitely a deadbeat.
Iā€™m afraid Iā€™ve seen hundreds of people like him and thereā€™s just not much to be done.

Latest posts

Back