I just bought a sword and need advice

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Will the sword be helpful to me

• Will the sword help me

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • Will the sword not help me

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Probably a few more carrying a katana than a shield. Of course, most likely, anyone with a katana is going to have one made for decoration, not actual combat. I'm actually with you on this, too many firearms around for people to resort to fencing.

Once again. The first thing to go will be ammo not gas or food. I know this from experience. So having a sword, staff, spear, or machete is a great idea...

I've actually been taking a Haidong Gumdo class, its a Korean sword martial art using the katana and yes, a sword thats made for actual combat is pretty pricey, the lowest I've seen is about 2,000$ bucks. But the wooden swords for training can pack quite a wallop too (personal experience). You definitely want to try and get some professional training if you can because you could end up slicing your thumb off or something like that.

if your looking for a solid sword try Albion Sword works. I have 4 of theirs. I love the "Steward" myself.

For Katanas on the cheap that will actually work (90% of what you see for sale is crap), try badgerland blades. Not pretty but solid. They also make great machere like blades, their broadswords balance like a crowbar and feel weird in my hands. They don't feel like a real sword, but their other stuff is good.

Katanas have this mythos built up around them by the movies, it's a specialized single edged sword it's not a light saber. I actually like the Tachi style better myself but i'm odd in my opinion of Japanese weapons. If your in metro Milwaukee ever....go to the public museum. They have a surprisingly nice selection of Japanese weapons and armour if your lucky you can catch them while they're still redoing the display and get a reaaaallly nice look at them.

IN Minneapolis? Check out the Okeshott (sp) collection.

Iirc Dawson Knife co made some amazing Katanas in the 90's.

If you see it in a Bud K, or Atlanta cutlery, or Museum Replicas or Renaissance store etc etc catalogue chances are it's garbage and don't buy it, if you did hang it on your wall.

Latest posts

Back